Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After using Yast sound to add sound card . . . no sound?

Default After using Yast sound to add sound card . . . no sound?

Folks:

Yesterday, while trying to listen to a voicemail message in TW as it installs I could barely hear the sound. I added a "volume" applet in theMATE toolbar and sound was set for maximum volume, but barely audible.

I looked for a "sound" preferences app and found nothing. Then looking through the long list of Yast items, found "Yast sound" . . . in there were two options for "sound card"?? I clicked edit and then the "add item quickly" ??? (something like that) . . . and it showed as "card 0"???

I tried to again listen to the voicemail, but this time, silence.

I "quickly added" the second line item, showing as "card 1"??? and clicked go in the message . . . again, total silence.

So, TW went from barely able to hear the sound to no sound after adding the card(s)???

Is this a known issue in TW? I long ago added Packman repo to this install.

I rebooted into Manjaro yesterday in the same machine and sound was there. I'm in LM this morning . . . sound is working. How to get basic sound working in TW??

Blog Entries

Default Re: After using Yast sound to add sound card . . . no sound?

Hi
    Using pulseaudio or pipewire?

Code:
    inxi -A
    I use just pipewire along with JamesDSP....

Code:
    inxi -A

Audio:
      Device-1: Intel C610/X99 series HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
      Device-2: AMD Baffin HDMI/DP Audio [Radeon RX 550 640SP / 560/560X]
        driver: snd_hda_intel
      Device-3: NVIDIA driver: snd_hda_intel
      Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.18.6-1-default running: yes
      Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.52 running: yes
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Using pulseaudio or pipewire?

Code:
    inxi -A
    I use just pipewire along with JamesDSP....
    @malcolmlewis:

Had to reboot out of LM to check that in TW.

I didn't "make any conscious decision" on that choice. Whatever "the system" had selected. Back in the PPC day we had to fiddle with ALSA to get sound fired up after a fresh install. I don't listen to music or videos much, but I would hope for basic sound functionality . . . .

Code:
    :~> inxi -A
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel 82801JI HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
      Device-2: NVIDIA GK110 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
      Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.0 running: yes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    @malcolmlewis:

Had to reboot out of LM to check that in TW.

I didn't "make any conscious decision" on that choice. Whatever "the system" had selected. Back in the PPC day we had to fiddle with ALSA to get sound fired up after a fresh install. I don't listen to music or videos much, but I would hope for basic sound functionality . . . .

Code:
    :~> inxi -A
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel 82801JI HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
      Device-2: NVIDIA GK110 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
      Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.0 running: yes
    @non_space

Does the following produce anything?

Code:
    speaker-test -c 2
    Your on MATE? If so nothing in the settings?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    @non_space

Does the following produce anything?

Code:
    speaker-test -c 2
    Your on MATE? If so nothing in the settings?
    Yep, in MATE . . . added the sound applet to the toolbar, set to max volume. I just checked the Google Voicemail message again, and this time there was "sound" . . . but barely audible. So, possibly shutting down and rebooting back into TW, now some recognition of the sound card that didn't take place after running Yast?

Some sound is better than "no sound" . . . I don't know if this is a "Frontier Communications" problem, in other words the rep from Frontier was barely speaking?? I'll have to see if I can play music or something . . . .

But, running your speaker-test command, did produce, what "pink noise" . . . and it repeats the test until I ctrl -c'd out of it??

Code:
    > speaker-test -c 2

speaker-test 1.2.7

Playback device is default
    Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
    Using 16 octaves of pink noise
    Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
    Buffer size range from 96 to 1048576
    Period size range from 32 to 349526
    Using max buffer size 1048576
    Periods = 4
    was set period_size = 262144
    was set buffer_size = 1048576
     0 - Front Left
     1 - Front Right
    Time per period = 10.947866
     0 - Front Left
     1 - Front Right
    Time per period = 10.945983
     0 - Front Left
     1 - Front Right
    ^C
    [edit:] Checked a YT video and there is now sound. This might be pointing to the Frontier reps voice as being inaudible?? But, then, again, after running the Yast move there was "no voice." Anyway, now there is voice. Don't know if any reason to go to pipewire?? [/edit]

Blog Entries

[edit:] Checked a YT video and there is now sound. This might be pointing to the Frontier reps voice as being inaudible?? But, then, again, after running the Yast move there was "no voice." Anyway, now there is voice. Don't know if any reason to go to pipewire?? [/edit]
    For the majority of users, there should be no reason to require audio driver configuration with YaST. If you still think there are issues, run the alsa-info.sh diagnostic script as described here...
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_tr..._to_run_script
    ...and post the link (to the output) that it generates here.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    For the majority of users, there should be no reason to require audio driver configuration with YaST. If you still think there are issues, run the alsa-info.sh diagnostic script as described here...
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_tr..._to_run_script
    ...and post the link (to the output) that it generates here.
    @deano_ferrari:

Thanks for the follow-up on it . . . I'll check into it when I get back to TW. Seemingly, there were no GUI settings for Sound that showed up in MATE edition TW . . . and, then compared to LM this morning, the Sound applet did not link to >Preferences . . . it just shows the cig bar to raise and lower the volume.

As I mentioned, back in the day, ten years or so back in PPC linux, ALSA had to be launched from the console and fiddled with there. Not spending too much time with sounds in TW, when I had this semi-important phone voicemail to listen to while in TW . . . combined with barely speaking agent . . . created the attempt to use YaST Sound to "get better sound" . . . which perhaps "un-did" something to then create . . . silence???

Blog Entries

Not spending too much time with sounds in TW, when I had this semi-important phone voicemail to listen to while in TW . . . combined with barely speaking agent . . . created the attempt to use YaST Sound to "get better sound" . . . which perhaps "un-did" something to then create . . . silence???
    This reads more like a level setting than a driver config issue. Since you are using PulseAudio, I would start with checking such levels via the graphical pavucontrol utility.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    This reads more like a level setting than a driver config issue. Since you are using PulseAudio, I would start with checking such levels via the graphical pavucontrol utility.
    @deano_ferrari:

So, now that I've sobered up . . . my only excuse is that in one of the recent large TW package upgrades the OEM "main menu" in the toolbar was removed?? and I had to add a "compact" or "brisk" menu to the toolbar . . . which is a bit "different" . . . and in fact there is a "Sound & Video" option, and in there is "Sound" and the level is set at 100% . . . . I tested the "speakers," only "front left" worked . . . if that means anything . . . figuring that the machine is a "mono" speaker?? "Front right" did not work.

I looked for "pavucontrol" and that doesn't show in the GUI . . . I tried to launch it in the console by typing "pavucontrol" . . . that didn't work. I put "pulseaudio" in the console and it said, "Already running" . . . no graphical controls showed up in the console . . . .

Anyway, I think it's "under control" . . . it was a series of errors caused by responding to a barely audible gal leaving a message that set off other errors . . . .

Blog Entries

@deano_ferrari:

So, now that I've sobered up . . . my only excuse is that in one of the recent large TW package upgrades the OEM "main menu" in the toolbar was removed?? and I had to add a "compact" or "brisk" menu to the toolbar . . . which is a bit "different" . . . and in fact there is a "Sound & Video" option, and in there is "Sound" and the level is set at 100% . . . . I tested the "speakers," only "front left" worked . . . if that means anything . . . figuring that the machine is a "mono" speaker?? "Front right" did not work.
    I still recommend that you run the alsa-info.sh diagnistic script as already advised. Share the link that it provides here, and someone can check all the pertinent details.

I looked for "pavucontrol" and that doesn't show in the GUI . . . I tried to launch it in the console by typing "pavucontrol" . . . that didn't work.
    No errors of any kind (when launched from the user console)? Anyway, perhaps show us the output from
    Code:
    pactl list
    I put "pulseaudio" in the console and it said, "Already running" . . . no graphical controls showed up in the console . . . .
    There should be no need to do that - the daemon is already running from when you logged in to your preferred desktop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast