Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hfsplus, hfsprogs, hfsplus-tools

Default hfsplus, hfsprogs, hfsplus-tools

What is needed to format SSD as hfsplus and to access (rw) hfsplus and fsck.hfsplus file system on an external usb3 connected SSD device (docking station)?

It seems that 'yast2 partitioner' doesn't support hfsplus, but probably gparted can do it.

It seems that basic hfsplus support should be available in the kernel
    https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/late...s/hfsplus.html

without specifying the kernel version?

Leap 15.3
    Code:
    uname -r
    5.3.18-59.37-default
    An automounted SSD in my case:
    Code:
    df -Th /dev/sdj1
    Filesystem     Type     Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdj1      hfsplus  477G  387M  477G   1% /run/media/terje/untitled

The only 'hfs' packages I've found for Leap 15.3 is 'hfsutils' v. 3,2,6 and 'xhfsutil' (front-end), but it seems to be for the previous hfs file system and not for hfsplus?

What about 'hfsprogs, and 'hfsplus-tools' packages for Debian and Fedora, isn't there available and need for a corresponding packages for Leap 15.3?

Default Re: hfsplus, hfsprogs, hfsplus-tools

Quote Originally Posted by terjejh View Post
    It seems that basic hfsplus support should be available in the kernel
    But, it doesn't seem to be included in the current openSUSE Leap 15.3 kernel –
    • “cat /proc/filesystems” and upper/lowercase search for “hfs” – it ain't there …
    • Ditto in the “filesystems” man page …

Wikipedia does supply some clues as to what is going on – <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus#Linux> –
    • You may have to contact the Paragon Software Group for the commercial HFS Plus driver …

The output results I've got on Leap 15.3 looks confusing and not consistently as far as I understand:

This repeated df command say type 'hfsplus'
    Code:
    df -Th /dev/sdj1 
    Filesystem     Type     Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on 
    /dev/sdj1      hfsplus  477G  387M  477G   1% /run/media/terje/untitled
    The mount man page contains no 'hfsplus', just 'hfs':
    Code:
    man mount | grep hfsplus 

man mount | grep hfs 
                  ple  'fuse.sshfs'.  It's recommended to use subtype  notation rather than add any prefix  to  the  mount  source  (for 
                  example 'sshfs#example.com' is deprecated). 
       Mount options for hfs 
                  mksquashfs /etc /tmp/etc.squashfs 
                  veritysetup format /tmp/etc.squashfs /tmp/etc.hash 
                  verity.roothashsig=/tmp/etc.p7 /tmp/etc.squashfs /mnt 
           create  squashfs image from /etc directory, verity hash device  and mount verified filesystem image to /mnt.  The kernel will 
           option is used for filesystems with subtypes support (for  example /sbin/mount.fuse -t fuse.sshfs).
    And the mount command has had output 'hfsplus' with both (rw...) and (ro...)?
    Code:
    mount | grep hfs 
    /dev/sdj1 on /run/media/terje/untitled type hfsplus  (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,umask=22,uid=1000,gid=100,nls=utf8,uhelper=udisks2)

mount | grep hfs 
    /dev/sdj1 on /run/media/terje/untitled type hfsplus (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime,umask=22,uid=1000,gid=100,nls=utf8,uhelper=udisks2)
    I was able to delete (rm) some visible 'empty' files on the hfs(plus) file system disk earlier to-day!

/etc/filesystems contains 'hfs', not 'hfsplus'
    Code:
    cat /etc/filesystems 
    vfat 
    hfs 
    minix 
    reiserfs 
    exfat 
    exfat_fuse 

What about 'hfsprogs, and 'hfsplus-tools' packages for Debian and Fedora, isn't there available
    I guess you know it yourself - it is not.
    need for a corresponding packages for Leap 15.3?
    Personally I never needed to format HFS or HFS+, and I suspect I am now alone. As usual you have two options - find someone who is willing to do the job for you or try to compile it yourself. You can start with https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...uklly/hfsprogs and try to build it for Leap 15.3.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    But, it doesn't seem to be included in the current openSUSE Leap 15.3 kernel –
    • “cat /proc/filesystems” and upper/lowercase search for “hfs” – it ain't there …
    • Ditto in the “filesystems” man page …

Wikipedia does supply some clues as to what is going on – <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus#Linux> –
    • You may have to contact the Paragon Software Group for the commercial HFS Plus driver …
    But I find 'hfsplus'
    Code:
    cat /proc/filesystems | grep hfs
        hfsplus

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    I guess you know it yourself - it is not.

Personally I never needed to format HFS or HFS+, and I suspect I am now alone. As usual you have two options - find someone who is willing to do the job for you or try to compile it yourself. You can start with https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...uklly/hfsprogs and try to build it for Leap 15.3.
    Well, I formatted the actual SSD with Gparted in 2016 on openSUSE Leap 42.1
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...s-on-Leap-42-1

Now I will need several more SSD disks with hfsplus file systems to record uncompressed video, and where I want do post processing on Linux
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...SE_Tumbleweed/

Code:
    fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdj1 
    ** /dev/sdj1 
    ** Checking HFS Plus volume. 
    ** Checking Extents Overflow file. 
    ** Checking Catalog file. 
    ** Checking Catalog hierarchy. 
    ** Checking Extended Attributes file. 
    ** Checking volume bitmap. 
    ** Checking volume information. 
    ** The volume untitled appears to be OK.

But I find 'hfsplus'
    You're not wrong –
    Code:
     > LANG=C ls -l /lib/modules/5.3.18-59.37-default/kernel/fs/hfsplus/
    total 52
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 52724 Nov 24 07:14 hfsplus.ko.xz
     >
    Maybe, someone has executed “modprobe hfsplus” on your system.
    • And, added “hfs” to the ‘/etc/filesystems’ file supplied by the “util-linux” package …
    • That's OK – I add “exfat” to that file – and, try to remember that, I need to re-edit that file if and when the “util-linux” package changes …
    • Your administrator should change the “hfs” entry in that file to “hfsplus” …

‘/etc/filesystems’ is read by “mount” if, the “-t” option isn't present – if the last line (entry) in that file is the character “*”, “mount” then goes looking in ‘/proc/filesystems’ for the filesystem type …
    • The filesystems supported by any given Kernel are located in ‘/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/’ …

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    You're not wrong –
    Maybe, someone has executed “modprobe hfsplus” on your system.
    • And, added “hfs” to the ‘/etc/filesystems’ file supplied by the “util-linux” package …
    • That's OK – I add “exfat” to that file – and, try to remember that, I need to re-edit that file if and when the “util-linux” package changes …
    • Your administrator should change the “hfs” entry in that file to “hfsplus” …
    This is on one of my home workstations, where I'm the admin myself. I had gparted and hfsutils installed already on Leap 42.1 in 2016. Later on there have been online upgrades or from dvd media; possibly I had to replace the root file system with a new installation somewhere for Leap 15.x.

Related packages installed on 15.3 now are:
    Code:
    zypper se -is hfs util-linux gparted
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name               | Type    | Version           | Arch   | Repository
    ---+--------------------+---------+-------------------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------
    i+ | gparted            | package | 0.31.0-bp153.1.17 | x86_64 | Main Repository
    i+ | gparted-lang       | package | 0.31.0-bp153.1.17 | noarch | Main Repository
    i+ | hfsutils           | package | 3.2.6-2.20        | x86_64 | Main Repository
    i+ | sshfs              | package | 2.9-bp153.1.15    | x86_64 | Main Repository
    i  | util-linux         | package | 2.36.2-4.5.1      | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
    i  | util-linux-lang    | package | 2.36.2-4.5.1      | noarch | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
    i  | util-linux-systemd | package | 2.36.2-4.5.1      | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
    i+ | xhfsutil           | package | 3.2.6-2.20        | x86_64 | Main Repository

zypper info --requires gparted | grep hfs
        hfsutils

zypper se -is --provides hfs

S  | Name             | Type    | Version           | Arch   | Repository
    ---+------------------+---------+-------------------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------
    i+ | hfsutils         | package | 3.2.6-2.20        | x86_64 | Main Repository
    i+ | kernel-default   | package | 5.3.18-59.37.2    | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
    i+ | openSUSE-release | package | 15.3-lp1532.157.1 | x86_64 | Hovedpakkebrønn for oppdateringer
    i+ | sshfs            | package | 2.9-bp153.1.15    | x86_64 | Main Repository
    i+ | xhfsutil         | package | 3.2.6-2.20        | x86_64 | Main Repository

zypper se -is --provides hfsplus

S  | Name           | Type    | Version        | Arch   | Repository
    ---+----------------+---------+----------------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------
    i+ | kernel-default | package | 5.3.18-59.37.2 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15

‘/etc/filesystems’ is read by “mount” if, the “-t” option isn't present – if the last line (entry) in that file is the character “*”, “mount” then goes looking in ‘/proc/filesystems’ for the filesystem type …
    • The filesystems supported by any given Kernel are located in ‘/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs/’ …
    OK, thanks.

But the hfsplus external SSD is automounted Read only and it seems like I cannot get it ReadWrite accessible longer either:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...70#post3099970

while I got it ReadWrite accessible previously on Leap 42.1:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...90#post2758790

Code:
    # df /dev/sdj1
    Filesystem     1K-blocks   Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sdj1      500106240 396200 499710040   1% /run/media/terje/untitled

# ls -la /run/media/terje/untitled
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x  1 root root  3 Jan 18 00:58 .
    drwxr-x---+ 4 root root 80 Jan 23 13:22 ..

# chgrp -R users /run/media/terje/untitled
    chgrp: changing group of '/run/media/terje/untitled': Read-only file system

# chmod -R 775 /run/media/terje/untitled
    chmod: changing permissions of '/run/media/terje/untitled': Read-only file system

# cd /run/media/terje/untitled
    # touch test2
    touch: cannot touch 'test2': Read-only file system
    How can I get the hfsplus SSD mounted and preferably automounted with ReadWrite access?

Please first show if it is mounted ro.
    Code:
    mount | grep terje
    Then check if there are any messages during mounting that explain why it is read-only. e/g/ by mounting from the terminal (it must be unmounted at that moment of course, either by the desktop or with the umount command).
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast