Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

@karlmistelberger,

Please be careful using expressions that normally are not allowed on the forums. As you see people can take them personally, even if they are not intended to be so.

I hope the real intention of the expression is clear to all now.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I hope the real intention of the expression is clear to all now.
    Something is missing (it's not clear to me).
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.3, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

It is mend to be funny, and it made me smile.

First of all he did not just say to shut up, your pulling something out of context.

He said shut up and dup. Dup like in zypper dup.

I am also starting to feel old reading this. What is it with people these days that they are so easily offended?

He is trying to help, by showing how he updates. Why not focus on him trying to help, instead of focusing on two words, that you are not interpreting right.

Maybe this is a language thingy. I speak with a lot of native English speaking people (UK and USA) , and I can assure you, he does not want you to shut up.

Ever heard of the expression break a leg? That does not mean, they want you to break a leg. It means the opposite, its a way of saying good luck. (mostly UK)
    My point being, shut up and dup is also an expression. You can't leave the dup part out, and then claim he wants you to shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Something is missing (it's not clear to me).
    Yep . . . still unclear. Asa native English speaking the phrase "shut up" . . . in any context . . . means just that. I understand that non-native English speakers may not understand the total meaning of the words as we do as primary users. Let's say Karl has a service that he calls "shut up and dup" that he provides to people, for a fee . . . similar to the "shut up and dance" crowd . . . he should have a copyright symbol after the phrase to show benign intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    It is mend to be funny, and it made me smile.

First of all he did not just say to shut up, your pulling something out of context.

He said shut up and dup. Dup like in zypper dup.

I am also starting to feel old reading this. What is it with people these days that they are so easily offended?

He is trying to help, by showing how he updates. Why not focus on him trying to help, instead of focusing on two words, that you are not interpreting right.

Maybe this is a language thingy. I speak with a lot of native English speaking people (UK and USA) , and I can assure you, he does not want you to shut up.
    @Gps2010:

Yes, it's "a language thing" . . . if the words "shut up" are in the sentence . . . adding "dup" into it does not change the meaning . . . which is less than friendly. Among "friends" people might say that, but on a forum . . . the meaning is similar to STFU . . . . So, computer techs might see that phrase as an amusing antidote to the trials and tribulations of coding . . . but, not really.

If you read through the thread you can see the range of comments, some quite helpful, others not so much . . . followed by the "shut up and dup" comment . . . that was the "bridge too far" . . . .

I see that Karl did offer suggestions, and in the past he has been helpful in my other posts, I can appreciate him for that effort, while also pointing out a problem--since we are in "Chit-chat" . . . .

Which, BTW I did post the "results" from his suggested command run in Gecko TW . . . and it showed . . . nothing. So, there must have been some issue with it??

I also stand by my issues with having to process the huge number of packages as "regular maintenance" of a linux OS . . . . Today, in Manjaro a similar "balloon" package upgrade . . . 332!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by non_space View Post
    I also stand by my issues with having to process the huge number of packages as "regular maintenance" of a linux OS . . . . Today, in Manjaro a similar "balloon" package upgrade . . . 332!!!!
    Hi
    Because Tumbleweed is always on the bleeding edge of things as well as having additional up to date features with the latest compilers, glibc version, security features (as in not having to create backported patches) etc. It's just a nature of the beast, so to speak. 12 released snapshots so far this month... it just rolls along like a Tumbleweed....

I see these from February, https://www.reddit.com/r/ManjaroLinu...ion_so_behind/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/ManjaroLinu..._of_the_times/ ?
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 19-May-2022 at 09:36.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

\If you read through the thread you can see the range of comments, some quite helpful, others not so much . . . followed by the "shut up and dup" comment . . . that was the "bridge too far" . . . .
    I took that as an allusion to the corresponding "shut up and compute" from quantum physics.

I saw the idea as "don't worry about what it all means, just do what you need to do".
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I took that as an allusion to the corresponding "shut up and compute" from quantum physics.

I saw the idea as "don't worry about what it all means, just do what you need to do".
    Some ramifications: https://physicstoday.scitation.org/d...ournalCode=pto

For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
    —Matthew 25:29.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Feynman!

Now I know why this shut up and dup sounded so familiar, but I could not put my finger on it.

I watch PBS regular and there this is mentioned too, about quantum mechanics.
    Just shut up and calculate.

OK, "classical" references . . . in quantum physics education, where the "brilliant but eccentric" professor tells you to "Shut up and calculate" . . . is hilarious . . . ?? Coming from a fine art and then Trad'l Chinese Medicine background nothing connects . . . we didn't have our teachers saying, "Shut up and paint" . . . "shut up and drink beer" . . . maybe . . . .

Code:
     	Code:
     	# journalctl -u dup -q -g Consumed 
     #

Since nobody got back to me on this, I'm assuming that the command came back empty because I don't have "dup" installed??? Looking over Karl's data on dup provides some data, but since we run "zypper dup -l" . . . what is the difference?

It's possible that the suggestion to "shut up and dup" might be the way to deal with these outrageously huge package upgrades . . . "in the background" might be better than, "in the TTY for two hours" . . . .

But, what am I installing?? "zypper in dup" . . . and then I'm guessing that it has to be programmed to run???

OK, "classical" references . . . in quantum physics education, where the "brilliant but eccentric" professor tells you to "Shut up and calculate" . . . is hilarious . . . ?? Coming from a fine art and then Trad'l Chinese Medicine background nothing connects . . . we didn't have our teachers saying, "Shut up and paint" . . . "shut up and drink beer" . . . maybe . . . .

Code:
         Code:
         # journalctl -u dup -q -g Consumed 
     #

Since nobody got back to me on this, I'm assuming that the command came back empty because I don't have "dup" installed??? Looking over Karl's data on dup provides some data, but since we run "zypper dup -l" . . . what is the difference?

It's possible that the suggestion to "shut up and dup" might be the way to deal with these outrageously huge package upgrades . . . "in the background" might be better than, "in the TTY for two hours" . . . .

But, what am I installing?? "zypper in dup" . . . and then I'm guessing that it has to be programmed to run???
    Yep. Get familiar with systemd: https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...and-unit-files Then copy and paste from post #30.

"shut up and drink beer": http://www.mistelberger.net/Moderna/...-20/index.html
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast