Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i586 with kernel 5.16 - non-blinking cursor after "loading initial RAM disk"

Default i586 with kernel 5.16 - non-blinking cursor after "loading initial RAM disk"

Hy!

On an old Dell Precision M60 I have after updating to 5.16 a non-blinking cursor in the upper left corner and nothing else.

Last output is: "Loading initial RAM disk", then screen turns black and that's it.

Old 5.15.8-1default boots just fine.

Where to start? Boot old kernel, remove the 5.16 and wait for updates? How to remove 5.16 correctly?

Many thanks in advance!
    Kind regards

raspu

Default Re: i586 with kernel 5.16 - non-blinking cursor after "loading initial RAM disk"

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Where to start?
    Boot without kernel option "quiet" and with "plymouth.enable=0", this may show more details.

Default Re: i586 with kernel 5.16 - non-blinking cursor after "loading initial RAM disk"

Hi and thanks!

I tried recovery mode in the meantime

https://paste.opensuse.org/72142051

To change the kernel parameters I boot to old kernel and edit in Yast -> Bootloader? Or what is the procedure from "C: Command line" in Grub? :-)
    Kind regards

raspu

To change the kernel parameters I boot to old kernel and edit in Yast -> Bootloader? Or what is the procedure from "C: Command line" in Grub? :-)
    You press 'e' on menu entry in grub. Exactly as it tells you (E: Edit Entry). Then edit line that starts with "linux" (or less likely "linuxefi").

... To change the kernel parameters I boot to old kernel and edit in Yast -> Bootloader?
    Yes, that's one way to do it.

... Or what is the procedure from "C: Command line" in Grub? :-)
    I would use the "e"-option (instead of the "c"-option). However you should keep in mind that the changes applied by using the GRUB "e"-option are only temporarily while the changes done with the afore mentioned YaST are permanent.

Regards

susejunky

Sorry, took me too long to prepare my post- arvidjaar was first !

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    You press 'e' on menu entry in grub. Exactly as it tells you (E: Edit Entry). Then edit line that starts with "linux" (or less likely "linuxefi").
    OK, I did that, there were LOTS of text, much to fast to read and after about 10-15 sec the screen went black, fan is spinning, but nothing else happening. No activity on RJ45, so no option to go in via ssh...
    Kind regards

raspu

OK, I did that, there were LOTS of text, much to fast to read and after about 10-15 sec the screen went black, fan is spinning, but nothing else happening. No activity on RJ45, so no option to go in via ssh...
    That's odd!

Can you try the old kernel/YaST way?

Regards

susejunky

Old kernel: see first post, doing fine! :-)

Will try Yast...
    Kind regards

raspu

Old kernel: see first post, doing fine! :-)
    Yes, i'm aware of this.

But as you cannot use GRUBs "e"-option then you have to change /boot/grub2/grub.cfg somehow to get rid of those kernel command line options ...

Regards

susejunky

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    Yes, i'm aware of this.

But as you cannot use GRUBs "e"-option then you have to change /boot/grub2/grub.cfg somehow to get rid of those kernel command line options ...

Regards

susejunky

Grub option E:Edit worked, as it changed the output, but it did not boot successfully. Will try Yast -> Bootloader now ;-)
    Kind regards

raspu

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast