Thread: How to change sound hardware with Leeap 15.3?

Unhappy How to change sound hardware with Leeap 15.3?

Hi,

This came up surprisingly while swapping a graphics card! It look like there is an audio driver for the HDMI output that
    got configured during the Leap 15.3 install, regardless of whether it was connected to a screen capable of audio output
    or ever used.

After swapping a AMD Radeon RX 550 for an RX 6800 XT, PulseAudio no longer launched. Starting and killing did not have
    any impact and simply showed that the PulseAudio deamon failed without more detailed reason why. Swapping back the
    original graphics card made PulseAudio work again.

Even using Yast2 Sound to remove the devices that were no longer there and adding the unconfigured one had no impact
    on the issue. It seems like the PulseAudio system configuration still referred to the inexistant card. I did wipe the user
    config in .config/pulseaudio without success, so it has to be the system config but it would be recreated instead of wiped.

Is there a way to force audio devices rediscovered and pulse audio reconfigured in the same way that happens during the
    installation of the system? While I found many guides on how to restart PulseAudio, what is needed is to reset it so that
    it discovers and configures currently installed audio devices and discards any non-existant ones.

Thank you
    - Itai

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to change sound hardware with Leeap 15.3?

Quote Originally Posted by idanan View Post
    It seems like the PulseAudio system configuration still referred to the inexistant card. I did wipe the user
    config in .config/pulseaudio without success, so it has to be the system config but it would be recreated instead of wiped.
    I assume that you meant the files contained within the ~/.config/pulse/ directory. Removing that and restarting PulseAudio should have been sufficient from a user perspective.

This diagnostic process might yield some useful info....
    Code:
    echo autospawn = no >> ~/.config/pulse/client.conf
    killall pulseaudio
    LANG=C pulseaudio -vvvv --log-time=1 > ~/pulseverbose.log 2>&1
    *Once done you can remove the extra line from the client.conf file (ie reinstate autospawning again).

Is there a way to force audio devices rediscovered and pulse audio reconfigured in the same way that happens during the
    installation of the system? While I found many guides on how to restart PulseAudio, what is needed is to reset it so that
    it discovers and configures currently installed audio devices and discards any non-existant ones.

Thank you
    Examine the journal...
    Code:
    sudo journalctl -b |grep -i pulse
    Check for any problematic ALSA sound config in /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf perhaps, and remove it if in doubt. In general no explicit configuration should be required these for most typical hardware situations.

The ALSA diagnostic utility will show if there are any low level sound issues...
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_tr...ed_information
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 18-May-2022 at 23:58.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5