Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Switch from tumbleweed to leap 15.3 ...... GLIBC_2.34 not found

  1. #1

    Default Switch from tumbleweed to leap 15.3 ...... GLIBC_2.34 not found

    I have a usb key wich i have with my home keys and I have opensuse installed in it since some time ago, I use it to boot my own OS in any foreign computer I have to use. I was using leap but in a moment I thought it will be a good idea to use tumbleweed and IO swithed to it. The problem is each time I use it it needs to upgrade a lot of packages, and leap was much more quick to update, so I have tried to swith it back to leap 15.3, but the upgrade has failed here



    https://susepaste.org/8304388

    I have ignored the error and continue and it has appeared the same some more times, it seems to be only some packages ..... until y saw kernel-default... so I knew the system will not be bootable.
    I finished the installation and try again, but again I have errors: GLIBC_2.34 not found


    How can I install GLIBC_2.34 and try again?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    16,051
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Switch from tumbleweed to leap 15.3 ...... GLIBC_2.34 not found

    You have not indicated how you tried to switch back to Leap. Given the substantial differences, I would recommend a clean install of Leap.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Switch from tumbleweed to leap 15.3 ...... GLIBC_2.34 not found

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You have not indicated how you tried to switch back to Leap. Given the substantial differences, I would recommend a clean install of Leap.
    Sorry, I missed. I booted with the opensuse leap 15.3 net image, plugged the usb and did a "update"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    31,298

    Default Re: Switch from tumbleweed to leap 15.3 ...... GLIBC_2.34 not found

    Quote Originally Posted by fperal View Post
    Sorry, I missed. I booted with the opensuse leap 15.3 net image, plugged the usb and did a "update"
    It may be me, but I am still unsure what you did. In any case, like @nrickert, I would not call a switch from Tumbleweed to Leap an "upgrade". From the perspective of package version numbers it is more a downgrade. Not something that is supported by any scenario other then a new and fresh install. You could try to keep your /home directory, but even that may not be without hazard. Using lower version programs on newer version data (like KDE configurations) might not work as hoped for.

    Just my pessimistic view.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: Switch from tumbleweed to leap 15.3 ...... GLIBC_2.34 not found

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    It may be me, but I am still unsure what you did. In any case, like @nrickert, I would not call a switch from Tumbleweed to Leap an "upgrade". From the perspective of package version numbers it is more a downgrade. Not something that is supported by any scenario other then a new and fresh install. You could try to keep your /home directory, but even that may not be without hazard. Using lower version programs on newer version data (like KDE configurations) might not work as hoped for.

    Just my pessimistic view.

    Well, yes it was a not supported downgrade. I knew it before doing it. It is just a OS to carry and I didn't mind if I messed it up as i did, just to try and learn.
    The thing is that I wanted to downgrade from 15.3 to tw so I did an "upgrade" from the TW CD, when the system asked for the partition containing the system my ext4 partition (I have just one ext4 partition for / and everything else) didn't appear in the list (in fact nothing appeared), but checking the "list all partitions" it appeared and the system let me "upgrade", but in the process of upgrading (downgrading) packages some errors like that I captured appeared: error with a package GLIBC2.32 not found, GLIBC2-33 not found GLIBC2.34 not found.

    I don't know what has happend to GLIBC, but I'm trying to recover it and try again.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    São Leopoldo, RS, Brazil
    Posts
    430

    Default Re: Switch from tumbleweed to leap 15.3 ...... GLIBC_2.34 not found

    Quote Originally Posted by fperal View Post
    Well, yes it was a not supported downgrade. I knew it before doing it. It is just a OS to carry and I didn't mind if I messed it up as i did, just to try and learn.
    The thing is that I wanted to downgrade from 15.3 to tw so I did an "upgrade" from the TW CD, when the system asked for the partition containing the system my ext4 partition (I have just one ext4 partition for / and everything else) didn't appear in the list (in fact nothing appeared), but checking the "list all partitions" it appeared and the system let me "upgrade", but in the process of upgrading (downgrading) packages some errors like that I captured appeared: error with a package GLIBC2.32 not found, GLIBC2-33 not found GLIBC2.34 not found.

    I don't know what has happend to GLIBC, but I'm trying to recover it and try again.
    You lost me here when you mention "downgrade from 15.3 to tw so I did an "upgrade" from the TW CD". I thought it was about TW -> Leap.

    You might be able to pull if but you're gonna need to do from TW (in particular you need an updated zypper/libzypp).

    Anyway, here's a completely untested plan:
    1) Update all repos to Leap URLs
    2) Disable unsupported repos
    3) Run: ZYPP_SINGLE_RPMTRANS=1 zypper dup --allow-downgrade
    4) Deal with incompatibilities with configuration
    5) Find some deal-breaker and install Leap from scratch
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    16,051
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Switch from tumbleweed to leap 15.3 ...... GLIBC_2.34 not found

    What concerns me about this, and why I suggested reinstall:

    (1) Tumbleweed has completed the "usr-merge" process so that many files that used to be in "/etc" are now in "/usr/etc"

    (2) Tumbleweed has changed the file system layout, with "/bin" no longer a separate directory, but just a symbolic link to "/usr/bin".

    These are both significant incompatibilities with openSUSE Leap. Presumably, those changes will be in Leap 16.x, but they are not there yet.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •