Tumbleweed Conflict

Which way to do I go?! :question:

YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2022-07-03 13:03:05

the to be installed tlp-1.5.0-1.1.noarch conflicts with ‘power-profiles-daemon’ provided by the installed power-profiles-daemon-0.11.1-1.2.x86_64

] Following actions will be done:

do not install tlp-1.5.0-1.1.noarch
do not install tlp-rdw-1.5.0-1.1.noarch
[x] deinstallation of power-profiles-daemon-0.11.1-1.2.x86_64

YaST2 conflicts list END

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20220701
KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.2
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.95.0
Qt Version: 5.15.5
Kernel Version: 5.18.6-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Memory: 31.0 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: HP ZBook 17 G2
System Version: A3009DD10303

I am offered different options:

# zypper -v in -D tlp power-profiles-daemon
Verbosity: 2
Reading installed packages...
Selecting 'power-profiles-daemon-0.11.1-1.2.x86_64' from repository 'OSS' for installation.
Selecting 'tlp-1.5.0-1.1.noarch' from repository 'OSS' for installation.
Resolving package dependencies...
Force resolution: No

Problem: the to be installed tlp-1.5.0-1.1.noarch conflicts with 'power-profiles-daemon' provided by the to be installed power-profiles-daemon-0.11.1-1.2.x86_64
 Solution 1: do not install tlp-1.5.0-1.1.noarch
 Solution 2: do not install power-profiles-daemon-0.11.1-1.2.x86_64

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c/d/?] (c): c

Two fresh bugs suggest the conflict needs to be resolved in a forthcoming snapshot:
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1201124
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1201125
I would choose do not install, so that when unconflicted packages are available, they’ll both want to upgrade, instead of only tlp.

Thank you!

FYI: https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1198549#c4, so the removal of power-profiles-daemon is on purpose.

[QUOTE=mrmazda;3139133

Two fresh bugs suggest the conflict needs to be resolved in a forthcoming snapshot:
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1201124
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1201125
I would choose do not install, so that when unconflicted packages are available, they’ll both want to upgrade, instead of only tlp.[/QUOTE]

I encounter the same update problem with the KDE Software Updates tool, which I use because I never got clear with the manual zypper command (always got hung up in endless-loops with the questions I was asked). There, I can “tick” the software packages to be updated. So considering the bug in tlp-1.5 (at least, that’s what I read from the mentioned threads), I untick

tlp-rdw (1.5.0-1.1)
tlp (1.5.0-1.1)

However, I still get the same error from above. Can someone tell me, what else I have to uncheck?
The power-profiles-daemon is not in the to-be-updated list.

Kind regards,

Flo

You should use Yast to update if you don’t like zypper

So, do you mean

YAST > Online Update

Or do you mean in the “YaST package manager” used for installing software?

And if I do so, would the automatic updater in KDE (“Software Updates 0.3.2 - Plasma PackageKit Updater”) still (or again) work afterwards, or would I have to do the software updates as admin in Yast for ever?

Kind regards,

Flo

For Tumbleweed, Yast online update won’t work.

You are still best using “zypper dup”. Or, if you prefer, use the packagekit updater, and revert to “zypper dup” when that runs into problems.

Hi,

Since all threads that I could find about this conflict have gone quiet, no unconflicting packages of tlp and power-profiles-daeomen have come up, and I hadn’t done updates for more than four weeks I felt forced to just try s o m e option. All I want is to keep the battery management working as it was - as it was working fine before - but no thread was clearly telling me how to do this. So my only hint was that I could find power-profiles in the process list but not tlp

ps -u root | grep power
 2260 ?        00:00:09 upowerd
 3055 ?        00:00:00 power-profiles-

ps -u root | grep tlp
[empty line]

From this I g u e s s (but I am far from being sure) that my laptop didn’t use tlp and so followed the 1st suggestion of this thread from mrmazda:

Due to the problem with the update tool described above, I used

zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change

(I read that --no-allow-vendor-change is the default now, but as this is not written in /etc/zypp/zypp.conf (everything is commented out there), I thought it couldn’t harm to name the option).

When asked how to resolve above conflict, I chose the option of keeping tlp 1.4 and tlp-rdw 1.4 unaltered. So far my laptop seems to work fine. Sleep mode and waking up works fine. Of course, I can’t judge yet, whether battery life is decreasing faster than earlier or not.

I’ll write an update here, if anything bad comes up the next weeks. I have a little doubt left, because zypper told me that the new version of the power-profiles-daemon (0.12-1.1) has “inferior architecture” when I looked at the details of the conflict (option “d”).

So thanks everyone for the hints in this thread!

Hm, one thing about power saving is not working very nice now:

After the laptop wakes up from sleep mode, Bluetooth is sometimes switched-off. That means, I can’t use my external mouse or keyboard and I need to flip open the laptop. Sometimes I can, manually, re-connect mouse and keyboard by using the touchpad but sometimes, the tick for “Bluetooth enabled” in the KDE menu bar is un-ticked. Then, there is no way to re-connect them: I can set the tick to “Bluetooth enabled” but reconnection still doesn’t work. I need to completely reboot the laptop.

As I hadn’t used the sleep mode so often before this tlp update problem, I can’t be completely sure, this problem wasn’t there before. Funnily, it only happens sometimes.

Kind regards,

Flo

and another thing:

After waking up from hibernating the mouse clicks don’t work. I can move the mouse everywhere, windows in KDE react and activate as usual if the mouse is above them, but neither left nor right click have any effect. And that’s not only for the bluetooth mouse but also for the internal touchpad of the laptop.

I have to log-out from the KDE session, then the clicks work again.

This is not accidental as the bluetooth problem but always the case when hibernating (at least so far).

Has anyone an idea, how to solve this?

Kind regards,

Flo

I am afraid that the problem you have now is not covered by the thread title anymore. So less (or even no) people will see what you ask. Having a new problem better start a new thread with a good title in the best fitting sub-forum. That is the way you pop-up as new thread and you may then draw attention to the best people to help you with the good title.