Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black screen after zypper dup and grub config update on other OS

Default Re: Black screen after zypper dup and grub config update on other OS

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    After what? You are expected to enter user name here - either "root" or your own user name. It sounds like you just press Return/Enter.
    Sorry for being unclear. After inputting the user, it asks for the password. This time I could log in. I described on the post above.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aegiss View Post
    Nevermind, this time I could access the command line.

Tried the Ctrl alt F3: it just refreshes the login "page".
    Ctrl Alt F6 does nothing.
    Be precise. Ctrl, Alt, Fn means separately in sequence, while dashed it means together. Spaced between makes their meaning entirely ambiguous.

These I typed are not sequential keystrokes. All three (or two, as required) must be depressed together before any are released, at which time a switch to another becomes expected.

Did you give Ctrl-Alt-F6 enough time?

Ctrl-Alt-F2/F3/F4/F5/F6 should all produce exactly the same screen freshly after booting, except for one character, the integer in your previous keystroke. Once you have reached any of them, switching among them can be done without the Ctrl key. None should change if you don't login. There may be a short period of pure black before any text appears each first time, depending on your PC's overall speed.

In most scenarios, Ctrl-Alt-F7 is where X lives. In some, it's on Ctrl-Alt-F1. In situations where an X session is started from one of F2-F6, X will remain on the vtty, so its login won't return until after logging out of X.
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.4, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.4 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Be precise. Ctrl, Alt, Fn means separately in sequence, while dashed it means together. Spaced between makes their meaning entirely ambiguous.

These I typed are not sequential keystrokes. All three (or two, as required) must be depressed together before any are released, at which time a switch to another becomes expected.

Did you give Ctrl-Alt-F6 enough time?

Ctrl-Alt-F2/F3/F4/F5/F6 should all produce exactly the same screen freshly after booting, except for one character, the integer in your previous keystroke. Once you have reached any of them, switching among them can be done without the Ctrl key. None should change if you don't login. There may be a short period of pure black before any text appears each first time, depending on your PC's overall speed.
    Pressed them all the same time. Ctrl-Alt-F2/F3/F4/F5/F6 only seem to refresh or open a new session of the terminal. Nothing more.

In most scenarios, Ctrl-Alt-F7 is where X lives. In some, it's on Ctrl-Alt-F1. In situations where an X session is started from one of F2-F6, X will remain on the vtty, so its login won't return until after logging out of X.
    Ctrl-Alt-F7 is the only that changes anything. But now when pressed, it only show a black screen with a underline blinking of the edge of the screen.
    I guess this means that X is dead right now. When I noticed that Ctrl-Alt-F2/F3/F4/F5/F6 were changing sessions, I pressed Ctrl-Alt-F7 on each one to see if there were something different. Yet, all I saw was the underline blinking on a black screen.

Blog Entries

Are you able to login on any of vtty2-vtty6, so that troubleshooting can proceed? vtty7 will stay the same until a problem can be identified and a solution applied.
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Are you able to login on any of vtty2-vtty6, so that troubleshooting can proceed? vtty7 will stay the same until a problem can be identified and a solution applied.
    Yes, I can log in them all.

Blog Entries

From one of those logins, do:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | susepaste
    and provide the resulting URL here. That log might suggest to us the next move to make. If you get a not found message instead of a URL, then do:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in susepaste
    and then try again.

From one of those logins, do:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | susepaste
    and provide the resulting URL here. That log might suggest to us the next move to make. If you get a not found message instead of a URL, then do:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in susepaste
    and then try again.
    There it is: https://susepaste.org/54733394

Blog Entries

The problem is the NVidia driver failing to load. You may try: 1-rebuilding the initrd, or 2-reinstalling the NVidia driver, or 3-uninstalling and reinstalling the NVidia driver, or 4-uninstalling the NVidia driver and using the FOSS drivers for NVidia GPUs already provided and installed by openSUSE. I recommend you try the last option first, to ensure it is only the NVidia driver that is at fault. The third and fourth option include necessity to rebuild the initrd as the final step before rebooting to test for success. Please provide susepaste of Xorg.0.log for each test for success that results in failure. Uninstallation instructions for the NVidia driver you installed should have been a component of the installation instructions. They must be completed exactly and fully for the FOSS drivers to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12