Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Blog Entries

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    @malcolmlewis:

Thanks kindly for that, glad to hear there is some open source data app to do that.

Is that something that will install via:

Code:
    sudo zypper install sysstat
    ????
    Hi
    Yes, then check the service is enabled, started and running;

Code:
    systemctl status sysstat

○ sysstat.service - Resets System Activity Logs
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sysstat.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
         Active: inactive (dead)

systemctl enable sysstat

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/sysstat.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/sysstat.service.
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysstat.service.wants/sysstat-collect.timer → /usr/lib/systemd/system/sysstat-collect.timer.
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysstat.service.wants/sysstat-summary.timer → /usr/lib/systemd/system/sysstat-summary.timer.

systemctl start sysstat

systemctl status sysstat

● sysstat.service - Resets System Activity Logs
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/sysstat.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
         Active: active (exited) since Sat 2022-06-25 19:17:02 CDT; 7s ago
        Process: 17648 ExecStart=/usr/lib64/sa/sa1 --boot (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
       Main PID: 17648 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
            CPU: 71ms

Jun 25 19:17:02 systemd[1]: Starting Resets System Activity Logs...
    Jun 25 19:17:02 systemd[1]: Finished Resets System Activity Logs.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

@malcolmlewis:

Thanks for those details, I did scroll down in the linked github page . . . but a lot of times those "man" type pages show "too much data" that doesn't relate to operation of the app, etc. It did seem like toward the bottom it was showing the "how to" stuff . . . .

I'll check it when I rotate back to TW . . . I'm in Leap 15.4 in my old laptop right now.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    On 3.0GHz Core2duo with rotating rust I just did 1576 packages for TW20220622 in 36m28s real, 3m17s user, 1m30s sys.
    The 5600x upgraded 2856 packages / 2.77 GiB consuming 4min 4.880s CPU time, started at 05:22:17, stopped at 05:29:24.

Comparing the above data I doubt whether the time command properly catches all resources used by '"zypper dup" and its child processes.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

@karlmistelberger, et al:

Based upon what you said about my cpu being "slower one" I've been trying to find an app for OSX that will test and/or show the cpu performance spec, to show life expectancy and so forth . . . . It seems like Intel only offers something for Windows users, nothing for linux or OSX . . . .

Is there anything in linux that will measure cpu performance and/or show how it is doing in its daily tasks??? I know there is "htop" but I believe that just shows what it is doing, not **how** it is doing what it is doing????

How can I get that kind of data?
    Arch has some nice reading: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/benchmarking

For benchmarking overall performance I always run a full build of Web content using jAlbum. I asked them to provide a repo: http://jalbum.net/download/software/yumrepo/ They have a 30 days trial period. On the 5600x the build runs 12 processes on 6 cores for some 100 minutes transforming some 230 GiB. jAlbum does a great job in stressing the machine. Even a Intel Celeron 2.00GHz running openSUSE 13.1 did successfully build the albums. However processing 5 GiB did take some 8 hours:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...600X/633vs3859

Content creation is a great way to measure and compare real performance: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...n-Review-2319/
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Ah, a town . . . looks like in Baveria?? I have an older woman that I sometimes treat with acupuncture who grew up in Baveria . . . she says it's "the California of Germany" . . . which could be a complement . . . especially in regards to technology.
    Yep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremb...politan_Region

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    You run as your user, create a file say ~/bin/cpu_capabilities with your favorite editor and post the whole contents above, once saved, in a terminal, run `chmod 0755 ~/bin/cpu_capabilities` then run the command `cpu_capabilites` to see the result.
    @malcolmlewis:

So, you provided two options for checking out the cpu . . . I just haven't gotten back to TW just yet to try either of them out yet . . . . : - )

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    On 3.0GHz Core2duo with rotating rust I just did 1576 packages for TW20220622 in 36m28s real, 3m17s user, 1m30s sys.
    @mrmazda:

Looking more closely at the "real minutes" that is somewhat close to the time that my Xeon running in an HDD is taking to install the 2K+ package upgrades . . . . Seems like the "time" modifier is not accepted in Gecko or Debian systems to compare time used in my SSD installs or in my OEM HDD from '12 . . . . But, point is that "time" is used in the installation . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Arch has some nice reading: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/benchmarking

For benchmarking overall performance I always run a full build of Web content using jAlbum. I asked them to provide a repo: http://jalbum.net/download/software/yumrepo/ They have a 30 days trial period. On the 5600x the build runs 12 processes on 6 cores for some 100 minutes transforming some 230 GiB. jAlbum does a great job in stressing the machine. Even a Intel Celeron 2.00GHz running openSUSE 13.1 did successfully build the albums. However processing 5 GiB did take some 8 hours:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...600X/633vs3859

Content creation is a great way to measure and compare real performance: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...n-Review-2319/
    @karlmistelberger:

Thanks for those links . . . I have been looking for something to use up 8 hours of machine time . . . because, you know . . . happiness is a warm cpu . . . .

Blog Entries

Hi
    The other option is Cockpit and add the pcp metrics? I use it here, plus an easy way to manage virtual machines and access my MicroOS and ALP systems.

Miniatures attachées Miniatures attachées Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-06-26 10-51-09.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	1097  

@malcolmlewis:

Thanks for that info . . . . The first question that comes to mind is . . . is this showing "analysis" . . . or just showing the current usage data, the data would require knowledge to interpret . . . .

If I recall the "benchmark" site does provide some basic testing of your cpu?? Or has that also gone the way of the Dodo?? I recall at some point while changing my cpu in an old '00 PowerMac that I might have done something on a site that showed performance? Can't remember if it graded the cpu on a scale of some analysis . . . .

Blog Entries

@malcolmlewis:

Thanks for that info . . . . The first question that comes to mind is . . . is this showing "analysis" . . . or just showing the current usage data, the data would require knowledge to interpret . . . .

If I recall the "benchmark" site does provide some basic testing of your cpu?? Or has that also gone the way of the Dodo?? I recall at some point while changing my cpu in an old '00 PowerMac that I might have done something on a site that showed performance? Can't remember if it graded the cpu on a scale of some analysis . . . .
    Hi
    Just the realtime monitoring, plus history.

If you want to test your cpu, nothing beats prime95

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Extract the tarball and cd to the directory and run `./mprime -s` and pick your poison....

@malcolmlewis:

Thanks for that . . . seems like what I'd want to do . . . "stress" the cpu . . . . Looks like various options for OS's as well.

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast