Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Icons "Trash" and "Home" not functioning -Help please

Default Desktop Icons "Trash" and "Home" not functioning -Help please

I have run into a problem. While trying to install drivers for for Epson L3210 Multi-function device some thing has gone wrong. I have downloaded drivers from Epson website. Since I use firefox the downloaded '.rpm' files were saved as ".rmp' which I corrected. While the scanner driver did get installed the one for printer driver did not!

A. During the process something went wrong and now when I try to open the "trash" or "Home" from the desktop icons I get the message "Malformed URL". Right click does open the menu but correcting the URL from the "properties" does not work. Stuff I send to the "waste bin" does go there and I can empty the waste bin through the Shift+Right Click menu, but I cannot open the trash to select and recover files from it (not an immediate issue but the need could arise). How can this be corrected?

B. Attempt to install the downloaded printer rpm through Discover failed showing internal error. Need help.

I am sorry that the info provided is scanty. I use Plasma Desktop.

PrakashC

Default Re: Desktop Icons "Trash" and "Home" not functioning -Help please

What I understand is that lsb3.2 or higher has to be installed before the printer driver can be installed. Where do I find lsb3.2 or higher to install?

Quote Originally Posted by PrakashC View Post
    Where do I find lsb3.2 or higher to install?
    You should have the package “lsb-release” installed by default but, that's at version 3.1 – also for Tumbleweed – <https://software.opensuse.org/packag...rm=lsb-release> …
    • You could try installing the package “lsb” from the main openSUSE Leap 15.3 repository – it provides an LSB version by means of a file named “lsb-release” located in /etc with the following content –

Code:
    LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-noarch:core-2.0-x86_64:core-3.2-x86_64:core-4.0-x86_64"

Sorry, I could not find the lsb3.2 file in 15.3 Main Repo or Tumbleweed (via find software app of OpenSUSE). All I can find is lsb4Fake which won't work.

PrakashC

Blog Entries

Sorry, I could not find the lsb3.2 file in 15.3 Main Repo or Tumbleweed (via find software app of OpenSUSE). All I can find is lsb4Fake which won't work.

PrakashC
    Hi
    Well lsb is deprecated, suggest you ask the manufacturers to sort out their code... you might need to poke around in the install script and rem out the check.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Well lsb is deprecated, suggest you ask the manufacturers to sort out their code... you might need to poke around in the install script and rem out the check.
    I doubt Epson will pay heed to a single user And sorry, I do not have the knowledge to tinker with the install script.

I would also like to know/understand if lsb is deprecated in all or majority of Linux distros or is it just SUSE? From wiki info I gather that lsb3.1 included in Leap is of 2005 vintage and the latest version lsb5 is of 2015. The issues enumerated in wiki website would appear to be in focus since 2005 or shortly thereafter. It is surprising that Epson is still persisting with lsb!

Wish there was an easy work around for Linux users like me.

PrakashC

Blog Entries

I doubt Epson will pay heed to a single user And sorry, I do not have the knowledge to tinker with the install script.

I would also like to know/understand if lsb is deprecated in all or majority of Linux distros or is it just SUSE? From wiki info I gather that lsb3.1 included in Leap is of 2005 vintage and the latest version lsb5 is of 2015. The issues enumerated in wiki website would appear to be in focus since 2005 or shortly thereafter. It is surprising that Epson is still persisting with lsb!

Wish there was an easy work around for Linux users like me.

PrakashC
    Hi
    The lsb package should suffice? It creates /etc/lsb-release which I gather it's looking for.... in there it contains reference to core-3.2.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    The lsb package should suffice? It creates /etc/lsb-release which I gather it's looking for.... in there it contains reference to core-3.2.
    Yes Malcolm,
    I second that. I have a WF-3540 working here fine on my homeserver with Leap 15.3 (and before). Referring to LSB it's got the same requirements. It just says lsb>=3.2 see YaST output:
    Code:
    epson-inkjet-printer-202101w - EPSON L3210/L3200/L1250/L1210 Series - Epson Inkjet Printer Driver
    Version: 1.0.1-1lsb3.2
    Provides: epson-inkjet-printer-202101w = 1.0.1-1lsb3.2 epson-inkjet-printer-202101w(x86-64) = 1.0.1-1lsb3.2
    Prerequires: /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh
    Requires: rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 lsb >= 3.2 /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh
    and
    Code:
    epson-inkjet-printer-201212w - WF-3010/WF-3520/WF-3530/WF-3540 Series - Epson Inkjet Printer Driver

Alternate Version Installed Version
    Version: 1.0.0-1lsb3.2 1.0.0-1lsb3.2
    Provides: epson-inkjet-printer-201212w = 1.0.0-1lsb3.2 epson-inkjet-printer-201212w = 1.0.0-1lsb3.2
    Prerequires: /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh
    Requires: rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 lsb >= 3.2 /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 lsb >= 3.2 /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh
    @PrakashC:
    I just downloaded the driver from the Epson site and didn't have to rename anything. Maybe something went wrong then already? Just to make sure, you downloaded the "ESC/P Driver (full feature)" not just the printer utility?
    Here:
    Code:
    ~ # zypper se -is lsb 
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 

S | Name        | Type    | Version              | Arch   | Repository 
    --+-------------+---------+----------------------+--------+-------------------------------- 
    i | lsb         | package | 4.0.fake-lp153.2.3.1 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS) 
    i | lsb         | package | 4.0.fake-lp153.2.3.1 | x86_64 | Hauptaktualisierungs-Repository 
    i | lsb-release | package | 3.1-1.16             | noarch | Haupt-Repository (OSS)

You said "All I can find is lsb4Fake which won't work." But it works fine here. In order to help people here need to see what actually went wrong. Considering your initial problem I'd suggest to start all over again. Remove all packages involved, install lsb (maybe also lsb-release, I don't know). Download the ESC/P driver and the printer utility.
    You can add a local directory as repository (I did it via YaST) and put the packages there. Then use zypper to install them and show everything from the beginning to the end in code tags here. You will have to ignore an "error" about missing signature but that's fine with local directories.
    If you get error messages people here may be able to make suggestions.

kasi

Edit: To install anything better use either zypper or YaST. Discover is a KDE tool, some here have reported issues. I can't comment on that but using the "official" tools should rule out any external effects.

Quote Originally Posted by kasi042 View Post
    Yes Malcolm,
    I second that. I have a WF-3540 working here fine on my homeserver with Leap 15.3 (and before). Referring to LSB it's got the same requirements. It just says lsb>=3.2 see YaST output:
    Code:
    epson-inkjet-printer-202101w - EPSON L3210/L3200/L1250/L1210 Series - Epson Inkjet Printer Driver
    Version: 1.0.1-1lsb3.2
    Provides: epson-inkjet-printer-202101w = 1.0.1-1lsb3.2 epson-inkjet-printer-202101w(x86-64) = 1.0.1-1lsb3.2
    Prerequires: /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh
    Requires: rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 lsb >= 3.2 /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh
    and
    Code:
    epson-inkjet-printer-201212w - WF-3010/WF-3520/WF-3530/WF-3540 Series - Epson Inkjet Printer Driver

Alternate Version Installed Version
    Version: 1.0.0-1lsb3.2 1.0.0-1lsb3.2
    Provides: epson-inkjet-printer-201212w = 1.0.0-1lsb3.2 epson-inkjet-printer-201212w = 1.0.0-1lsb3.2
    Prerequires: /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh
    Requires: rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 lsb >= 3.2 /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1 rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1 lsb >= 3.2 /bin/sh /bin/sh /bin/sh
    @PrakashC:
    I just downloaded the driver from the Epson site and didn't have to rename anything. Maybe something went wrong then already? Just to make sure, you downloaded the "ESC/P Driver (full feature)" not just the printer utility?
    Here:
    Code:
    ~ # zypper se -is lsb 
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 

S | Name        | Type    | Version              | Arch   | Repository 
    --+-------------+---------+----------------------+--------+-------------------------------- 
    i | lsb         | package | 4.0.fake-lp153.2.3.1 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS) 
    i | lsb         | package | 4.0.fake-lp153.2.3.1 | x86_64 | Hauptaktualisierungs-Repository 
    i | lsb-release | package | 3.1-1.16             | noarch | Haupt-Repository (OSS)

You said "All I can find is lsb4Fake which won't work." But it works fine here. In order to help people here need to see what actually went wrong. Considering your initial problem I'd suggest to start all over again. Remove all packages involved, install lsb (maybe also lsb-release, I don't know). Download the ESC/P driver and the printer utility.
    You can add a local directory as repository (I did it via YaST) and put the packages there. Then use zypper to install them and show everything from the beginning to the end in code tags here. You will have to ignore an "error" about missing signature but that's fine with local directories.
    If you get error messages people here may be able to make suggestions.

kasi

Edit: To install anything better use either zypper or YaST. Discover is a KDE tool, some here have reported issues. I can't comment on that but using the "official" tools should rule out any external effects.

Let me digest that info and try it out. Re renaming of file, the problem is with Firefox, it changes "rpm" to" rmp" while saving the download (at least from the Epson website). The tip re creating a local directory as a repository through Yast makes good sense. Just where should one place it - under root? Thanks.

PrakashC

I'd say you can just create it in your home folder. I have mine on my home server in a folder which is mounted via NFS to my homes so I can access it from anywhere. But I think it's up to you. You'll need root permissions just for the installation procedure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast