Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgraded My Nvidia Driver. Now KDE Looks Like It's Ignoring X11 Config

Default Re: Upgraded My Nvidia Driver. Now KDE Looks Like It's Ignoring X11 Config

Default Re: Upgraded My Nvidia Driver. Now KDE Looks Like It's Ignoring X11 Config

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I also made a backup of 50-nvidia-default.conf before I overwrote it with the rpmsave version as suggested by FrankyU2. I notice that the backup contains references to modeset, but the /etc/modprobe.d/50-nvidia-default.conf file that I'm using now doesn't contain any references to modeset. Would this be the equivalent of having nomodeset in Grub?

I can't even remember what modeset is about, it's been so long since I even had to give any thought to whether or not it is in use.
    The modprobe file 50-nvidia-default.conf was only missing after upgrading to to G06 drivers and restoring it allowed the G06 driver to be loaded after rebooting.
    Sorry if this is an obvious question but are you rebooting? If you've restored the G05 Nvidia drivers and your previous config files then you should be where you started before upgrading to G06.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    From the log:
    Code:
    [    33.210] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    [    33.210] (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    [    33.210] (EE) NVIDIA:     consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    [    33.326] (EE) [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:01:00.0: -19
    [    33.326] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
    Obviously this is an NVidia driver issue. The NVidia kernel driver doesn't load, therefore the NVidia X driver can't load, while preventing use of the Nouveau X driver, but allowing fallback to the crude FBDEV X driver with 1024x768 screen resolution.

Any *.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ or /etc/X11/xorg.conf affecting NVidia GPU graphics put there by NVidia driver installation must be eliminated for Nouveau or Modesetting X drivers to function. For proprietary NVidia driver installation, I suppose these should be eliminated as well prior to attempting, if success is to be expected. I would expect NVidia driver removal according to NVidia driver installation and uninstallation instructions would explain whether this is the case.
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.4, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.4 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Well if no amount of tweaking and tinkering has a chance of solving the problem because it's a problem with Nvidia's software, then I guess there's not much point in trying to draw any kind of lesson from this. I had a look for case-insensitive matches of nv or failed in dmesg (that's what's meant by the "system's kernel log" isn't it?) but "failed" didn't appear on any of the lines which had anything to do with nvidia. I didn't recognise anything as signifying an error on lines relating to Nvidia, though. Here's a sample of what I'm talking about, in case anyone is curious:
    Code:
    [    9.894169] audit: type=1400 audit(1653646353.789:4): apparmor="STATUS" operation="profile_load" profile="unconfined" name="nvidia_modprobe" pid=524 comm="apparmor_parser"
    I guess the sensible thing would be to just wait for 15.4 to be released and install G06 packages during the installation process. Then, if the Nvidia driver still won't behave in a completely clean install, just repeat the installation process with G05 packages instead.

Oh well. At least I fouled up my GPU install right before the release of a new openSUSE. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123