Thread: Realtime kernel resolution issue with nvidia gpu

Default Realtime kernel resolution issue with nvidia gpu

Hi everyone,

I tried booting into realtime kernel but only get 640x480 resolution. I have NVIDIA GT740. I have tried using both nouveau and proprietary drivers, but neither seems to work.

How can I get proper resolution with realtime kernel? I don't care if it is proprietary driver or nouveau, if necessary I can reboot into a different kernel for games (which I rarely use anyway). All I want is proper resolution when doing audio work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Default AW: Realtime kernel resolution issue with nvidia gpu

Is nvidia properly deinstalled?
    Code:
    zypper se -si nvidia
    Or was it the hard way?

no more blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d
    Code:
    grep -i 'blacklist nouveau' /etc/modprobe.d/*
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    Last edited by hcvv; 19-Mar-2022 at 01:00. Reason: changed "balcklist" into "blacklist"

Default Re: Realtime kernel resolution issue with nvidia gpu

Thank you for your helpful reply. I am able to switch between nouveau and nvidia drivers on both the default kernel and the pre-emptive kernel merely by commenting or uncommenting the line "blacklist nouveau" and rebooting. Thus I do not believe that it should be necessary to uninstall the nvidia driver. Commenting out this line should lead to nouveau being loaded for the real-time kernel since this method works with both of the other kernels. I have checked that commenting out this line does indeed lead to nouveau being loaded instead of nvidia using "hwinfo --gfxcard".

I have a feeling that there is no driver available at all to go with the real-time kernel. There is no nvidia driver listed in YaST. I currently have the nvidia drivers for both the pre-emptive and default kernels installed. If you think that uninstalling both of these may somehow fix my issues with the real-time kernel then please could you confirm this and I will give it a go. I have read somewhere about having to compile the drivers for real-time kernel, is this true and if so where can I find instructions?

Many thanks.

Default AW: Realtime kernel resolution issue with nvidia gpu

The nvidia Installation is replacing some libs from Mesa with its own....
    So uncommending only the blacklist is not the same as uninstalling...

Default Re: Realtime kernel resolution issue with nvidia gpu

Kernel-rt or kernel-preempt?
    https://kernel.suse.com/SLE15-SP3-RT.html

Nowadays maybe it is impossible to compile non-GPL code for Linux RT:
    https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...-x86-64/196585