Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    541

    Default One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    System is Leap 15.4, KDE, up to date. I have a 10TB external hard drive connected to a router, as smb://192.168.1.1/. The drive has three partitions. Until today all our machines could access all the partitions from both Windows 10 and openSUSE. Today one partition is acting very strangely with Leap. Trying to access a file via Dolphin starts the correct application, but it gives an error message that the file "does not exist". Refreshing the Dolphin folder sometimes will then access the file OK, but usually not. In the Dolphin partition properties window, having it calculate the size gives a different number with each refresh, and only about half the correct size, and sometimes reports the partition does not exist. The other two partitions behave correctly, as always. This issue is also present accessing from a Leap 15.3 system. There is no problem accessing the flaky partition from Windows 10 with several machines. Also, when I removed the drive from the router and USB connected it to Leap 15.4, everything was fine with all partitions. Putting it back on the router gave the same strange behavior. What could be happening here?
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550, X390

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    24,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    That is strange. I assume that you are using the SMB KIO to access the shares as opposed to mounting the shares and accessing them as a local filesystem?
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    That is strange. I assume that you are using the SMB KIO to access the shares as opposed to mounting the shares and accessing them as a local filesystem?
    I think what you state is correct. In Windows 10 the drive is addressed as \\192.168.1.1
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550, X390

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    24,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by crmrhm View Post
    I think what you state is correct. In Windows 10 the drive is addressed as \\192.168.1.1
    If you access a share via smbclient, does it report the file sizes consistently? For example, I can access a Windows 10 share '//192.168.1.19/Downloads/' like this...
    Code:
    smbclient //192.168.1.19/Downloads -U dean
    At the 'smb: \>' prompt, I can list the contents with 'ls' command. Type 'exit' (or 'quit') to quit.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 23-Jul-2022 at 21:05.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    24,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    Hopefully, it doesn't come to this, but here's how you can debug the SMB IO slave if required (eg for bug reporting)....

    https://community.kde.org/Guidelines...ugging_kio_smb
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    If you access a share via smbclient, does it report the file sizes consistently? For example, I can access a Windows 10 share '192.168.1.19/Downloads/' like this...
    Code:
    smbclient //192.168.1.19/Downloads -U dean
    At the 'smb: \>' prompt, I can list the contents with 'ls' command. Type 'exit' (or 'quit') to quit.
    I got
    Code:
    howard@HP-oS15KDE:~> smbclient //192.168.1.1/Elements/Recording/ -U 
    Password for [CANDH\howard]: 
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME 
    howard@HP-oS15KDE:~>
    That location contains 18 folders.

    and for one of the working partitions I get
    Code:
    howard@HP-oS15KDE:~> smbclient //192.168.1.1/Partition2/ -U         
    Password for [CANDH\howard]: 
    Try "help" to get a list of possible commands. 
    smb: \> ls 
      .                                   D        0  Sat Jul 23 14:37:34 2022 
      ..                                  D        0  Sat Jul 23 15:08:29 2022 
      .minidlna                          DH        0  Mon Jul  4 23:04:42 2022 
     Efraín Solís performs El Nacimiento de Cifar [DownSub.com].srt      N    27452  Thu Sep 16 18:01:43 2021 
     MediaCreationTool21H1.exe           N 19463448  Tue Jun 15 18:11:28 2021 
     System Volume Information           D        0  Sat Sep  5 14:53:21 2020 
     [LANGUAGE] Efraín Solís performs El Nacimiento de Cifar [DownSub.com].srt      N    27452  Thu Sep 16 18:01:13 2021 
     [LANGUAGE] Efraín Solís performs El Nacimiento de Cifar [DownSub.com].txt      N    25576  Thu Sep 16 18:02:28 2021 
    
                    4187592700 blocks of size 1024. 4185319468 blocks available 
    smb: \> 
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550, X390

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    24,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by crmrhm View Post
    I got
    Code:
    howard@HP-oS15KDE:~> smbclient //192.168.1.1/Elements/Recording/ -U 
    Password for [CANDH\howard]: 
    tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME 
    howard@HP-oS15KDE:~>
    That location contains 18 folders.
    No you can't access a directory within the share like that. Instead, you need to do
    Code:
    smbclient //192.168.1.1/Elements/ -U howard
    and then navigate to the folder using the 'cd' command at the samba prompt....
    Code:
    smb: \> cd Recording 
    smb: \Recording\>
    ....or use the -D option like this...
    Code:
    smbclient //192.168.1.1/Elements/ -U howard -D Recording
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 23-Jul-2022 at 21:05.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    541

    Default Re: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    No you can't access a directory within the share like that.
    Oh, thanks. With that I get
    Code:
    howard@HP-oS15KDE:~> smbclient //192.168.1.1/Elements/ -U howard 
    Password for [CANDH\howard]: 
    Try "help" to get a list of possible commands. 
    smb: \> cd \home\ 
    smb: \home\> ls 
      .                                   D        0  Tue Sep  1 10:17:06 2020 
      ..                                  D        0  Wed Jun  1 08:30:11 2022 
      anonymous                           D        0  Sat Aug 29 18:12:14 2020 
      share                               D        0  Sat Aug 29 18:12:14 2020 
    
                    4187592700 blocks of size 1024. 1883617276 blocks available 
    smb: \home\> 
    Obviously, this was with the external drive on the router. I had taken it off the router. USB-connected to both this Leap 15.4 machine and a different Win10 machine, access to all three partitions was correct. Puzzling.
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550, X390

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    24,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    Quote Originally Posted by crmrhm View Post
    Oh, thanks. With that I get
    Code:
    howard@HP-oS15KDE:~> smbclient //192.168.1.1/Elements/ -U howard 
    Password for [CANDH\howard]: 
    Try "help" to get a list of possible commands. 
    smb: \> cd \home\ 
    smb: \home\> ls 
      .                                   D        0  Tue Sep  1 10:17:06 2020 
      ..                                  D        0  Wed Jun  1 08:30:11 2022 
      anonymous                           D        0  Sat Aug 29 18:12:14 2020 
      share                               D        0  Sat Aug 29 18:12:14 2020 
    
                    4187592700 blocks of size 1024. 1883617276 blocks available 
    smb: \home\> 
    Obviously, this was with the external drive on the router. I had taken it off the router. USB-connected to both this Leap 15.4 machine and a different Win10 machine, access to all three partitions was correct. Puzzling.
    Yes, but the request was to use smbclient to report on file sizes for the 'problem' share directories and see if behaviour was different to that encountered when using Dolphin.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    24,120
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: One partition on NAS went haywire for openSUSE

    Out of interest, are you using the KDE version (5.24) that comes with Leap 15.4, or the version (5.25.3) currently offered via the KDE repos?

    FWIW, I did find this merge request, related to file listing caps that could affect large directory listings...
    https://invent.kde.org/network/kio-e...ge_requests/36
    ...but that should not impact the version now in use AFAIU.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 24-Jul-2022 at 00:20.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •