Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install without usb

Default Install without usb

Hello, is there a way to install OpenSUSE directly from the hard drive?

I found grml-rescue but it seems that it might be only for installing Debian-based distros.
    I tried it and grub finds it, but it only leads me to a screen that says "Press any key to continue..." which leads me right back to grub.

unetbootin only offers / as the target drive, and I worry that it would damage my system.

I'm currently on Manjaro, and I have multiple physical disks that I can partition in any way.

I just need a way to install without usb because dd, cat and so on always kills all my flash drives after only a few tries, and my only flash drive is dead because I did that.

Default Re: Install without usb

Check out this link, https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Expert_Installation. I've used this method, but using the Arch wiki as my reference. This looks like it's a straight forward reference for openSUSE. The author has a link to a reference for setting up a btrfs system for Tumbleweed.

Gene

Thank you, but unless I am missing something this does not seem to be what I am looking for...

My problem is that I cannot get to the installation at all currently. I need my UEFI to somehow get me there without USB.

I tried to extract the files into a partition, but trying to boot from it leads me to a glitchy command prompt where I cannot write anything.
    Using cat file.iso > /dev/nvme0n1p1 seemed to do the same thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mirveil View Post
    Thank you, but unless I am missing something this does not seem to be what I am looking for...

My problem is that I cannot get to the installation at all currently. I need my UEFI to somehow get me there without USB.

I tried to extract the files into a partition, but trying to boot from it leads me to a glitchy command prompt where I cannot write anything.
    Is this what you're after?
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...isk-with-Grub2
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

I'm not sure if it would have helped, but I was able to solve the problem, thank you.

In my UEFI, I have a disk BBS preference setting, which is similar to boot priority but separate. I needed to set it to the disk I copied the installer on, because setting boot priority alone was not enough to boot into it properly.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if it would have helped, but I was able to solve the problem, thank you.

In my UEFI, I have a disk BBS preference setting, which is similar to boot priority but separate. I needed to set it to the disk I copied the installer on, because setting boot priority alone was not enough to boot into it properly.
    Hi
    Once booted, can you show the output of the following (as root user);

Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hello, it says : EFI variables are not supported on this system.

I wonder why you are asking? Though I was surprised to see that.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure whether you will find this helpful:

https://nwrickert2.wordpress.com/202...it-tumbleweed/

This was for installing 32-bit Tumbleweed, but the same method works with Leap.

In this case, I used a USB flash drive. But a partition on the hard drive should work just as well. I unpacked the DVD iso to the partition. Direct copying of the iso won't work here, you need the files. After that, I setup grub2 for booting via UEFI. I installed grub2 in the EFI partition.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Try /dev/nvme0n1 instead. See also https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...e-as-everytime
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Thank you, I did that yesterday and it worked but I was not certain if this had made any difference. So I didn't speak about it. Doing that and changing the BSS priority along with boot priority worked for me yesterday. I wrote that I had been able to install it, but I don't see a way to edit my first post or the title.

But basically, I was able to install openSUSE successfully. Thank you everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast