Thread: Want to intall OPENSUSE 15.4 but with Cinnamon desktop

Default Want to intall OPENSUSE 15.4 but with Cinnamon desktop

I know there is a one click install for CINNAMON desktop for opensuse v15.4
    I have been using LINUX MINT and am more comfortable with the cinnamon desktop.

Is there any issues or stability issues with it. or Stick with the Standard GNOME ?

Default Re: Want to intall OPENSUSE 15.4 but with Cinnamon desktop

GNOME uses Wayland and not X11. If you can live with that then go Gnome.

I also use Mint in a VirtualBox machine but went with the MATE desktop version.

OpenSUSE will allow MATE - choose generic desktop (not KDE of GNOME) and on the software tab select MATE pattern.

I also have a KDE and GNOME Tumbleweed VirtualBox guests to test software patches to see it they break anything,

Good Luck.
    OpenSUSE 15.4 with VirtualBox VM's (XP, 10, 11, Ubuntu MATE 22.04, Mint, Manjaro, 15.4, Tumbleweed)
    Unix since 1974 (pdp-11, Interdata, AT&T, Tandy, Convergent, Sun, IBM, NCR, and HP)
    Linux since 1995 (Mandrake, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSUSE)

Quote Originally Posted by herculepirate View Post

Is there any issues or stability issues with it. or Stick with the Standard GNOME ?
    I have no idea why you want a "one click install", but Cinnamon is in the standard OSS repo and it's main component packages are even grouped as a Pattern. Thus use YaST (or zypper) to install it. You can also do this already at system installation time.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by herculepirate View Post

Do not use one-click install.
    Or use it very carefully - choose only needed repos.
    Cinnamon is rather rare DE in openSUSE, cannot tell anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I have no idea why you want a "one click install", but Cinnamon is in the standard OSS repo and it's main component packages are even grouped as a Pattern. Thus use YaST (or zypper) to install it. You can also do this already at system installation time.
    ILL Cinnamon is unavailable during installation: https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ll-system-role
    Not sure, have only hints on that.

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Cinnamon

https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...11:/Cinnamon:/

Quote Originally Posted by Svyatko View Post
    It may not be in the list shown rather at the beginning of the installation process, but from the list of things that are going to happen (short for the real installation starts), one can change the software selection. I am not sure the Cinnamon Pattern is on the DVD ISO image, when yes, you can include it during installation. It is of course always possible to add it when using a NETinstall. And else, indeed add it first after the installation is complete. There are, as always, many ways to do things in Unix/Linux.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    It may not be in the list shown rather at the beginning of the installation process, but from the list of things that are going to happen (short for the real installation starts), one can change the software selection. I am not sure the Cinnamon Pattern is on the DVD ISO image, when yes, you can include it during installation. It is of course always possible to add it when using a NETinstall. And else, indeed add it first after the installation is complete. There are, as always, many ways to do things in Unix/Linux.
    AFAIR, not available from DVD image, but maybe available with online repos.

To install cinnamon desktop on existing leap 15.4 install, use yast, from view menu, open patterns, look for cinnamon desktop, and click to install. Logout and upon relogin select cinnamon. I have not tested this but should work.

On a new installation from dvd iso, do not delect kde or gnome, select the generic desktop option. After the install of minimum generic desktop, use yast (or zypper) to install cinnamon as per above.

tom kosvic