Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to compile source code of new kernel specifically for my pc hardware with uefi secure boot.

Default Re: How to compile source code of new kernel specifically for my pc hardware with uefi secure boot.

Pentium MMX was launched about 30 years ago and at that time video processing was new and there was no proper hardware just to play any video file I mean if you play any video file video playback stops sometimes and resume after some time.

At present there is lot of development in video hardware and at the same time new technologies in both hardware and software has been evolved. Coming into hardware CPUs with integrated graphics came and coming into software many video and audio codecs have been developed like h265, vpx, av1, aac, opus etc.,.Of these aac and opus are audio codecs which produces lowest disk size at reasonable quality and h265, av1 are video codecs which provides lowest disk size at reasonable quality.

Most of the time I download videos from youtube and other sources which are of large size. When you record a video in android smartphone it takes around 600 mb for 3 minutes 50 seconds and it uses h265 codec. It is difficult to store such files in my android smartphone.

Mostly I use Linux and ffmpeg tool to compress these video files. Of h265 and av1 aom encoders. av1 aom encoder provide lowest disk size at lowest video bitrate. H265 encoding and decoding are supported in all hardware including pc and smartphone but unfortunately av1 files are not supported in none but definitely I think that it will become defacto standard in future.

If h265 encoding takes 1 minute then aom av1 encoding takes about 10 minutes. If video acceleration is present the encoding takes about 7 minutes. Video acceleration come into action only if GPU is detected properly and the necessary drivers are installed. If the system can detect opecl version of GPU then av1 encoding takes about 5 minutes through ffmpeg.

As MMX was trending about 30 years ago I think that latest processors have vector instructions for video transcoding or encoding like avx2 or avx 512, simd etc.,. These new instructions are not present in 15 years back processors.

As 64 bit processor came into action around 20 years back nowadays processors are 10 times are greater in performance than old.

I think that all the kernels shipped by distros are not considering latest processors instruction set. I think that even windows is doing the same.

If opencl is detected properly any application can have improvement in performance about 10 percent.

I can't find any option to set opencl in the Linux kernel config file or in any of the kernel source files.

Atleast I am lucky to select option core 2 in the main .config file of kernel.

Finally my request is there any way to export instruct set of my cpu to the kernel configuration and so after compilation my video encoding takes less time than previous.

If it's a difficult task leave it and if it's possible try to suggest how to do so.
    Regards,
    Rupesh.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to compile source code of new kernel specifically for my pc hardware with uefi secure boot.

Hi
    Get an Nvidia card that has the hardware encoder/decoder, I have Quadro T400 for this task and use with ffmpeg....

Code:
    2x H.264 and HVEC Encoders
    1x Decode Engine

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hevc encoder is present in my integrated gpu also but there is no av1 aom encoder.
    Regards,
    Rupesh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rupeshforu3 View Post
    Hevc encoder is present in my integrated gpu also but there is no av1 aom encoder.
    Hi
    I see it present in ffmpeg here;

Code:
    encoders:
     V..... libaom-av1           libaom AV1 (codec av1)
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I am not against obs but I am searching for easy way to compile source code of kernel etc.,. I have examined some like obs, autotools, meson, ninja etc.,. I can't determine which is best.

I don't want to build packages and distribute to others and so I think that autotools is enough for me but I am reading obs autotools etc., and it will take some time to use them because I am new to those.
    Regards,
    Rupesh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12