Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyway to upgrade 15.4 to 15.5 via command line?? anything other than fresh install?

Default Anyway to upgrade 15.4 to 15.5 via command line?? anything other than fresh install?

Folks:

I like Leap 15.4 . . . but I also like "new" . . . . I tried a bunch of googly searches to try to get to where 15.5 Alpha might be available for download . . . but only found the release timeline page.

According to that page it should have been available since 7/9/22 (American dating) . . . . Awhile back I had to post here to get a link to the 15.4 Alpha download and this time it doesn't seem overt in providing ways of getting to 15.5??

But, my question relates to finding out if there is a similar way to upgrade SUSE as in Debian or Ubuntu flavors where editing the /etc/apt/sources.list to the flavor of choice will upgrade; i.e., like with getting to Sid from Bullseye install by changing "bullseye" to "unstable"???

Any way to do that to get my perfectly fine 15.4 install upgraded to 15.5 in my aging '09 MBP????

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyway to upgrade 15.4 to 15.5 via command line?? anything other than fresh install?

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    Folks:

I like Leap 15.4 . . . but I also like "new" . . . . I tried a bunch of googly searches to try to get to where 15.5 Alpha might be available for download . . . but only found the release timeline page.

According to that page it should have been available since 7/9/22 (American dating) . . . . Awhile back I had to post here to get a link to the 15.4 Alpha download and this time it doesn't seem overt in providing ways of getting to 15.5??

But, my question relates to finding out if there is a similar way to upgrade SUSE as in Debian or Ubuntu flavors where editing the /etc/apt/sources.list to the flavor of choice will upgrade; i.e., like with getting to Sid from Bullseye install by changing "bullseye" to "unstable"???

Any way to do that to get my perfectly fine 15.4 install upgraded to 15.5 in my aging '09 MBP????
    Hi
    That is probably a bad idea, unless you just want to test...?

Switch to MicroOS-Desktop or Tumbleweed? Running both here without issue, but MicroOS has better GNOME support, it's the RC release.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Canary Island Lat. 27.994547-15.405127 Lon-160m sea level

Default Re: Anyway to upgrade 15.4 to 15.5 via command line?? anything other than fresh install?

Hello:

Hi, 15.5 isn't there for now: and in case it was, in my opinion, it's in a workplace. (openQA).

As soon as it is made available, even before the test versions, you can see its logs on video. comments, etc. even have an iso and a live type.
    Although 15.4 is fine, there are still things to solve, better give time to time and when you least expect it, we have it in our teams.

As evidence you have the current ones, their live versions, Argon, Kripton Gnome next, etc.

Best regards .

Post Date: It would not hurt to experiment with containers, for me it is new, but perhaps it is a field to explore and open to many possibilities

"Testing" . . . just one of my small contributions to the cause . . . .

Couldn't quite understand what mikrios was saying . . . "it's not there," but it is as krypton???

Good, so test and share the results with others. So far you request others to test it for you.

Blog Entries

Couldn't quite understand what mikrios was saying . . . "it's not there," but it is as krypton???
    Hi
    So, today is the last day for features... https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/...CCNOOQTTIE6WB/

There are delays, likewise Holiday time, likewise still some OBS and Data center issues...

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    That is probably a bad idea, unless you just want to test...?

Switch to MicroOS-Desktop or Tumbleweed? Running both here without issue, but MicroOS has better GNOME support, it's the RC release.
    Hi
    So, today is the last day for features... https://lists.opensuse.org/archives/...CCNOOQTTIE6WB/

There are delays, likewise Holiday time, likewise still some OBS and Data center issues...

@malcolmlewis:

Thanks for the helpful replies . . . . I saw the "request for help" from the MicroOS folks . . . if it's possible to run it from a flashdrive as "live" I can do that. I wasn't looking for a fresh install to do, since I have a bunch of OSs already, but if I can boot it as "live" I could do that. On their page it said "install" . . . ??

It's not like I need to change 15.4 to something else, just upgrading it to 15.5 . . . without fresh install is what I was looking for here; as well as if and when 15.5 would be ready . . . ??

Seems like it's not quite there ready for testing . . . .

Blog Entries

@malcolmlewis:

Thanks for the helpful replies . . . . I saw the "request for help" from the MicroOS folks . . . if it's possible to run it from a flashdrive as "live" I can do that. I wasn't looking for a fresh install to do, since I have a bunch of OSs already, but if I can boot it as "live" I could do that. On their page it said "install" . . . ??

It's not like I need to change 15.4 to something else, just upgrading it to 15.5 . . . without fresh install is what I was looking for here; as well as if and when 15.5 would be ready . . . ??

Seems like it's not quite there ready for testing . . . .
    Hi
    AFAIK, it's an install or run in a virtual machine, no 'live' option. I'm guessing you could install to a USB device, but just to be sure would pull any drives especially if a laptop....

Hi
    AFAIK, it's an install or run in a virtual machine, no 'live' option. I'm guessing you could install to a USB device, but just to be sure would pull any drives especially if a laptop....
    @malcolmlewis:

Hmm . . . OK, thanks for that reply. I did read through the MicroOS & what Leap Micro download pages and it said something like, "set up for USB devices" . . . but yes it didn't say "live" . . . although it is something like 3.8GB in size, which is around what the "live" iso files are . . . . I have yet to do a regular install to a USB drive, which I understand is a little different than "burning" a live iso . . . definitely don't have time to pull drives to get that done safely, etc. Haven't messed with VMs in some years now, all my installs are bare metal.

Since I have my hands very full with Life stuff these days . . . I'll prolly wait for when 15.5 is available . . . to upgrade via console . . . that seems to happen around "beta" release time rather than Alpha???

Blog Entries

Awhile back I had to post here to get a link to the 15.4 Alpha download and this time it doesn't seem overt in providing ways of getting to 15.5??
    The 15.5 repos do not seem to have been enabled yet:
    Code:
    # zypper ref
    Warning: The /etc/products.d/baseproduct symlink is dangling or missing!
    The link must point to your core products .prod file in /etc/products.d.

Retrieving repository 'NonOSS' metadata ......................................................................[error]
    Repository 'NonOSS' is invalid.
    [NonOSS|http://mirrorcache.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.5/repo/non-oss/] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
    History:
     - [NonOSS|http://mirrorcache.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.5/repo/non-oss/] Repository type can't be determined.

Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
    Skipping repository 'NonOSS' because of the above error.
    Retrieving repository 'OSS' metadata .........................................................................[error]
    Repository 'OSS' is invalid.
    [OSS|http://mirrorcache.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.5/repo/oss/] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
    History:
     - [OSS|http://mirrorcache.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.5/repo/oss/] Repository type can't be determined.

Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
    Skipping repository 'OSS' because of the above error.
    Some of the repositories have not been refreshed because of an error.
    #
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.4, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.4 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast