Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Error code: 5 Installing Tumbleweed

Angry Error code: 5 Installing Tumbleweed

Hey I tried to install tumbleweed twice but I have this error. Error code: 5 and when I start my computer and select boot from hard disk now it prints Booting from local disk... and hangs there nothing happens. is there a way I can fix this without reinstalling? like with the boot menu? or with a live cd? preferably with the boot menu. Or should I just reinstall without the UEFI option or whatever on my system? I could try that if you want. Thanks for your time and patience.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Error code: 5 Installing Tumbleweed

It is hard to be helpful when you have provided so little information.

Where did you see this "Error code: 5"? Was that during the install, or was that when trying to boot after the install?
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

This happened right after the installation was almost complete I think it said the command sh_shim or something doesn't exist I don't remember completely what the command was. It had something to do with installing grub I think.

I don't think the boot loader installed. But the live cd runs repair and mounts stuff so I can do that but I don't know how to fix this issue. If you want I can try installing it with cd rw without the online repos and see if it works. If I get the same error this time i can write it down. Anything you want me to do at this point just let me know.

Blog Entries

If you used the DVD installer or the NET installer, you should be able to boot that to the rescue system.

If you are able to do that, then the output from:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    might be useful.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

I can't copy and paste it but there are sda up to sda7. Is this at all helpful?

Code:
    Disk model: ST250DM000-1BD14
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optical): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk label type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x897659a8

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1 Linux
    /dev/sda2 Linux swap/Solaris
    /dev/sda3 Hidden NTFS WinRE
    /dev/sda4 W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
    /dev/sda6 Linux
    /dev/sda7 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order.

and there's more its just alot to write. heh. I can't copy paste.
    like /dev/zram0 and /dev/loop0 and a few others

Quote Originally Posted by errigour View Post
    Code:
    Disk label type: dos
    /dev/sda5 EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
    This is highly questionable.

UEFI specification talks about primary partitions only. Media device paths in UEFI are explicitly defined as
    Code:
    Valid partition numbers for a MBR partition are [1, 4].
    Having ESP on a logical partition may work, but is not required to work. And efibootmgr that is used to actually create UEFI boot entry also fails for extended partition.

The question is how this configuration was created. If this is something installer did on its own - this is a bug and must be reported.

As for the OP problem - I do not know what all these partitions are for, but if intention was to install in partitions 6 and 7, then the only solution is to install in legacy BIOS boot mode (and educated guess is that BIOS tries and fails to boot in UEFI mode, falls back to legacy BIOS mode and stops because there is no meaningful code in MBR).

Or wipe out disk partition table so that installation in UEFI mode can create new GPT layout.

Yes it is something the installer did on it's own I am going to make my own partitions this time and delete everything and then see if i get the error. If i do i will write it down exactly this time.

Thumbs up Re: Error code: 5 Installing Tumbleweed

Ok update, I didn't get the error this time and here's exactly what I did, I installed without adding online repositories, I actually made a 2gb FAT partition and mounted it /boot then i made a 17 GB swap partition and then I made the rest of my hard drive a partition that mounts /. I got a different error this time about a file that couldn't be found and I skipped that error and it installed anyways. I'm using a dvd iso install cd from the openSUSE website. Seems everything installed great I just got one message on my desktop about that same file that didn't install I will post it from the other computer. Thanks for your patience.

Angry Re: Error code: 5 Installing Tumbleweed

Software Updates gave me this error when I auto logged in.
    Update Error
    File './repodata/c8b749256c8405221d167fbc190cfdf721f4521281fa061b00cc677206a35ef5-primary.xml.gz' not found on medium 'http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss/'

Also I really like the plasma gui so far.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast