Kernel symlink to /usr/lib/

Hello all,
I’m new to opensuse, just installed last week. I’ve noticed something I’m not familiar with:
The kernel images (/boot/vmlinuz-) are symlinks to /usr/lib/modules/ instead of the actual kernels.
Why is this the case? Is there a setting I can change to make zypper install the kernel images to /boot instead of /usr/lib/modules?

I have my root encrypted and am moving my /boot to a separate, unencrypted partition, but I don’t want to have to manually copy over the kernel each time it updates (necessary to avoid entering my decryption key twice each boot - once for grub to see the kernel and once for the kernel to see everything else).

There was a recent change (a few months back) to move the kernel out of “/boot”.

In systems where “/boot” is part of the root file system, a symlink is used so that the kernel appears to be in “/boot”.

In systems where “/boot” is a separate file system, the kernel is copied to “/boot”. This copying is part of the normal kernel install.

I don’t know what will happen when you change an existing system. I would guess that it will start copying kernels to “/boot” as part of kernel install. But, in setting up your separate “/boot”, you will need to do this manually the first time.

Hello and welcome to the openSUSE forums.

It seems that @rnickert already understands what you are reporting, but please next time do not only tell what you think you see, but post the computer facts. Like e.g. in this case an

ls -l /boot

or similar.

And please, because you are new here and thus may wonder how people create such a CODE section in a post:
There is an important, but not easy to find feature on the forums.
Please use CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.
An example is here: Using CODE tags Around your paste.

This is still an issue.
I posted what I think is happening in another discussion.
I’m new to microOS so I’m not sure what is doing the kernel install, but the fix would be to make sure the /boot is bind/mounted to the next snapshot so that the kernel install detects seperate /boot partition and does a copy instead of symlink.

Which issue? There is no issue on Tumbleweed and this topic was about Tumbleweed.

And in another discussion you were told to start new topic, not piggy back on the one year old question about different distribution.

MicroOS has some assumptions about filesystem layout and /boot as part of root subvolume is one of them. One of the inherent features of MicroOS is snapshots support and separate /boot partition makes it impossible to support rollback.

If you have valid use case - open bug report and request extending transactional-update tool with separate /boot support. I would not hold my breath though …