Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [hard disk failure] Partitions size incorrect

Default Re: [hard disk failure] Partitions size incorrect

The question from my side is still, what do you want help for? Have you any questions? You are hopping around, doing things faster then you can report here. So people her have no idea what your computer technical question is. At least, I haven't.
    Henk van Velden

wow in fact I didn't focused on QUOTE tag :}

Yes... I'm a little stressed. Even if finaly I have great hope concerning the recovery of the datas on the disk.

My questions:

Is this possible to repair a btrfs partition when the system says "not valid btrfs partition" ?
    I have saw, but I did not yet tried to reproduce, in testdisk that it was possible to set the partition to btrfs...

I can't remember if the last partition was ntfs|exfat or btrfs... as I never had issue with this disk, I never snapshoted the fdisk -l output.

I suppose that when I try to mount and the command says "not valid filesystem..." that means I have to find another way to say that the filesystem is btrfs for /dev/sde2 (I'm 100% certain) and probably exfat for the last one sde3.
    I'm still moving the files from /dev/sda2...two hours remaining :{

Your story is still a confusing one. And we can not be sure there ever was a Btrfs file system on the partition you are talking about. I get the idea taht those file system have just data on them and not an operating system (openSUSE). Thus it is very unlikely it was Btrfs. Or do you have a special snapshotting policy for that data?

Also, when mount says, even when you tell it that the file system should be Btrfs, that it can not detect it as thus, then you can be sure it is damaged, probably already in the Super Block.

BTW, you again fall back to things like "when the system says "not valid btrfs partition". I only accept such information when copied/pasted, including the prompt/command line, all output and the next, new prompt line between CODE tags. And no story telling. When not, you will not see me back on this thread.
    Henk van Velden

Yep it is confusing. Sorry.
    I set btrfs on this external drive that fell sunday night at least on two partitions.
    One partition has been backed up fortunately... I'm trying to access the two others but it seems the first and the third are completly messed up.

The disk wasn't running, wasn't powered, when it has fallen so I think if I rewrite a filesystem on this disk I could reuse it.
    I got no I/O errors when using testdisk and when I moved the datas that were recoverable.

All I could do is to use testdisk to "restore" the correct sizes of the different partitions.

When I read your posts, you think that you let it fall and that the shock did overwrite the partition table with another one that makes sense. That is unbelievable to me.
    Henk van Velden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12