Thread: Transfer files to VM

Default Transfer files to VM

I've going round in circles trying to find an answer to this. Most of what I've found relates to Windows or VMWare etc.

I've used Yast to install KVM, then used Virtual Machine Manager to install a Linux distro. Everything went to plan and it boots and works great. But how do I move files from my host system to the VM?

When I installed the VM I left almost everything at default including 20gb storage.

Thank you for any help!

Default Re: Transfer files to VM

Quote Originally Posted by OS499846 View Post
    But how do I move files from my host system to the VM?
    scp, sftp will likely require no additional configuration on host or guest. I usually use scp for one off transfer. You can configure host filesystem if you always need to access specific directory on host.

Thank you! It was pretty straight forward once I worked out how to enable ssh.

Moving files is as simple as drag and drop. Open Dolphin on your guest system and then you can just drag/drop them from your host system into your guest system.

I've obviously ironed this problem out without too much trouble in the past but I'm back! This time with Leap 15.4.

I'm absolutely stumped on how I managed to transfer files. It's not scp, it's the detail...

I've installed KVM using the simple "Install Hypervisor and Tools" module in YaST, then installed Windows XP using the "Create Virtual Machines" module. Everything default except a change in storage size.

The command for scp is really simple except - how on Earth do I find out the IP address of the VM? Last time I wanted to do this I must have found it so simple I didn't take any notes or post the solution here. I'm on day 2 of trying now!

Also, unrelated to scp and my original post but internet access in the VMs I created in 15.3 just worked... no changing settings... it just worked "out of the box". Same steps (seemingly) in 15.4 but I don't have internet access (or, I can't ping 8.8.8.8) in the VM. Where should I start my quest in getting internet access?

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: Dolphin... yes, I could try this but my war with scp has already started. Also, I'm keen to have as few software installed as possible. I always have been, it's how I ended up discovering Linux and shying away from Windows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OS499846 View Post
    I've obviously ironed this problem out without too much trouble in the past but I'm back! This time with Leap 15.4.

I'm absolutely stumped on how I managed to transfer files. It's not scp, it's the detail...

I've installed KVM using the simple "Install Hypervisor and Tools" module in YaST, then installed Windows XP using the "Create Virtual Machines" module. Everything default except a change in storage size.

The command for scp is really simple except - how on Earth do I find out the IP address of the VM? Last time I wanted to do this I must have found it so simple I didn't take any notes or post the solution here. I'm on day 2 of trying now!

Also, unrelated to scp and my original post but internet access in the VMs I created in 15.3 just worked... no changing settings... it just worked "out of the box". Same steps (seemingly) in 15.4 but I don't have internet access (or, I can't ping 8.8.8.8) in the VM. Where should I start my quest in getting internet access?

Thank you for any help!

EDIT: Dolphin... yes, I could try this but my war with scp has already started. Also, I'm keen to have as few software installed as possible. I always have been, it's how I ended up discovering Linux and shying away from Windows.
    Hi
    In Windows, open a terminal and run `ipconfig /all`. Check your router for dhcp connections? I would set a static IP address on the vm, then don't need to worry....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hello, I have 15.4 host with Debian and 15.4 guests and I cannot use the clipboard to drag and drop files Guest <----> host. I have searched high and low about spice channels, server types, disk virtio and I am completely stumped. Does anyone know if there is a fix for it? I use virt-manager 4.00.