Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Repair after faulty kernel update

Default Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Repair after faulty kernel update

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    You betcha. You put it in Grub. That put you in a graphics crippled rescue mode. If you want displays to properly function, you must get it out of Grub. Nomodeset is a troubleshooting, workaround, emergency, kludge parameter. All competent FOSS X display drivers depend on the KMS that nomodeset disables. You must have a properly working kernel and kernel modules, and eliminate nomodeset, to reacquire normal graphics function.
    I followed post#9 to introduce nomodeset. But 'nomodeset' is not there now. So what must I do to make grub behave correctly now?

Default Re: Repair after faulty kernel update

Changing grub from boot is temp. you can change grub from Yast to make permanent

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Changing grub from boot is temp. you can change grub from Yast to make permanent
    I've checked the YaST boot loader and see nothing that would help me recover the facility to recover the graphics settings. It's set for Grub2 to autodetect the graphic console.

So this leads me to the question:
    Is it possible that the faulty kernel installation last week broke my graphics card?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    Is it possible that the faulty kernel installation last week broke my graphics card?
    I can't imagine how this could be possible, unless it somehow caused CPU overheating, which neither can I imagine.
    Reg. Linux User 211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 15.3, TW, 15.1 & 13.1 on Haswell @earthlink.net
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2) &15.2 on i965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    I had an install that 'nomodeset' was persistent in the grub menu editor. Yet it is not in YaST Boot loader section. I haven't checked it lately to see if is still in Grub menu.
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.2, Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.2 & Win10, HP AiO Leap 15.2.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

I can't imagine how this could be possible, unless it somehow caused CPU overheating, which neither can I imagine.
    Thanks, that is comforting.

I was using Xorg before the crash, but now Xorg is not offered as an option at login (only Gnome, Gnome Classic, IceWM Session, SLE Classic, TWM)

How can I restore Xorg, (also in the hope that then the display configuration will become possible again)?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    I was using Xorg before the crash, but now Xorg is not offered as an option at login (only Gnome, Gnome Classic, IceWM Session, SLE Classic, TWM)

How can I restore Xorg, (also in the hope that then the display configuration will become possible again)?
    If you're using GDM, I can't help. Last time I saw a GDM greeter was over two decades ago, before I discovered SuSE 8.0. This sounds like something that deserves a new thread, summarized suitably to attract help from people who know anything about Gnome & GDM.
    Tertiary: Debian, Fedora, Mageia, more on Rocket Lake & older Intel, AMD, NVidia....

Same problem with me as well. I am running Leap 15.3 (KDE) desktop. After putting on maint for Log4j and "polkit" exploits, the system will not boot. Attempts to do so end up with the monitors shutting off and then system just sits there in a coma.

If I run a Live CD/DVD (SUSE LEAP 15.1, 15.2, 15.3, Knoppix 8.2?)), they will boot, but the Leap 15.x CDs (I don't think the Knoppix has that option) are not allowed to load the disk boot -- the bios(?) triggers a complaint in the loaded live cd (or DVD, I have both) about wrong boot type (for the disk partition to be started). Something about can't do UEFI with basic boot (which is what the CD has started with).

I have a UEFI CD/DVD definition for the MOBO, but that didn't help either.

I have backed up /home (Raid 1), and have done multiple installs trying to get around this (the installs get the latest repositories because I thought this might help the problem). And I keep ending up in the same zombie / coma problem.

It is interesting that I can boot Knoppix 9.? or earlier from the DVDs I have and they can see all of my partitions and Identify them. I can even mount /home and use it. I used Knoppix to erase the "boot" partitions to force them to get rebuilt, but no joy.

BTW -- the above is my wife's system. My system is similar to hers, but I have not yet rebooted mine since I did the security updates (which it whines about) since her desktop has gone south like this.

So I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one hitting this problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wylbur View Post
    Same problem with me as well. I am running Leap 15.3 (KDE) desktop. After putting on maint for Log4j and "polkit" exploits, the system will not boot. Attempts to do so end up with the monitors shutting off and then system just sits there in a coma.
    This thread is about ATI Radeon GPUs, mainly those with Terascale microarchitecture, initially released in 2010. Newer (AMD) GPUs with GCN architecture are not affected. Are you in the right place?

If I run a Live CD/DVD (SUSE LEAP 15.1, 15.2, 15.3, Knoppix 8.2?)), they will boot, but the Leap 15.x CDs (I don't think the Knoppix has that option) are not allowed to load the disk boot -- the bios(?) triggers a complaint in the loaded live cd (or DVD, I have both) about wrong boot type (for the disk partition to be started).
    This is clear as mud, especially the bolded part.

Something about can't do UEFI with basic boot (which is what the CD has started with).

I have a UEFI CD/DVD definition for the MOBO, but that didn't help either.
    What this may be about is whether rescue boots are in legacy or UEFI mode, and whether the installation on the system disk is in legacy or UEFI mode. If there is a small VFAT/ESP partition on disk, it most likely was installed in UEFI mode. If UEFI is the case, the rescue media needs to be started in UEFI mode to be effective. Starting in UEFI mode can be facilitated by disabling the CSM module in BIOS setup, where it may not be labeled as such, but means disabling booting except in UEFI mode - legacy boots not being allowed.

Most installation media can be booted in either legacy or UEFI mode. They will typically boot in legacy mode by default unless legacy mode booting is disabled in the BIOS.

Non-ancient PCs and laptops include a BBS menu available via hotkey at POST time, commonly as follows:
    • ASRock F11
    • Asus F8
    • Biostar F9?
    • Dell F12
    • eCS F10
    • eMachines F10
    • EVGA F7
    • Gigabyte F12
    • HP F9 or ESC or ESC,F9
    • Lenovo F12 or F8 or F10
    • MSI F11
    • Toshiba F12
    In the BBS menu there usually will be two choices for booting USB, a plainly or un- labeled one, and a UEFI labeled one.

This thread is about ATI Radeon GPUs, mainly those with Terascale microarchitecture, initially released in 2010. Newer (AMD) GPUs with GCN architecture are not affected. Are you in the right place?
    No, apparently I am not. My apologies. I started reading at the top and so much of this seemed to be the same, that I thought I was having the same issues. And the more I try to diagnose this, the more my head hurts.

So I will go do more research. It is just interesting this thread started as a result of a bad kernel update. And that is exactly how I got into this with my wife's desktop.
    Last edited by hcvv; 07-Feb-2022 at 03:02. Reason: repaired QUOTE tags

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast