Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samba Windoze client permissions question

Blog Entries

Default Re: Samba Windoze client permissions question

Hi
    On windows, AFAIK you would need to do whatever is done for a share to be permanent when in windows (net use etc)??

In this app, if it wants to import, then it's saving the files to the local storage, can't it just use a folder?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Hi Malcolm,
    I was able to resume the windoze connection after a boot but I think the most important issue for me to bring back here, if I may, is having the shared directory on the Linux machine to be accessible rather than the root.

At present I have used the sshfs.r as you did in your demo. This shows me the root tree. I can get to the directory I need by drilling down but when the windoze Sony app it seems to see the whole path so all those characters are added to the "file" and many of my carefully curated media files are rejected by the 256 character limit. The command is clear:-

Code:
    \\sshfs[.option]\<remote user>@<remote host>[!port][\path]
    But I am struggling with the meaning of !port and \path. Are these on the linux server or being set in the windoze client mount?
    Also the options seem limited. Still trying to find the man page for these options which are not obvious in the sshfs --help pages.
    Cheers.

Blog Entries

I have it working now using \ as in windows for the path not / as in linux.
    Seems to be OK.

Blog Entries

The sequel to this is that the windoze system works well with sshfs if needed and rather well, for which many thanks Malcolm.

In the end however I have not used it in anger. My initial work with windoze did not resolve the problem with the USB Walkman device in spite of using the app "Sony Media Server for PC" as the instructions suggested. What I did do was re-format the device and re-install the firmware and then force a rescan of the data of a sample upload and all was well, but the Sony software is unsuitable for classical albums. I found however that once I had done the spring cleaning my Leap 15.3 data works just fine with no windoze in sight.

The Sony system within the device uses their strange understanding of albums so I have to ignore the choice of artist and composer but working with folders and I am fine and apparently the device can now work with SD cards larger than my 256GB. I think the library build might take a while!
    Thanks again Malcolm.

Blog Entries

Once again I wrote too soon. I am still having many issues with the Sony Walkman and have had to work in windoze for a bit. I have the sshfs share working but have run into a strange problem in that one subdirectory with an album is not found by windoze but is there when I go to the linux system. I have two albums of the same work by different artists. These are what I have in my ibm server using ssh connection to view these:-

drwxr-xr-x 2 alastair users 4096 Aug 28 2017 Bach - Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 (Andreas_Staier)
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alastair users 4096 Aug 28 2017 Bach - Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 (Trevor Pinnock)
    These same files are what I have on my HP Linux machine using NFS share from server and are the same as far as I can see:-
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alastair users 4096 Aug 28 2017 Bach - Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 (Andreas_Staier)
    drwxr-xr-x 2 alastair users 4096 Aug 28 2017 Bach - Goldberg Variations, BWV 988 (Trevor Pinnock)

I shall have to re-boot now to bring up the windoze system on this same computer and have no idea how I can save what I have written so far!

Seems I can edit from windoze if I am quick so here is what I have in my windoze machine:-

Music (\\sshfs.r\alastair@192.168.169.134\multimedia\AV_multimedia)

Sorry no code button in edit but these all appear in the explorer file correctly however when I try and copy the files to my SD card device the Trevor Pinockversion is "Not Found"

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Hi
    Maybe character encoding, spaces. Open a powershell and see if can copy manually.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

The pCloud didn't work when created by windoze but this may do the trick:-

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZ2hj4VZGWh2X1vMpEufoME29vepcmqUUSuy

This is now working. What is strange is that both files appear correctly in the share on windoze. It is only when trying to copy to the SD card that I Get the problem.

Blog Entries

I should have clarified, it is the link that is working not the file system.
    I have been through everything I can on the offending directory including removing possible illegal characters in them individual files and reducing the length of filenames within the directory but nothing worked.
    In the end I created a new identical directory on the SD card and copied the contents into it. This did work without any problems but I have no idea what is causing the underlying problem.
    Will press on.

Blog Entries

My problem has been solved. There should be a small health warning when mounting a linux system share on a windoze system.

My problem has been due to minor "errors" in my files when viewed by windoze. My music data had curated for many years using linux and I have usually avoided windoze illegal characters so that the files work in devices which are windoze orientated.

I eventually found three errors in 10,000 files, one "." at the end of a file name and two spaces at the end of a file names.

Because I had loaded my SD card using linux, it was only when moving files on SD card to another device that the problems became apparent.

My problem was exacerbated by having to use a console in windoze which has characters on a black ground. I couldn't find out how to change that and using cli on windoze the directories showed as dark blue on a black ground. Difficult to see those extra spaces!!!
    A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12