Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking routing difficulties for download.opensuse.org

Question Checking routing difficulties for download.opensuse.org

I am looking for further advices and solution ideas for a questionable software behaviour like the following.

Code:
    Sonne:~ # zypper dup
    Retrieving repository 'devel:languages:python:numeric' metadata .....................................................................................................[done]
    Building repository 'devel:languages:python:numeric' cache ..........................................................................................................[done]
    Problem retrieving files from 'devel:languages:python'.
    Download (curl) error for 'https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/python/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/repodata/repomd.xml':
    Error code: Connection failed
    Error message: Failed to connect to download.opensuse.org port 443 after 11 ms: No route to host

Please see the above error message for a hint.
    Warning: Skipping repository 'devel:languages:python' because of the above error.
    Some of the repositories have not been refreshed because of an error.
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

How should technical details be reconsidered according to the affected system configuration while trying another software distribution upgrade?

Another simple check:
    Code:
    Markus_Elfring@Sonne:~> ping -c2 download.opensuse.org
    PING download.opensuse.org (195.135.221.134) 56(84) Bytes an Daten.
    64 Bytes von download.opensuse.org (195.135.221.134): icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 Zeit=14.2 ms
    64 Bytes von download.opensuse.org (195.135.221.134): icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 Zeit=13.4 ms

--- download.opensuse.org ping-Statistik ---
    2 Pakete übertragen, 2 empfangen, 0% packet loss, time 1000ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 13.351/13.793/14.235/0.442 ms

Default Re: Checking routing difficulties for download.opensuse.org

I just tried and no problem here:

> curl -o repomd.xml 'https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/python/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/repodata/repomd.xml'
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    100 1727 100 1727 0 0 9157 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 9186

So an intermitterend problem?

Question Re: Checking routing difficulties for download.opensuse.org

Quote Originally Posted by marel View Post
    So an intermitterend problem?
    I am observing network connection difficulties also with more installation sources.
    I am wondering why I stumble on an error message like “Failed to connect to download.… port 443 after 7 ms: No route to host” more often recently.

• It seems that the mentioned targets can be successfully contacted by the ping command.
    • I can retrieve referenced (XML) files also with an internet browser as usual.
      But it happened that further load retries were needed also by such a program.

I am trying to use the technique “DNS over TLS (DoT)” for my system.
    Does it trigger “surprising” software behaviour?

Should any access filters or service redirection rules be reconsidered accordingly?

Checking things with ping and your browser is a good idea but if that does not show the problem, try also curl from the command line following the example I gave above.

If ping and your browser works it are unlikely DNS issues.

… but if that does not show the problem, try also curl from the command line following the example I gave above.
    Another test command example:
    Code:
    Markus_Elfring@Sonne:~> time curl -o /tmp/repomd.xml 'https://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/repodata/repomd.xml'
      % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                     Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
    100  2159  100  2159    0     0  24952      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 25400

real    0m0,144s
    user    0m0,011s
    sys     0m0,011s

If ping and your browser works it are unlikely DNS issues.
    Would you like to point any related technical details out for further system configuration considerations?

Will additional explanation approaches become more interesting for an error message like “Failed to connect to download.… port 443 after 8 ms: No route to host”?

Did you try that curl command just after you did run into the problem with "zypper dup"?

I suspect the problem is intermitterend, zypper dup does quite some time download things and likely quite some are running without problems and only some trigger this problem. That makes debugging things harder. "No route to host" makes no sense if you can at the same time ping.

No, no good idea's to debug this, running wireshark will capture the network but no guarantee that will give a hint on what is the problem and interpreting the log can be difficult
    Only thing I find strange is the "after 8 ms", I think you ping times are likely already longer so why such a short time-out?

Did you try that curl command just after you did run into the problem with "zypper dup"?
    Yes (with a small delay on the mentioned day).

"No route to host" makes no sense if you can at the same time ping.
    Thus I became curious how to find more related explanations (or solutions).

Only thing I find strange is the "after 8 ms", I think you ping times are likely already longer so why such a short time-out?
    Such information might be in the usual range of the applied network technique, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by elfring View Post
    Such information might be in the usual range of the applied network technique, isn't it?
    Well, it depends on you ping times to the server for me it is:

> ping -c3 download.opensuse.org
    PING download.opensuse.org (195.135.221.134) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from download.opensuse.org (195.135.221.134): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=36.4 ms
    64 bytes from download.opensuse.org (195.135.221.134): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=38.2 ms
    64 bytes from download.opensuse.org (195.135.221.134): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=65.3 ms

--- download.opensuse.org ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2003ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 36.419/46.661/65.336/13.225 ms

That is why I think a 8 ms time-out is (too) short but I do not know if that is the problem.

… but I do not know if that is the problem.
    Will the chances grow that more network administrators would like to share further insights for the affected system components?

Would you find another information interesting for further considerations?

Code:
    Sonne:~ # zypper dup
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Download (curl) error for 'https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/network/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/x86_64/iscsiuio-0.7.8.6-346.22.x86_64.rpm':
    Error code: Connection failed
    Error message: Failed to connect to mirrorcache-eu.opensuse.org port 443 after 5 ms: No route to host

Code:
    Markus_Elfring@Sonne:~> ping -c100 mirrorcache-eu.opensuse.org
    PING proxy-nue.opensuse.org (195.135.221.140) 56(84) Bytes an Daten.
    …
    --- proxy-nue.opensuse.org ping-Statistik ---
    100 Pakete übertragen, 100 empfangen, 0% packet loss, time 99132ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 9.843/10.893/15.049/1.084 ms
    How do you think about to measure network service quality with the help of more advanced system tools?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast