Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online upgrade to 15.4 -- added repos make for problems

Default Re: Online upgrade to 15.4 -- added repos make for problems

I ran zypper dup and singlestepped through the 65 vendor changes but after that there additionally were many more changes removing files, adding files,etc that followed. I have no idea how many more changes there were. I cancelled. I will wait for a while to upgrade. I have software set up to view and analyze the first Webb images to be released july 12th. I will wait until after that so as to not lose what i have set up.

Where do I suggest that the repo maintainers keep the naming format for the additional 15.4 repos (like science,graphics, etc) and use "openSUSE_Leap_15.4" rather than just "15.4". Changing the format does not let you easily use the "releasever" upgrade simplificatian process. You still need to make manual changes due to the different naming format. They could just make another copy with the old naming scheme.

thanks all, tom kosvic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tckosvic View Post
    I ran zypper dup and singlestepped through the 65 vendor changes but after that there additionally were many more changes removing files, adding files,etc that followed. I have no idea how many more changes there were. I cancelled. I will wait for a while to upgrade. I have software set up to view and analyze the first Webb images to be released july 12th. I will wait until after that so as to not lose what i have set up.

Where do I suggest that the repo maintainers keep the naming format for the additional 15.4 repos (like science,graphics, etc) and use "openSUSE_Leap_15.4" rather than just "15.4". Changing the format does not let you easily use the "releasever" upgrade simplificatian process. You still need to make manual changes due to the different naming format. They could just make another copy with the old naming scheme.

thanks all, tom kosvic
    Hi
    That was a change decided on many moons ago, it will be staying like that going forward.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I would suggest that a note be added to https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

in the paragraph on "extra repositories handing" explaining that for the extra repos the url name has to be changed in format and "releasever" cannot be used for those repos as discussed in the article.

Where would I submit that suggestion?

thanks, tom kosvic

Blog Entries

I would suggest that a note be added to https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

in the paragraph on "extra repositories handing" explaining that for the extra repos the url name has to be changed in format and "releasever" cannot be used for those repos as discussed in the article.

Where would I submit that suggestion?

thanks, tom kosvic
    Hi
    Just log in and edit the wiki
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Which will be wrong because names of those repositories are entirely up to maintainers of those repositories so whatever you write here will not apply universally and you will need to add more and more special cases. It already quite clearly tells you:
    Whilst zypper dup can now better handle extra repositories during an upgrade, it may be desirable to manually check if replacement repositories for the new release are available, and to either adjust the URLs in /etc/zypp/repos.d before the upgrade, or to re-add the repositories after the upgrade
    Anything more detailed will become obsolete pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    it will be staying like that going forward.
    It is up to each maintainer. https://build.opensuse.org/project/r...SUSE_Leap_15.4

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    The link above points only to the apache repo and I see no immediately available reference regarding the naming of repos.

tom kosvic

Which will be wrong because names of those repositories are entirely up to maintainers of those repositories so whatever you write here will not apply universally and you will need to add more and more special cases. It already quite clearly tells you:Anything more detailed will become obsolete pretty fast.
    Whilst zypper dup can now better handle extra repositories during an upgrade, it is necessary to manually check if replacement repositories for the new release are available, and to either adjust the URLs in /etc/zypp/repos.d before the upgrade, or to re-add the repositories after the upgrade. In particular, those using additional repos from https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/ should expect differing repo naming structure between openSUSE leap 15.3 and openSUSE leap 15.4 and will need to modify the URLs accordingly in order to successfully do an online upgrade.

It is up to each maintainer.
    But the default changed in the openSUSE build service:
    > Repositories
    > Add from a distribution
    check openSUSE Leap 15.4
    the result is /15.4/ directory.

Was this change really intentional ?
    I'm asking because the information on the distribution type (Leap, ...) is gone, and 15.4 is not very informative.

If it is a bug, then adding links until obs is fixed would make the update smoother
    (it's a lot easier to check that `zypper --releasever=15.4 refresh` works well than to look for the new location of repo)

If it's deliberate, then so be it (I'm not arguing).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12