Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to make NFS connection from laptop.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unable to make NFS connection from laptop.

I had been setting up the nfs server using the nfsv4.2 option when creating the share using Yast. I have been looking again at this and thought I would remove the election for nfsv4 option when setting up the server.

I also note however that no nfs share is available in the client if I try to Chose a host. I get the following:-

No NFS server has been found on your network.

This could be caused by a running firewall,

which probably blocks the network scanning.
    Up to now I have always used the IP address for building the connection and never had a problem once I forced nfsv4.2 because that is handled differently but if I am using "highest available" I would have expected to have been able to see the host. When yast scans for hosts what protocol is it using to find the hosts?

Strange thing is that if nfs server is set up on workstation and then I also try and create an nfs client connection on the same machine and enter the IP address, no nfs exported directory is shown for that address.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    I had been setting up the nfs server using the nfsv4.2 option when creating the share using Yast. I have been looking again at this and thought I would remove the election for nfsv4 option when setting up the server.

I also note however that no nfs share is available in the client if I try to Chose a host. I get the following:-

Up to now I have always used the IP address for building the connection and never had a problem once I forced nfsv4.2 because that is handled differently but if I am using "highest available" I would have expected to have been able to see the host. When yast scans for hosts what protocol is it using to find the hosts?

Strange thing is that if nfs server is set up on workstation and then I also try and create an nfs client connection on the same machine and enter the IP address, no nfs exported directory is shown for that address.

Any thoughts?
    I have all these running:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # systemctl status nfs-* 
     nfs-server.service - NFS server and services 
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled) 
        Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service.d 
                 └─options.conf 
                 /run/systemd/generator/nfs-server.service.d 
                 └─order-with-mounts.conf 
         Active: active (exited) since Tue 2022-06-21 21:45:54 CEST; 1min 16s ago 
        Process: 8212 ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/exportfs -r (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) 
        Process: 8213 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd $NFSD_OPTIONS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) 
       Main PID: 8213 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) 
            CPU: 2ms 

Jun 21 21:45:54 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting NFS server and services... 
    Jun 21 21:45:54 erlangen systemd[1]: Finished NFS server and services. 

nfs-mountd.service - NFS Mount Daemon 
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-mountd.service; static) 
        Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-mountd.service.d 
                 └─options.conf 
         Active: active (running) since Tue 2022-06-21 21:45:54 CEST; 1min 16s ago 
        Process: 8207 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd $MOUNTD_OPTIONS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) 
       Main PID: 8211 (rpc.mountd) 
          Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915) 
            CPU: 10ms 
         CGroup: /system.slice/nfs-mountd.service 
                 └─ 8211 /usr/sbin/rpc.mountd

Jun 21 21:45:54 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting NFS Mount Daemon... 
    Jun 21 21:45:54 erlangen rpc.mountd[8211]: Version 2.6.1 starting
    Jun 21 21:45:54 erlangen systemd[1]: Started NFS Mount Daemon. 

nfs-idmapd.service - NFSv4 ID-name mapping service 
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nfs-idmapd.service; static) 
         Active: active (running) since Tue 2022-06-21 21:45:54 CEST; 1min 16s ago 
        Process: 8206 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/rpc.idmapd (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS) 
       Main PID: 8208 (rpc.idmapd) 
          Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915) 
            CPU: 2ms 
         CGroup: /system.slice/nfs-idmapd.service 
                 └─ 8208 /usr/sbin/rpc.idmapd

Jun 21 21:45:54 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting NFSv4 ID-name mapping service... 
    Jun 21 21:45:54 erlangen rpc.idmapd[8208]: Setting log level to 0
    Jun 21 21:45:54 erlangen systemd[1]: Started NFSv4 ID-name mapping service. 
    erlangen:~ #

i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Hi Henk, thanks for getting back to me.
    From the server I have:-

Code:
    alastair@ibmserv2:~> cat /etc/exports 
    /home/alastair/Mastermedia/multimedia   *(rw,root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check) 
    alastair@ibmserv2:~> 

and from the client I have:-

Code:
    alastair@IBMW530:~> grep nfs /etc/fstab 
    192.168.169.134:/multimedia                /home/alastair/NFS_Multimedia_NFS  nfsnfsvers=4.2                   0 
    alastair@IBMW530:~> 

Does this seem right.
    Like kasi042, I wonder about the lack of white space between the fstype specification filed and the options field.

And you did not answer my first and thus foremost question: what did you do and why do you think "unable to make NFS connection"!

At least show
    Code:
    mount /home/alastair/NFS_Multimedia_NFS
    Last edited by hcvv; 21-Jun-2022 at 12:53.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Hi Henk,
    I have explained what I did and answered the question as far as I am able. The absence of the gap is an error created when I copied and pasted the line because running this again to check on laptop with the command
    grep nfs /etc/fstab was correct and with a gap. (Am on workstation at present and laptop off so cannot show directly)

Playing around with Yast on the workstation I think I have found one possible problem, as usual probably through my ignorance, but I shall explain what I have found.

When I set up the NFS server initially I enabled the NFSv4 option. I then selected the directory to share and selected the directory I usually work on which is:-

/home/alastair/Mastermedia/multimedia

What I had forgotten is that Mastermedia is soft linked from the actual directory, which is on a different raid array on my system.
    The actual files are on a raid array mounted on /multimedia and through historical changes actually mounted on /multimedia/multimedia and symlinked to /home/alastair/Mastermedia.
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 alastair users     11 Sep 18  2021 Mastermedia -> /multimedia

I suspect that this is the underlying cause of the problem. I shall make the necessary changes and report findings.

Meanwhile I tried setting up an NFS share without enabling NFSv4. This seemed to ignore the symlink and take directly to the source file. No time to play with this more as I want to stay with NFSv4.

Blog Entries

At last I have it, at least to the extent that my NFS is working and I am working on the laptop.

In summary the problem had been cased by my selecting the symlinked directory from my working home directory tree. Once I selected the real mounted directory the NFS worked as it should.

The problem with yast not showing the NFSv4 remote directory for selection until the -force nfsv4.2 has been selected remains, but once the nfsv4.2 is selected then the remote directory is available for selection. I have still not been able to browse for remote directories and always have to use the ip address when setting up a client.

Initial experiments indicate that if I do not enable NFSv4 on the server the system looks past the symlink and masks my error and works as expected.

My problem has nothing to do with firewalls so apologies to arvidjaar and henk. I have no idea why stopping the firewall on the server did make the connection possible although only when rebuilt. I have no idea why what worked on another workstation client a while ago did not work on the laptop or why my NFS server has been running without a problem until now but it is now set up correctly.

Many thanks to all once more.

Initial experiments indicate that if I do not enable NFSv4 on the server the system looks past the symlink and masks my error and works as expected.
    Thanks for the comprehensive feedback. When I used a symlink in /home I experienced some nasty side effects. I replaced it by a bind mount which works perfectly.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Blog Entries

As a footnote to this issue I today checked the setup of NFS server and Client using Yast and find that the problem which caused me to have such difficulty has gone.

When I use the Yast tool now to serve a directory, even if I select the directory shown in my home tree, which is actually softlinked from another drive, the actual directory served is the correct one. In other words Yast goes correctly to the source and ignores the softlink. This is helpful because although Dolphin identifies that a directory is from a softlink by using italics, when browsing for a directory for selection when setting up to serve a directory, the fact that it is actually a softlink is not apparent. This is why I had so much difficulty earlier.
    I hope this helps.

My very, very personal idea:

When working as superuser, one does not use extra hiding layers like Dolphin. One uses the shell and in this case the ls tool shows very clear when something is a symbolic link.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Hi Henk,
    No argument from me and I agree but I had been using Yast, not Dolphin, and just selected the directory as usual from within Yast.

Of course I should be using cli to set up the server and client but still not comfortable with that and Yast is supposed to work for simple folk like me.
    Thanks for all your help and patience earlier.
    Regards,
    Budge

OK budge. Nice you have it running now.
    Henk van Velden

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast