Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

  1. #1

    Default No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    I just installed Tumbleweed a couple days ago on this brand new laptop. There is *no* sound at all, with pulseaudio or alsa. I tried deleting and re-adding both sound devices that show up, nothing works. No sound test works at all, and I suspect this may be caused by a newer nvidia sound device installed that tumbleweed LTS doesn't offer drivers for yet? Is there any way I can check this or otherwise troubleshoot? I followed these instructions but the road led to nowhere as nothing that I tried actually worked. The commands succeeded but no sound was produced by the laptop at any point. Please help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,901
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    Welcome to openSUSE Forums. The first step is to identify and share the sound hardware in your system. The second is to run a diagnostic alsa script (alsa-info.sh) so that others can advice in a more meaningful manner. So...

    1) Report back with the output from this command
    Code:
    inxi -SGAxx
    When posting, please use [CODE]...[/CODE] tags around the output.

    2) This guide shows how to run the diagnostic script
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_tr...ed_information
    This will produce lengthy output, but will allow you to upload the output to an online server, and you just need to post the link to it here.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

  3. #3

    Default Re: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    Code:
    bb@localhost:~> inxi -SGAxx
    System:
      Host: localhost.localdomain Kernel: 5.16.0-1-default x86_64 bits: 64
      compiler: gcc v: 11.2.1 Desktop: GNOME 41.3 tk: GTK 3.24.31
      wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20220117
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] vendor: Lenovo driver: i915
      v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:9a60
      Device-2: NVIDIA TU117GLM [T1200 Laptop GPU] vendor: Lenovo
      driver: nouveau v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1fbc
      Device-3: Acer Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 3-4:3
      chip-ID: 5986:9106
      Display: wayland server: X.org 1.21.1.3 compositor: gnome-shell driver:
      loaded: nouveau note: n/a (using device driver) - try sudo/root
      resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (TGL GT1) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.3.4
      direct render: Yes
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel Tiger Lake-H HD Audio vendor: Lenovo
      driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:43c8
      Device-2: NVIDIA vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
      bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:10fa
      Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.16.0-1-default running: yes
      Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
      Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.43 running: yes
    bb@localhost:~>
    http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=357d68...31e0b01510b530

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany (Ore Mountains)
    Posts
    461

    Default Re: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    Tumbleweed runs pipewire as default AFAIK.
    Sometimes the wireplumber service, necessary for pipewire, is not running automatically.

    Check it with:
    Code:
    systemctl --user status wireplumber.service
    
    Start it with
    Code:
    systemctl --user start wireplumber.service
    
    If that activates sound, enable it permanently:
    Code:
    systemctl --user enable wireplumber.service
    
    Hendrik

  5. #5

    Default Re: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    Code:
    bb@localhost:~/code> systemctl --user status wireplumber.service
    ● wireplumber.service - Multimedia Service Session Manager
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/wireplumber.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
         Active: active (running) since Mon 2022-01-24 08:40:39 PST; 2h 23min ago
       Main PID: 5092 (wireplumber)
          Tasks: 4 (limit: 4915)
         Memory: 6.2M
            CPU: 54ms
         CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/session.slice/wireplumber.service
                 └─5092 /usr/bin/wireplumber
    
    
    Jan 24 08:40:39 localhost.localdomain systemd[2991]: Started Multimedia Service Session Manager.
    Jan 24 08:40:39 localhost.localdomain wireplumber[5092]: Failed to set scheduler settings: Operation not permitted
    bb@localhost:~/code>
    Seems it was already running, but I started it anyway:
    Code:
    bb@localhost:~/code> systemctl --user start wireplumber.service
    bb@localhost:~/code>
    No sound whatsoever.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,901
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    Quote Originally Posted by fenreer View Post
    Code:
    bb@localhost:~> inxi -SGAxx
    System:
      Host: localhost.localdomain Kernel: 5.16.0-1-default x86_64 bits: 64
      compiler: gcc v: 11.2.1 Desktop: GNOME 41.3 tk: GTK 3.24.31
      wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM Distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20220117
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] vendor: Lenovo driver: i915
      v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:9a60
      Device-2: NVIDIA TU117GLM [T1200 Laptop GPU] vendor: Lenovo
      driver: nouveau v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:1fbc
      Device-3: Acer Integrated Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 3-4:3
      chip-ID: 5986:9106
      Display: wayland server: X.org 1.21.1.3 compositor: gnome-shell driver:
      loaded: nouveau note: n/a (using device driver) - try sudo/root
      resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics (TGL GT1) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.3.4
      direct render: Yes
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel Tiger Lake-H HD Audio vendor: Lenovo
      driver: sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:43c8
      Device-2: NVIDIA vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
      bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:10fa
      Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.16.0-1-default running: yes
      Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
      Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.43 running: yes
    bb@localhost:~>
    http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=357d68...31e0b01510b530

    I note the following errors reported in your diagnostic output...
    Code:
    sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: ipc tx error for 0x60010000 (msg/reply size: 108/20): -12
    sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: error: hw params ipc failed for stream 2
    sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: ASoC: error at snd_soc_pcm_component_hw_params on 0000:00:1f.3: -12
    DMIC: ASoC: soc_pcm_hw_params() failed (-12)
    DMIC: ASoC: dpcm_fe_dai_hw_params failed (-12)
    The kernel boot option outlined here may be of value...
    https://forum.manjaro.org/t/sound-no...aro-21-1/73773
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

  7. #7

    Smile Re: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I note the following errors reported in your diagnostic output...
    Code:
    sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: ipc tx error for 0x60010000 (msg/reply size: 108/20): -12
    sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: error: hw params ipc failed for stream 2
    sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: ASoC: error at snd_soc_pcm_component_hw_params on 0000:00:1f.3: -12
    DMIC: ASoC: soc_pcm_hw_params() failed (-12)
    DMIC: ASoC: dpcm_fe_dai_hw_params failed (-12)
    The kernel boot option outlined here may be of value...
    https://forum.manjaro.org/t/sound-no...aro-21-1/73773

    Thank you so much, forcing the kernel to load the legacy driver worked! I really appreciate your time, THANK YOU!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,901
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    Quote Originally Posted by fenreer View Post
    Thank you so much, forcing the kernel to load the legacy driver worked! I really appreciate your time, THANK YOU!
    Ok, thanks for reporting back here. It is likely a temporary regression. Let us know if you have any further issues around this.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

  9. #9

    Default Re: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    The microphone is not working on the Thinkpad either. I don't see any sound input devices in yast, and running a command-line recording of a .wav file creates the file as expected but the file contains no audio data whatsoever. I re-ran the alsa script following my update to the older audio driver. Unfortunately i did not test the microphone before enacting your previously mentioned update to the sound kernel module loading at boot via grub.

    http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=382f5a...16a2428780b8a6

    Also sort of funny, the audio troubleshooting guide for OpenSUSE says to check the microphone page which is a stub that hasn't been created yet.

    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Audio_tr...the_microphone

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    23,901
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: No sound on brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T15 Gen2

    Have you checked to ensure that the mic is not muted and the level is set appropriately?

    I noted the following for example...
    Code:
    Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost',0
      Capabilities: volume
      Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
      Limits: 0 - 3
      Front Left: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
      Front Right: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •