Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    What a difference an SSD makes. Same NM10/ICH7 motherboard SATA chipset instead with Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 1 core, 2 thread, 4G DDR533 RAM, SanDisk/Team 256G SSD EXT4, 1462 packages to process, all downloaded in advance: 15m2s real, 4m28s user, 3m20s sys. Raw difference: 5.2356X faster. 4.7% fewer packages to process, so 4.9899X faster net, not allowing for faster CPU. Assuming CPU speed has direct effect on throughput, which I seriously doubt, 3.74241X faster.
    @mrmazda:

Well, that is interesting . . . my TW install is in a newer HDD . . . along with a Gecko rolling . . . and a Manjaro. I might have another Gecko in the newest SSD, along with Sid . . . they do appear to "zip" thru package upgrades compared to the TW side of things. Problem is the Gecko & Sid seem to reject the "time" modifier, so I can't seem to show "real time" used in comparison.

Perhaps one "solution" would be to move the "/" for TW over to the SSD and leave the user stuff over in the HDD . . . prolly cheaper going that way than buying a new cpu to just be able to run package upgrades for one OS . . . the one with the huuuugggeee numbers of packages to upgrade every 5 minutes . . . ????

Blog Entries

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

time is not a modifier. It's a command that needs to be installed in order to be run:
    Code:
    > which time
    /usr/bin/time
    > rpm -qi time
    Name        : time
    Version     : 1.9
    Release     : 1.15
    Architecture: x86_64
    Install Date: Sat Jan  1 19:19:47 2022
    Summary     : Run Programs And Summarize System Resource Usage
    Description :
    The "time" command runs another program, then displays information
    about the resources used by that program, collected by the system
    while the program was running.
    Distribution: SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.3, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    time is not a modifier. It's a command that needs to be installed in order to be run:[code]> which time
    /usr/bin/time
    > rpm -qi time
    Name : time
    Version : 1.9
    Release : 1.15
    Architecture: x86_64
    Install Date: Sat Jan 1 19:19:47 2022
    @mrmazda:

Ah . . . so TW comes with it already installed?? Because it works in TW and I never went out of my way to install it . . . unless zypper made the decision.

So, in the other SUSE based systems I can run "sudo zypper in time"???? And/or "apt" or "pacman" to run the same install of app/package "time"???

Blog Entries

A 32 bit hyperthreading 3.0GHz P4 can do alright with an SSD too. With all TW20220629 packages already available on the LAN server, processing 1399 packages took 12m37s real, 4m53s user, 3m15s sys.
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.3, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Just the realtime monitoring, plus history.

If you want to test your cpu, nothing beats prime95

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Extract the tarball and cd to the directory and run `./mprime -s` and pick your poison....
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    For Intel CPUs: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...rks-suite.html Gives the highest wattage at the power cord.

Copy and paste:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # time echo "scale=5000; 4*a(1)" | bc -l             

real    0m10.541s 
    user    0m10.539s 
    sys     0m0.001s 
    erlangen:~ #

@malcolmlewis && @karlmistelberger:

So I dropped out of the "rotation" and booted TW and tried again to "extract" both the "onemkl" and the "prime95" apps . . . which I was able to do "easily" in Lubuntu the other day, as far as "extracting it" . . . but ran out of time and couldn't figure out how to use it . . . .

But, over in TW I first tried the "onemkl" several times and when that failed tried the "prime95" which I also failed to execute the extraction???? the right-click shows "Engrampa Archive Manager" as the app to "open" the tar.gz or tgz file . . . that opens a window that shows the contents of the directory and in there are options in the window or drop down to "extract" the file. When I click on "Extract" it opens a window that has all of the directories in my /home directory and it has a radio button for selecting "All files" or "single files" . . . . I can't double-click on the choice to get it to select, and when I paste the name of the file/directory into the "single file" box . . . clicking "extract" does not do anything??

I'm assuming it is "pilot error" at work, but I have used apps to "extract" tar.gz packages before as I did in Lubuntu . . . but TW doesn't seem to be responding to it's own extraction apps??? What's up with that?

Is there a way to run the extraction via the console? Or do I need another app to extract the packages??

Blog Entries

Hi
    Sure, open a terminal and run;

Code:
    tar xvf l-onemklbench-p-2022-0-2-84.tgz

mkdir -p prime95
    cd prime95
    tar xvf ../p95v307b9.linux64.tar.gz
    The above assumes your terminal is in $HOME and both tarballs reside in $HOME.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hi
    Yes, just extract both in your $HOME is fine, no sudo etc required, run as your user.

For the intel one;

Code:
    cd l-onemklbench-p-2022-0-2-84/benchmarks_2022.0.2/linux/mkl/benchmarks/linpack
    ./runme_xeon64
    For prime95;

Code:
    cd p95v307b9.linux64
    ./mprime -s
    Hi
    Sure, open a terminal and run;

Code:
    tar xvf l-onemklbench-p-2022-0-2-84.tgz

mkdir -p prime95
    cd prime95
    tar xvf ../p95v307b9.linux64.tar.gz
    The above assumes your terminal is in $HOME and both tarballs reside in $HOME.
    @Malcolmlewis:

OK, that "xvf" command did work to extract the "onemkl" . . . which shows as a directory "benchmarks_2022.0.2" . . . but trying to run the "cd" command shown above gets "rejected" ?? Is that showing something that would "get into" the original tar file and then run the test?? I tried to just cd into the "benchmarks_2022.0.2" directory and then run the ./runme_xeon64 command and that also gets rejected???

I'm "close" but not quite there. : - )))

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    @Malcolmlewis:

OK, that "xvf" command did work to extract the "onemkl" . . . which shows as a directory "benchmarks_2022.0.2" . . . but trying to run the "cd" command shown above gets "rejected" ?? Is that showing something that would "get into" the original tar file and then run the test?? I tried to just cd into the "benchmarks_2022.0.2" directory and then run the ./runme_xeon64 command and that also gets rejected???

I'm "close" but not quite there. : - )))
    Hi
    Can you show the output, are you in $HOME?

Code:
    cd
    pwd
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920