Thread: switch from network Manager to wicked

Default switch from network Manager to wicked

New install with Network Manager as default. I want to change this to Wicked because I need to make a static IP.
    When I go to Yast>Network Settings>Global Options the drop down to select Network setup method only allows fpr:
    1] Network Manager
    2] Net work services Disabled

How can I switch to Wicked?
    Thank You
    Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, Tumbleweed 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.24.0
    Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5.24.0

Default Re: switch from network Manager to wicked

Quote Originally Posted by LaQuirrELL View Post
    New install with Network Manager as default. I want to change this to Wicked because I need to make a static IP.
    NetworkManger is perfectly capable of doing it, you do not really need wicked (if this is the only reason).

When I go to Yast>Network Settings>Global Options the drop down to select Network setup method only allows fpr:
    1] Network Manager
    2] Net work services Disabled

How can I switch to Wicked?
    Is wicked installed? There was recent announcement that wicked is deprecated and new installations of Tumbleweed will use NetworkManager.

@ arvidjaar
    Thank you for your help. I installed wicked and it is good now.
    Machine # 1 - Asus Prime Z390A, i7-9700k 3.6GHz, 32.0 GB ram, Tumbleweed 64-bit, KDE Plasma 5.24.0
    Machine # 2 - Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16.0 GB ram, Tumbleweed KDE Plasma 5.24.0

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    NetworkManger is perfectly capable of doing it, you do not really need wicked (if this is the only reason).

Is wicked installed? There was recent announcement that wicked is deprecated and new installations of Tumbleweed will use NetworkManager.
    Due to the announcement I used Yast to switch my static setup from Wicked to NetworkManager. After the switch I think I had to add my gateway using nmtui, all the other settings were preserved.

It is a bit disconcerting seeing the Network control item in the system-tray, I keep wondering if I will accidentally take my link down :-)