Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with Windows 10 VM on Leap 15.3 with KDE desktop and KVM

Blog Entries

Default Getting started with Windows 10 VM on Leap 15.3 with KDE desktop and KVM

Just starting with VMs and am wishing to run a Windows 10 VM on my host Leap 15.3 machine which uses a KDE desktop and KVM for the VMs.

I have a downloaded Win 10 iso on the host machine but seek guidance please on what initial requirements are needed to set this up in addition to having the windows iso.

All help gratefully received.
    Budgie2

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting started with Windows 10 VM on Leap 15.3 with KDE desktop and KVM

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Just starting with VMs and am wishing to run a Windows 10 VM on my host Leap 15.3 machine which uses a KDE desktop and KVM for the VMs.

I have a downloaded Win 10 iso on the host machine but seek guidance please on what initial requirements are needed to set this up in addition to having the windows iso.

All help gratefully received.
    Budgie2
    Hi
    Have a look at this link;

https://getlabsdone.com/how-to-insta...ows-11-on-kvm/

Since you have all the libvirt/kvm stuff installed you can ignore those bits.... just substitute Windows 10 where they mention Windows 11.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Getting started with Windows 10 VM on Leap 15.3 with KDE desktop and KVM

I have proceeded with the same VM installation process that I used for TW and used the Win 10 iso. When I get to the point where I have to customize the installation I have retained the Q35 chipset for now but am stuck on which Firmware I should select from the dropdown. I have tried but it takes me to a shell.
    Which should I use, ie that which relates to the host or that which relates to the guest. I had assumed /ovmf-x86_64-ms-code.bin but this landed me in a shell.
    I do have swtpm installed but it seems too old:-

[code]alastair@HP-Z640-1:~> swtpm --version
    TPM emulator version 0.5.3, Copyright (c) 2014 IBM Corp.
    alastair@HP-Z640-1:~>
    [code/]

What next?

Blog Entries

I have proceeded with the same VM installation process that I used for TW and used the Win 10 iso. When I get to the point where I have to customize the installation I have retained the Q35 chipset for now but am stuck on which Firmware I should select from the dropdown. I have tried but it takes me to a shell.
    Which should I use, ie that which relates to the host or that which relates to the guest. I had assumed /ovmf-x86_64-ms-code.bin but this landed me in a shell.
    I do have swtpm installed but it seems too old:-

[code]alastair@HP-Z640-1:~> swtpm --version
    TPM emulator version 0.5.3, Copyright (c) 2014 IBM Corp.
    alastair@HP-Z640-1:~>
    [code/]

What next?
    Hi
    That's the correct firmware, it's because you need to set the boot options in the virtual machine to set the windows dvd to be first in the boot order, or when you see the TianoCore logo press the esc key to get to the virtual machine BIOS and boot from the windows iso image.

Miniatures attachées Miniatures attachées Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-05-01 13-03-08.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	1072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-05-01 13-03-41.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	1075  
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 01-May-2022 at 11:04.

Blog Entries

I succeeded in installing Windows 10 Pro on my VM host but it ran quite slowly with the defaults so I thought I would install it again, for practice, rather than adjust the VM that had been built.

It took me half a dozen tries before I could complete another machine. Apart from my errors of omission when I reached the point where I had to select a drive for the installation nothing was shown whereas first time round I was offered the right drive.
    Also if I didn't press a key at the beginning to start it kept reverting to shell, so rather more messing about than I had anticipated. It might be worth while turning your instructive pdf into a sticky for folk like me!

Not sure why the glitches but will now have a go at Windows 11

More in due course.

Blog Entries

My Windows 11 VM is not yet running.
    In all cases I have to press a key once the installation is started or I get returned to a shell not the boot screen options.
    More importantly I seek some more help with the TPM. I had thought that since my machine was already running a secure boot and the TPM emulator was installed that all I would have to do in following the Win 11 thread would be to change the chipset to i440FX. Didn't make any difference. Clearly I have to edit the XML file of the machine and I need guidance, not least because the XML editing is disabled in Preferences and I have no idea which "Preferences" are referred to.
    The suggested edit I see is:-

Code:
    <tpm model='tpm-tis'>
          <backend type='emulator' version='2.0'/>
          <alias name='tpm0'/>
        </tpm>
    Not sure if any of this is correct. Will pause for help now.

Blog Entries

My Windows 11 VM is not yet running.
    In all cases I have to press a key once the installation is started or I get returned to a shell not the boot screen options.
    More importantly I seek some more help with the TPM. I had thought that since my machine was already running a secure boot and the TPM emulator was installed that all I would have to do in following the Win 11 thread would be to change the chipset to i440FX. Didn't make any difference. Clearly I have to edit the XML file of the machine and I need guidance, not least because the XML editing is disabled in Preferences and I have no idea which "Preferences" are referred to.
    The suggested edit I see is:-

Code:
    <tpm model='tpm-tis'>
          <backend type='emulator' version='2.0'/>
          <alias name='tpm0'/>
        </tpm>
    Not sure if any of this is correct. Will pause for help now.
    Hi
    Use Q35 not i440FX, also use CRB.

Miniatures attachées Miniatures attachées Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WinX_post_install_2.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	1078  

Blog Entries

Hi Malcolm,
    That has nailed it and installation is proceeding.
    I really do appreciate this and am sure that others will too.
    The details I had to be sure to include were:-
    Selecting any key at start or system reverted to shell.
    Selecting the disk driver for the virtual disk
    Adding this TPM.

So many options I could fiddle with now I am looking at such a big system but have started with 8192 GB and 6 cores as before.

If all goes smoothly I shall start on the servers.
    Will report later.
    Thanks again,
    Budge

Blog Entries

Hi Malcolm,
    No time to play with Win 11 now but I note it is impossible to overcome the starting hurdles until I get to settings app.

Most important issue is how to transfer license from existing machines to virtual machines, particularly for Win 10 which is needed for work,

Win 10 pro on HP update to Win 11 on VM? I don't want Win 11 for work so not critical now.

Cheers.

Blog Entries

Hi Malcolm,
    No time to play with Win 11 now but I note it is impossible to overcome the starting hurdles until I get to settings app.

Most important issue is how to transfer license from existing machines to virtual machines, particularly for Win 10 which is needed for work,

Win 10 pro on HP update to Win 11 on VM? I don't want Win 11 for work so not critical now.

Cheers.
    Hi
    Mine just activated, I might have pressed the troubleshooting button on WinXI. That's why suggested to just install WinX to start with, the TPM 2.0 option will allow you to upgrade, if and when you decide to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast