Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black screen after zypper dup and grub config update on other OS

Default Black screen after zypper dup and grub config update on other OS

Long story short: I updated the system apps with zypper dup and, as I am using triple boot (Win, openSUSE and Mint, Mint starts the GRUB) I had to update the grub config to "update" the kernel on Mint, to make a USB adapter device work on my PC.

It worked thanks to Sauerland and arvidjaar, but later the zypper dup and reboot my screen resolution was very reduced (1024x768, original 2500x1600) and I tried to change the Xorg config, as I'm using Nvidia proprietary drivers and KDE Plasma, using
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig --allow-empty-initial-configuration
    as I saw from a similar problem here in the forums.

Then I rebooted and my openSUSE didn't load in Plasma. It showed a black screen, and was asking for my localhost and a password. And it does not run the terminal, neither the command line.

Can I cry now or there's some way to get out of there?

Default Re: Black screen after zypper dup and grub config update on other OS

Quote Originally Posted by aegiss View Post
    I'm using Nvidia proprietary drivers
    You should have realized at this point that it is impossible to answer questions without any information. So start with providing full output of "journalctl -b". You can install susepaste package and use susepaste command which does not need GUI.

Blog Entries

Can I cry now or there's some way to get out of there?
    Does Ctrl-Alt-F3 produce a login prompt?

Is all good if you boot the previous kernel?
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.4, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.4 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Does Ctrl-Alt-F3 produce a login prompt?
    It has a login prompt. It asks for my localhost (which I guess is the machine name, idk) and after the password. Without that I have no access to the command line.

Is all good if you boot the previous kernel?
    I haven't tried that. The GRUB is managed by Linux Mint, and the kernel version too. I'll try.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    You should have realized at this point that it is impossible to answer questions without any information. So start with providing full output of "journalctl -b". You can install susepaste package and use susepaste command which does not need GUI.
    Yes. The problem is that I couldn't even acess the command line. It asks for localhost and password. I provide both, but it says both are wrong.

Blog Entries

Yes. The problem is that I couldn't even acess the command line. It asks for localhost and password. I provide both, but it says both are wrong.
    After Ctrl-Alt-F3 on TW, what should appear is:
    Code:
    welcome message line
    blank line
    NIC name and IP address line
    blank line
    blank line
    <hostname> login: line
    <hostname> should be the content of /etc/hostname, something random the installer will create during installation that you can, and should, change to something meaningful to you at any time using hostnamectl or a text editor.

There may be less output if issue-generator is not installed.

How and where exactly is this "localhost" appearing? It should be expecting a login name, such as your username, or root, which after entry, will be followed by request for user's password.
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

After Ctrl-Alt-F3 on TW, what should appear is:
    Code:
    welcome message line
    blank line
    NIC name and IP address line
    blank line
    blank line
    <hostname> login: line
    <hostname> should be the content of /etc/hostname, something random the installer will create during installation that you can, and should, change to something meaningful to you at any time using hostnamectl or a text editor.

There may be less output if issue-generator is not installed.

How and where exactly is this "localhost" appearing? It should be expecting a login name, such as your username, or root, which after entry, will be followed by request for user's password.

Oh yes, it's this way:

Code:
    welcome message

IP address
    eno1: [ethernet connection I guess]
    wifi adapter name

localhost login:
    After that, it asks my password (which I input) but always says it's wrong. Idk if it does not recognize my keyboard format.

Blog Entries

Idk if it does not recognize my keyboard format.
    It could be, but I don't know anything about fixing that kind of trouble. I only ever use default EN. If you ask in one of the non-English forums someone is likely to know. With the current thread title here, you're less likely to attract the attention of a keyboard expert than if your thread title alluded to your current problem.

Oh yes, it's this way:

Code:
    welcome message

IP address
    eno1: [ethernet connection I guess]
    wifi adapter name

localhost login:
    After that
    After what? You are expected to enter user name here - either "root" or your own user name. It sounds like you just press Return/Enter.

It could be, but I don't know anything about fixing that kind of trouble. I only ever use default EN. If you ask in one of the non-English forums someone is likely to know. With the current thread title here, you're less likely to attract the attention of a keyboard expert than if your thread title alluded to your current problem.
    Nevermind, this time I could access the command line.

Tried the Ctrl alt F3: it just refreshes the login "page".
    Ctrl Alt F6 does nothing.
    Ctrl Alt F7 turns it into a real black screen only, with an underline symbol blinking on the edge.

Logged in, I saw that the files are ok, not corrupted or anything.

Which leads me to the point that the graphical interface, KDE, was trashed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast