Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia driver on OpenSuse Tumbleweed require sudo?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nvidia driver on OpenSuse Tumbleweed require sudo?

Quote Originally Posted by zuo View Post
    Scuse me to all, I do not read the blog for days.I try to describe better the problem:

* Desktop PC
    * Opensuse Tumbleweed, KDE
    * GPUs: nvidia 1080 + nvidia M40 24 GB
    * I install at first G6 driver but KDE do not start correctly (I only see the mouse on screen without the other components of the desktop)
    * I use tty to remove and install G5 driver
    * KDE started correctly, but to see nvidia-smi I must do sudo, and I'm able to use GPU with python only if sudo
    * I made the instruction that I described before and It seams to work for some days
    * I installed STEAM and Proton with Battle.net using Proton with command line (maybe I do something else but I do not remember what, maybe zypper dup --allow-vendor-changes)
    * now I cannot login, after the password insert (if it is wrong say that is wrong, but if it is correct) it start show very quickly something in the screen and return to login (I also tried wayland)
    Hi
    If you pull the Tesla M40 card, does it start working? You need to be running a 410 driver for the Tesla, which likely won't work with the current kernel without patching (https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/143679/en-us).
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    If you pull the Tesla M40 card, does it start working? You need to be running a 410 driver for the Tesla, which likely won't work with the current kernel without patching (https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/143679/en-us).
    NVIDIA Tesla M40 24 GB uses Maxwell 2.0 architecture: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...40-24-gb.c3838
    For Tesla M40 24 GB use special drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/186250/en-us
    Try to use Leap - TW kernel is too new.

Just updated from G05 to G06 and am facing the same issue. Thrown to tty, then
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-smi
    launches KDE Plasma..

I was wondering why I don't have this issue. One thing about my login is that it's a member of the video group, and I can see the following permissions:

Code:
    % ls -l /dev/nvidia*
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 195,   0 Apr  3 17:09 /dev/nvidia0
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 195, 255 Apr  3 17:09 /dev/nvidiactl
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 195, 254 Apr  3 17:09 /dev/nvidia-modeset
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 236,   0 Apr  3 17:09 /dev/nvidia-uvm
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 236,   1 Apr  3 17:09 /dev/nvidia-uvm-tools

Could that be playing a part in the issue others are seeing?
    Last edited by mchnz; 03-Apr-2022 at 00:41. Reason: Fix typos and colours

I did fail to mention through YaST user management I did add myself to the video group (and not via `sudo usermod -a -G video <MY-USER-NAME>`) but I don't think because I didn't do it through command line that should negatively impact it?

My permissions appear to slightly differ for uvm and uvm-tools for some reason:
    Code:
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 195,   0 Apr  2 22:24 /dev/nvidia0
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 195, 255 Apr  2 22:24 /dev/nvidiactl
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 195, 254 Apr  2 22:24 /dev/nvidia-modeset
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 238,   0 Apr  2 22:24 /dev/nvidia-uvm
    crw-rw----+ 1 root video 238,   1 Apr  2 22:24 /dev/nvidia-uvm-tools

I apologize for the double post but I don't seem to have access to edit my previous post. I am finding entries of "kernel: [17595.943885][ T4752] [drm:drm_new_set_master [drm]] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000a00] Failed to grab modeset ownership" despite having `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nvidia-drm.modeset=1"` set in my /etc/default/grub file. I also updated grub2 with grub2-mkconfig after that.

I'm wondering if I should also set nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in YaST's bootloader "Optional Command Line Parameter" settings?

Small update: Removing `GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nvidia-drm.modeset=1"` in /etc/default/grub and rerunning grub2-mkconfig then adding `nvidia-drm.modeset=1` to the "Optional Command Line Parameter" option in YaST's bootloader got rid of the "Failed to grab modeset ownership" error, but still requires `sudo nvidia-smi` to get to a gui after tty.

I've read some places that disabling secure boot in bios can fix this but I really don't want to do that.

Alright I believe the answer lies in MOK management... I do not believe I was prompted for MOK Management after installing the G06 drivers but I could be wrong... I believe the MOK keypair was signed with G05 and now seeing G06 it doesn't want it to work? I think I will try an uninstall and reinstall of the drivers to see if I get the MOK management prompt...

A workaround, for now...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast