Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for BtrFS spanning 2 Samsung 870 SSD's?

Default Advice for BtrFS spanning 2 Samsung 870 SSD's?

I've had zero problems with BtrFS spanning 2 ea 2TB Samsung 870 SSD's since I disabled automatic snapshotting. (HP ZBook 15 laptop)
    (ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE=8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (ZBook 15))

The only "unusual" thing I encounter is that I must press F9 immediately after power-on during boot in order to get to the BIOS boot manager which displays opensuse as an option to boot.
    (Otherwise BIOS says no bootable OS's are installed.)

So I'm wondering if this will cause a problem with an online update from 15.3 -> 15.4, and, if so, are there any wise advice on the update (besides full backup before starting the update)?
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

Thanks!
    Patricia

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice for BtrFS spanning 2 Samsung 870 SSD's?

Hi
    This is UEFI boot, if yes, what does the following show (as root user);

Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    This is UEFI boot, if yes, what does the following show (as root user);

Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    Yes, native UEFI.

Code:
    /home/patti # efibootmgr -v 
    BootCurrent: 0000 
    Timeout: 0 seconds 
    BootOrder: 0000 
    Boot0000* opensuse      HD(1,GPT,5fb55b2a-5dbf-4ff1-803c-1f202b0132f6,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\opensuse\grubx64.efi) 
    /home/patti #

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pattiM View Post
    Yes, native UEFI.

Code:
    /home/patti # efibootmgr -v 
    BootCurrent: 0000 
    Timeout: 0 seconds 
    BootOrder: 0000 
    Boot0000* opensuse      HD(1,GPT,5fb55b2a-5dbf-4ff1-803c-1f202b0132f6,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\opensuse\grubx64.efi) 
    /home/patti #

Hi
    So is it meant to be secure boot, as in is it enabled in the system BIOS?

Does that UUID `5fb55b2a-5dbf-4ff1-803c-1f202b0132f6` correspond to the EFI system partition?

Code:
    blkid | grep "EFI system partition"

Hi
    So is it meant to be secure boot, as in is it enabled in the system BIOS?

Does that UUID `5fb55b2a-5dbf-4ff1-803c-1f202b0132f6` correspond to the EFI system partition?

Code:
    blkid | grep "EFI system partition"
    Thank you for the replies! I never went through the process of enabling secure boot.
    https://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~remzi/Cla...apers/iron.pdf

Yes, that looks to be right about sda1.

Code:
    NAME            MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT 
    sda               8:0    0  1.8T  0 disk  
    ├─sda1            8:1    0  512M  0 part /boot/efi 
    └─sda2            8:2    0  1.8T  0 part  
      ├─system-root 254:0    0  3.6T  0 lvm  / 
      └─system-swap 254:1    0 14.9G  0 lvm  [SWAP] 
    sdb               8:16   0  1.8T  0 disk  
    └─sdb1            8:17   0  1.8T  0 part  
      └─system-root 254:0    0  3.6T  0 lvm  /

/dev/sda1: UUID="AD54-396A" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="5fb55b2a-5dbf-4ff1-803c-1f202b0132f6" 
    /dev/sda2: UUID="O9f42c-BVZP-4Tmq-Z2rI-94jF-epJt-RZNXPz" TYPE="LVM2_member" PARTUUID="26b3c18d-2f5d-46cb-b7d0-e3df92ee5434" 
    /dev/sdb1: UUID="zNSnOP-2bsv-awh2-xGwM-qy53-ufVL-YB0JXB" TYPE="LVM2_member" PARTUUID="b6e621f5-08a1-4139-8ddd-8502785504df" 
    /dev/mapper/system-root: UUID="e711d272-7b60-4d9d-b3cf-415936023b52" UUID_SUB="b6904fb1-fd11-40d0-9b47-dce0d24f456b" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="btrfs" 
    /dev/mapper/system-swap: UUID="ed7b840d-1aff-4e35-aec7-e5cf99b22593" TYPE="swap"

I had thought that maybe the UEFI just didn't recognize current BtrFS boot conventions.

Blog Entries

Hi
    If you fire up YaST2 bootloader and change the timeout (default 8) to say 4 and save, it should do some foo and hopefully make the nvram entry to be recognized. If that doesn't work we can delete the entry and manually re-create.

Hi
    If you fire up YaST2 bootloader and change the timeout (default 8) to say 4 and save, it should do some foo and hopefully make the nvram entry to be recognized. If that doesn't work we can delete the entry and manually re-create.
    Again, thanks for your time and experience!

Just to clarify - if I don't hit F9 within about 3 seconds of power-on, then BIOS reports no OS installed and says it will shut down. It apparently doesn't even find a filesystem if I don't select F9 (which is labeled "BIOS bootloader"). Would the suse boot software even be activated? So that seems to be somehow a BIOS problem? (Is that what YaST is calling "nvram"?)

My main concern is that the existing BtrFS will be maintained during the 15.3 -> 15.4 process. I guess it should since an online update never goes through the FS setup that a fresh install does. The BIOS thing is sort of a separate issue. I guess you could call it a "bug" in BtrFS? I set up my BtrFS through the opensuse installer using merged-BtrFS defaults. So it's vanilla.

Blog Entries

Again, thanks for your time and experience!

Just to clarify - if I don't hit F9 within about 3 seconds of power-on, then BIOS reports no OS installed and says it will shut down. It apparently doesn't even find a filesystem if I don't select F9 (which is labeled "BIOS bootloader"). Would the suse boot software even be activated? So that seems to be somehow a BIOS problem? (Is that what YaST is calling "nvram"?)

My main concern is that the existing BtrFS will be maintained during the 15.3 -> 15.4 process. I guess it should since an online update never goes through the FS setup that a fresh install does.
    Hi
    Can you press F10 to get into the BIOS and check boot order, that secure boot is disabled etc.

Thanks Again.

Reverified no secure boot and native UEFI in use.

Boot order: there's no options for booting to specific partitions or disks, only externals (e.g., "USB hard drive"), or whatever is in the SATA bay (such as a CD/DVD). No forbidden options.

So it looks like this BIOS predates whatever hardware BtrFS is expecting, although F9 *does* find OpenSuSE as a listed option - so the UEFI is at least partially compatible with BtrFS.
    There is an "add custom boot" feature into which I can type a path. No examples given or help available in BIOS.

BTW: I didn't visit here during the forum big chanageover a while back, so I was demoted in the penguin ranks to a beginner.
    (although I've always asked strange questions)

native UEFI in use.

Boot order: there's no options for booting to specific partitions or disks, only externals (e.g., "USB hard drive"), or whatever is in the SATA bay (such as a CD/DVD). No forbidden options.
    UEFI does not "boot from specific disk" at all. That is simply not how UEFI boot works.
    So it looks like this BIOS predates whatever hardware BtrFS is expecting,
    Do not mix apples and oranges.

Your firmware is not aware of btrfs at all. But there are known cases when firmware accepts only Windows boot entry and ignores everything else. Your case sounds like this one. Show output of "ls -lR /boot/efi" (or "tree -Dh /boot/efi" if you have tree installed).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast