Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: micro OS

Default micro OS

Is there a forum or community for microOS specifically? I'm not finding this here or elsewhere. I'm trying to learn more about it but the wiki and documentation is lacking.

Default Re: micro OS

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    the wiki and documentation is lacking.
    Have you seen https://microos.opensuse.org/?

MicroOS is reusing existing technologies, I do not see why one would duplicate existing documentation. My impression is that wiki gives decent overview of technologies used to build MicroOS images, with links to individual descriptions. May be if you have more specific questions someone could answer them.

Blog Entries

Is there a forum or community for microOS specifically? I'm not finding this here or elsewhere. I'm trying to learn more about it but the wiki and documentation is lacking.
    Hi
    I use it, not tried Leap yet, but run containers with tumbleweed and SLES brought up via vagrant. Or you looking and real hardware, that's on my plan with Leap on two intel systems, just need some nvmes for the motherboards.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Yes I've seen that ...that's where I downloaded it. The technology isn't exactly "existing tech" being repurposed, microOS is different in the fact it's an immutable OS with transactional updates. While it's based on TW it is different in scope and practice. It would be nice to have a forum where people who use it can talk about it specifically instead of a generic approach.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I use it, not tried Leap yet, but run containers with tumbleweed and SLES brought up via vagrant. Or you looking and real hardware, that's on my plan with Leap on two intel systems, just need some nvmes for the motherboards.

I'm running it on proxmox. I'm just testing it and it's new to me but I was planning on running some docker containers via podman since I hear docker and podman are compatible. I'm kinda confused about the transactional update approach. I ran a update on it and it forced me to reboot and from what I'm reading, unless I'm wrong, every update requires this and the system does this automatically. Even installing a package like htop required a reboot. What's the advantage of this sort of tech if you have to reboot so often which takes down the containers or any other service? I'm curious how this is being used in the corporate world like this where we have to get a schedule approved to patch and reboot and service uptime for containers is highly important. Also, I don't see a /etc/sshd config to enable "password auth" so are we just suppose to put a key in roots ssh dir? Those are just two things I'm curious about. This is what I was saying it would be nice to have a place to converse about how people are using it.

Blog Entries

I'm running it on proxmox. I'm just testing it and it's new to me but I was planning on running some docker containers via podman since I hear docker and podman are compatible. I'm kinda confused about the transactional update approach. I ran a update on it and it forced me to reboot and from what I'm reading, unless I'm wrong, every update requires this and the system does this automatically. Even installing a package like htop required a reboot. What's the advantage of this sort of tech if you have to reboot so often which takes down the containers or any other service? I'm curious how this is being used in the corporate world like this where we have to get a schedule approved to patch and reboot and service uptime for containers is highly important. Also, I don't see a /etc/sshd config to enable "password auth" so are we just suppose to put a key in roots ssh dir? Those are just two things I'm curious about. This is what I was saying it would be nice to have a place to converse about how people are using it.
    Hi
    I'm running k3s, with vagrant boxes I add ignition for some configuration (eg ssh config, passowrds etc), then install anything specific when bring up the node in the vagrant file. For management I use Rancher which does the monitoring as well as plethora of other tasks.

For quick testing I use Rancher-Desktop and containerd, but can switch over to moby. https://rancherdesktop.io/

I have a few articles on MicroOS over at https://community.suse.com/
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 07-May-2022 at 15:42.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I'm running k3s, with vagrant boxes I add ignition for some configuration (eg ssh config, passowrds etc), then install anything specific when bring up the node in the vagrant file. For management I use Rancher which does the monitoring as well as plethora of other tasks.

For quick testing I use Rancher-Desktop and containerd, but can switch over to moby. https://rancherdesktop.io/

I have a few articles on MicroOS over at https://community.suse.com/
    Nice, I'm just using one intel nuc I5 so I'd think podman would be better since kubernetes is mostly for "multiple" clustered machines..correct? I'm really still curious from a admin side...how often do you update and I'd assume you reboot after every update or package install. How does workout in a production environment. For some reason I had a false assumption about microOS that you would continually update without reboots ..except maybe kernel updates. I'm trying to see what the positives are per say running a leap or tw server other than tighter security from running immutable.

Blog Entries

Nice, I'm just using one intel nuc I5 so I'd think podman would be better since kubernetes is mostly for "multiple" clustered machines..correct? I'm really still curious from a admin side...how often do you update and I'd assume you reboot after every update or package install. How does workout in a production environment. For some reason I had a false assumption about microOS that you would continually update without reboots ..except maybe kernel updates. I'm trying to see what the positives are per say running a leap or tw server other than tighter security from running immutable.
    Hi
    That's why I like the cluster, move the workloads, add, destroy or update, bring up a new updated node etc. To be honest, there is nothing I install on the OS, In my vagrant install, it installs k3s it's associated token and mc (minio client for S3 backup) on the master and cluster nodes, then have additional worker nodes. These are all vm's on one machine (HP Z440 24 threads, 64GB RAM) most of the time. I use helm charts to deploy.

microOS is different in the fact it's an immutable OS with transactional updates.
    Different from what exactly? You can select transactional server role during standard openSUSE installation (https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ll-system-role). MicroOS is mostly different in a) packaging (single image vs. collection of packages), b) installation method (image deployment vs. running installer) and c) integrated engine to perform first boot setup that allows to reuse single image for mass deployment. In principle you could use AutoYaST to achieve the same result and actually this is exactly what is used by DVD image - it contains AutoYaST control file to perform silent installation with predefined parameters.

unless I'm wrong, every update requires this [reboot]
    Correct. This is even described on wiki.
    and the system does this automatically.
    It is not my experience. But until you reboot you won't have updates.
    I'm curious how this is being used in the corporate world
    Probably corporates do not spend their time installing packages but deploy image to run production workload?
    like this where we have to get a schedule approved to patch and reboot
    And how is it different from any other container update where you pull new image and restart container with it?
    and service uptime for containers is highly important.
    No. Uptime for workload is highly important. Every single system/container is just one part of overall infrastructure to ensure application availability. For this reason containers are dispensable and you need to architect your solution to not depend on availability of any single system/container.

I don't see a /etc/sshd config to enable "password auth"
    There is no /etc/sshd_config at all. But you better start new thread with clear subject if you have questions about sshd.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    actually this is exactly what is used by DVD image - it contains AutoYaST control file to perform silent installation with predefined parameters.
    I was wrong, it was used in Leap Micro, current MicroOS DVD just deploys image.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast