Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    What a difference an SSD makes. Same NM10/ICH7 motherboard SATA chipset instead with Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 1 core, 2 thread, 4G DDR533 RAM, SanDisk/Team 256G SSD EXT4, 1462 packages to process, all downloaded in advance: 15m2s real, 4m28s user, 3m20s sys. Raw difference: 5.2356X faster. 4.7% fewer packages to process, so 4.9899X faster net, not allowing for faster CPU. Assuming CPU speed has direct effect on throughput, which I seriously doubt, 3.74241X faster.
    @mrmazda:

Well, that is interesting . . . my TW install is in a newer HDD . . . along with a Gecko rolling . . . and a Manjaro. I might have another Gecko in the newest SSD, along with Sid . . . they do appear to "zip" thru package upgrades compared to the TW side of things. Problem is the Gecko & Sid seem to reject the "time" modifier, so I can't seem to show "real time" used in comparison.

Perhaps one "solution" would be to move the "/" for TW over to the SSD and leave the user stuff over in the HDD . . . prolly cheaper going that way than buying a new cpu to just be able to run package upgrades for one OS . . . the one with the huuuugggeee numbers of packages to upgrade every 5 minutes . . . ????

Blog Entries

Default Re: "2321" packages to upgrade . . . on reboot another "204" yet to go?? Why???

time is not a modifier. It's a command that needs to be installed in order to be run:
    Code:
    > which time
    /usr/bin/time
    > rpm -qi time
    Name        : time
    Version     : 1.9
    Release     : 1.15
    Architecture: x86_64
    Install Date: Sat Jan  1 19:19:47 2022
    Summary     : Run Programs And Summarize System Resource Usage
    Description :
    The "time" command runs another program, then displays information
    about the resources used by that program, collected by the system
    while the program was running.
    Distribution: SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.3, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    time is not a modifier. It's a command that needs to be installed in order to be run:[code]> which time
    /usr/bin/time
    > rpm -qi time
    Name : time
    Version : 1.9
    Release : 1.15
    Architecture: x86_64
    Install Date: Sat Jan 1 19:19:47 2022
    @mrmazda:

Ah . . . so TW comes with it already installed?? Because it works in TW and I never went out of my way to install it . . . unless zypper made the decision.

So, in the other SUSE based systems I can run "sudo zypper in time"???? And/or "apt" or "pacman" to run the same install of app/package "time"???

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920