Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The future of OpenSUSE Leap

Default Re: The future of OpenSUSE Leap

Quote Originally Posted by microlinux View Post
    folks who argue against stable releases,
    Yes, but, the Elephant in the room of stable releases of every Linux distribution is, currently, some dependency issues with Python and Ruby versions …
    • And, the simple fact that, the Ruby version being used by system components of stable releases is End-Of-Life …
    • And, some conflicts between the Python version used by Kernel/System components and, the Python version required by some newer applications …

The Server world is possibly more affected than the Desktop world because, some large customers have Python scripts performing major tasks which are not compatible with newer Python versions …

We'll have to make a decision as to what's more important –
    • Systems doing useful work and generating revenue or,
    • Newer applications which assume that, the newest version of the scripting language is always installed and available …

Interesting discussion. It seems like a difficult problem to tackle. I'm preety sure openSUSE folks will make a reasonable decision so I'm not too worried
    Best regards,
    Greg

Definitely an interesting discussion and I see a lot of this around the internet. I don't work for SUSE and I haven't been a user for that long, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I find it hard to believe that SUSE would be killing Leap off for multiple reasons.

1.) They literally just finished fully integrating Leap with SLE in 15.3
    2.) One of the points of that was to make "upgrading" from Leap to SLE easier I think
    3.) Packagehub - this is a big boost for SLE in many ways and is basically the Leap Backports repo if I understand correctly. It's entirely maintained by openSUSE and would be bad for SLE if this integration was removed
    4.) I'm sure there are other reasons that I don't know about

Yes, Leap is going to be different in some ways. But I just can't see it getting killed off. And knowing what I know about openSUSE, the upgrade from 15.5 to 16 is going to be a breeze like all the others. Not only am I not worried in the slightest bit, I'm excited about the changes. It sounds great to me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rootetsy View Post
    Yes, Leap is going to be different in some ways. But I just can't see it getting killed off. And knowing what I know about openSUSE, the upgrade from 15.5 to 16 is going to be a breeze like all the others.
    Yes, I share that view. Let's not give into a premature panic.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Let's not give into a premature panic.
    The current working view mentioned during the openSUSE Conference Q&A with the ALP team, was a time to initial release of about 2 years …

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    The current working view mentioned during the openSUSE Conference Q&A with the ALP team, was a time to initial release of about 2 years …
    Jumps into the time machine......

Miniatures attachées Miniatures attachées Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-06-22 09-52-47.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	1094  
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12