Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Blog Entries

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

I still have 15 PCs running TW and/or Leap on Core2 CPUs, roughly half of which on SSDs, with anywhere between 2G and 8G RAM. Those without SSDs do seem a little lethargic at times, but not enough to retire them from their normal use. I still have ~10 32bit PCs with TW that I update a few times per year. Even though I have 3 quite newer/faster PCs with NVME (Kaby Lake (X2), Rocket Lake) than the 24/7 PC with mere SSD and HDD RAID I write this from (Haswell), this remains fully adequate to task, leaving me very weakly motivated to change anything, or spend money other than on yet another SSD.
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.3, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Blog Entries

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    @Malcolmlewis:

Thanks for the reply . . . hmm '07 . . . I have an '09 MBP that I running Leap 15.4 on . . . Core2Duo . . . actually very nice machine, upgraded the RAM to 8GB . . . . Sounds like a wise decision to not upgrade the TW install . . . I'm thinin' that might be my best option on my '12 MPro . . . if the cpu is now running "under par" . . . . Problem of course with not upgrading TW is that the tumbling tumbleweed keeps on rolling . . . then the only way to "catch up" to it is . . . erase and re-install . . . ??? If I recall the TW installer does offer that option???

Anyway, on this posted "script" above, the whole thing gets copy/pasted into the root console . . . or just the first line?
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh -eu
    Hi
    You run as your user, create a file say ~/bin/cpu_capabilities with your favorite editor and post the whole contents above, once saved, in a terminal, run `chmod 0755 ~/bin/cpu_capabilities` then run the command `cpu_capabilites` to see the result.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    I still have 15 PCs running TW and/or Leap on Core2 CPUs, roughly half of which on SSDs, with anywhere between 2G and 8G RAM. Those without SSDs do seem a little lethargic at times, but not enough to retire them from their normal use. I still have ~10 32bit PCs with TW that I update a few times per year. Even though I have 3 quite newer/faster PCs with NVME (Kaby Lake (X2), Rocket Lake) than the 24/7 PC with mere SSD and HDD RAID I write this from (Haswell), this remains fully adequate to task, leaving me very weakly motivated to change anything, or spend money other than on yet another SSD.
    Hi
    Still a few more years of life.... but some are approaching the light at the end of the tunnel......

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    The erlangen 2022 upgrade is:
    • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core: $190
    • MSI B550-A PRO Motherboard: $140
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 GB DDR4 3200MHz: $127
    LOL . . . what is this "erlangen" thing? I thought that was Deutsch for "slow"???? Or is that "fast"??? : - ))

So, you mean those are your upgrades to what those two home built machine guys were talking about on the YT video? Or these are parts that you used to upgrade a cMacPro with??

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    You run as your user, create a file say ~/bin/cpu_capabilities with your favorite editor and post the whole contents above, once saved, in a terminal, run `chmod 0755 ~/bin/cpu_capabilities` then run the command `cpu_capabilites` to see the result.
    @malcolmlewis:

Ah, OK, thanks . . . still don't have much if any experience making scripts and firing them up . . . .

Hi
    Still a few more years of life.... but some are approaching the light at the end of the tunnel......
    Right . . . 32bit PPC was dropped years back . . . fading to darkliness. My old PPC '04 iBook sits in a stack of laptops . . . still boots and could be a "typewriter" machine, but with 993MB of RAM??? will barely check emails via the browser . . . basically not "in the wave" . . . .

LOL . . . what is this "erlangen" thing? I thought that was Deutsch for "slow"???? Or is that "fast"??? : - ))

So, you mean those are your upgrades to what those two home built machine guys were talking about on the YT video? Or these are parts that you used to upgrade a cMacPro with?
    Host erlangen started in August 2016 with a 6700K and is named after the town: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlangen

Other components are:

https://www.bequiet.com/de/case/642
    https://www.bequiet.com/de/cpucooler/1376
    https://www.bequiet.com/de/powersupply/1549

Samsung model: SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB size: 1.82 TiB
    Crucial model: CT2000BX500SSD1 size: 1.82 TiB
    Western Digital model: WD40EZRX-22SPEB0 size: 3.64 TiB

AMD Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X]
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Blog Entries

On 3.0GHz Core2duo with rotating rust I just did 1576 packages for TW20220622 in 36m28s real, 3m17s user, 1m30s sys.
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.3, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Host erlangen started in August 2016 with a 6700K and is named after the town: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlangen

Other components are:

https://www.bequiet.com/de/case/642
    https://www.bequiet.com/de/cpucooler/1376
    https://www.bequiet.com/de/powersupply/1549

Samsung model: SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB size: 1.82 TiB
    Crucial model: CT2000BX500SSD1 size: 1.82 TiB
    Western Digital model: WD40EZRX-22SPEB0 size: 3.64 TiB

AMD Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X]
    @karlmisteberger:

Ah, a town . . . looks like in Baveria?? I have an older woman that I sometimes treat with acupuncture who grew up in Baveria . . . she says it's "the California of Germany" . . . which could be a complement . . . especially in regards to technology.

Thanks for the links . . . the case looks very tidy . . . has slots for three drives of different ilk . . . . I'll have to give it some research . . . might be a fun project to play around with . . . .

I guess the question remains, how to test or evaluate the present cpu for "energy" and lifespan???? Since it seems to be slowing down in performance levels???

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    On 3.0GHz Core2duo with rotating rust I just did 1576 packages for TW20220622 in 36m28s real, 3m17s user, 1m30s sys.
    @mrmazda:

Alrighty . . . I have an '09 C2D, but I think it's a 2.5 GHz?? it's not a 3.0 . . . it's actually a very nice computer, still using it I put an EVO 860 SSD in it and RAM at 8GB . . . now it has Leap 15.4?? . . . so the package upgrades are more "normal" in volume . . . .

What matters is CPU, RAM and SSDs.

Replacing the HDD by a SSD might help. Beware: cached reads of your server cpu are substantially slower than of the entry level.
    @karlmistelberger, et al:

Based upon what you said about my cpu being "slower one" I've been trying to find an app for OSX that will test and/or show the cpu performance spec, to show life expectancy and so forth . . . . It seems like Intel only offers something for Windows users, nothing for linux or OSX . . . .

Is there anything in linux that will measure cpu performance and/or show how it is doing in its daily tasks??? I know there is "htop" but I believe that just shows what it is doing, not **how** it is doing what it is doing????

How can I get that kind of data?

Blog Entries

@karlmistelberger, et al:

Based upon what you said about my cpu being "slower one" I've been trying to find an app for OSX that will test and/or show the cpu performance spec, to show life expectancy and so forth . . . . It seems like Intel only offers something for Windows users, nothing for linux or OSX . . . .

Is there anything in linux that will measure cpu performance and/or show how it is doing in its daily tasks??? I know there is "htop" but I believe that just shows what it is doing, not **how** it is doing what it is doing????

How can I get that kind of data?
    Hi
    Install the sysstat package https://github.com/sysstat/sysstat start the sysstat service ad should get data.

Hi
    Install the sysstat package https://github.com/sysstat/sysstat start the sysstat service ad should get data.
    @malcolmlewis:

Thanks kindly for that, glad to hear there is some open source data app to do that.

Is that something that will install via:

Code:
    sudo zypper install sysstat
    ????

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast