Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No audio on Pine64

Blog Entries

Default Re: No audio on Pine64

Quote Originally Posted by Jaizkibel View Post
    Then I gave the Arch Linux version a chance. And everything seems perfect now.
    That's good news. Glad to read GNU/Linux is working for you on that device.

One thing you could do is run the diagnostic script under the Arch Linux version, and then compare that with the openSUSE output of the script. That 'might' give a hint as to where the difference lay (and possibly why the openSUSE variant does not work):
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

I ran the script. This time some other error messges appeared before the process actually started:

Code:

pcilib: Cannot open /proc/bus/pci 
    lspci: Cannot find any working access method. 
    cat: /tmp/alsa-info.wvzaGRgi7B/acpidevicestatus.tmp: No such file or directory 
    cat: '/sys/module/snd_soc_simple_card/parameters/*': No such file or directory

If you like to take a look at the outcome:

https://alsa-project.org/db/?f=79a86...fb42ecee73015b

Some more fields are filled out compared to the last Suse one. But I have no clue what might be the reason. Sometimes I think the problem is on the kernel side, so that it could need a patch. But why should the actual version need a patch while it's stated that audio already works - and where would I find it? Questions over questions. There is only one small forum thread about openSuse on pinephone (it's not small, but forlorn). And it seems a little orphaned.
    Maybe I I will collect all the data and try my luck there, once I found the energy for it. I would really love to get Suse running. Arch is indeed an appealing challenge. But I feel a smart phone is not the perfect device to learn a new distro (adding to the fact that it is in fact a special side version of Arch linux). I could take my laptop for this project, that I currently only use for its SD card reader. But that all are different stories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaizkibel View Post
    I ran the script. This time some other error messges appeared before the process actually started:

Code:

cat: /tmp/alsa-info.wvzaGRgi7B/acpidevicestatus.tmp: No such file or directory 
    cat: '/sys/module/snd_soc_simple_card/parameters/*': No such file or directory

If you like to take a look at the outcome:

https://alsa-project.org/db/?f=79a86...fb42ecee73015b

Some more fields are filled out compared to the last Suse one. But I have no clue what might be the reason. Sometimes I think the problem is on the kernel side, so that it could need a patch. But why should the actual version need a patch while it's stated that audio already works - and where would I find it? Questions over questions. There is only one small forum thread about openSuse on pinephone (it's not small, but forlorn). And it seems a little orphaned.
    Maybe I I will collect all the data and try my luck there, once I found the energy for it. I would really love to get Suse running. Arch is indeed an appealing challenge. But I feel a smart phone is not the perfect device to learn a new distro (adding to the fact that it is in fact a special side version of Arch linux). I could take my laptop for this project, that I currently only use for its SD card reader. But that all are different stories.
    Many thanks for that. I took a look.

The alsa sound driver has many components in the kernel, so its not surprising audio might not work for an older kernel, but will work for a newer kernel. This is especially true the more new hardware may be.

I note the openSUSE Tumbleweed install you tried had a 5.12.13-11 kernel. Arch Linux? It had a much newer 5.16.0-2 kernel.

Note the sound card identification. openSUSE identified the cards as:
    Code:
    !!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
    !!-----------------------------

0 [sun50ia64hdmi  ]: sun50i-a64-hdmi - sun50i-a64-hdmi
                          sun50i-a64-hdmi
     1 [PinePhone      ]: PinePhone - PinePhone
                          PinePhone
    Now note the archlinux install. It identified the sound card as:
    Code:
    !!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
    !!-----------------------------

0 [PinePhone      ]: simple-card - PinePhone
                          PinePhone
    If hardware was identical, its puzzling while openSUSE identified an additional sound device.

Now look at the loaded ALSA modules. openSUSE identifed two ALSA modules (possibly one with each device):
    Code:
    !!Loaded ALSA modules
    !!-------------------

snd_soc_simple_card (card 0)
    snd_soc_simple_card (card 1)
    and look at archlinux? Just the one:
    Code:
    !!Loaded ALSA modules
    !!-------------------

snd_soc_simple_card (card 0)
    Important here, is given sound work works with arch linux, sound nominally BY DEFAULT goes to sound card-0.

But in openSUSE case, the PinePhone sound device is 'card-1'. This says to me, that you need to then configure openSUSE and redirect sound from card-0 to card-1, else NO sound in openSUSE. If you did not configure to address that then that could be the reason for no sound in Tumbleweed.

Similar, look at aplay. For ArchLinux:
    Code:
    !!Aplay/Arecord output
    !!--------------------

APLAY

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: PinePhone [PinePhone], device 0: 1c22c00.dai-sun8i-codec-aif1 sun8i-codec-aif1-0 [1c22c00.dai-sun8i-codec-aif1 sun8i-codec-aif1-0]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    and for openSUSE Tumbleweed:
    Code:
    !!Aplay/Arecord output
    !!--------------------

APLAY

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: sun50ia64hdmi [sun50i-a64-hdmi], device 0: 1c22800.i2s-i2s-hifi i2s-hifi-0 [1c22800.i2s-i2s-hifi i2s-hifi-0]
    card 1: PinePhone [PinePhone], device 0: 1c22c00.dai-sun8i-codec-aif1 sun8i-codec-aif1-0 [1c22c00.dai-sun8i-codec-aif1 sun8i-codec-aif1-0]
    Again - sound in Tumbleweed going to card-0 (which is likely not connected in your setup) ... and needs to go to card-1. Hence if going to the sound-card-0 there will be no sound, unless an app (such as pauvcontrol) is used to redirect the sound to card-1.

There are also many other differences, in the MIXER (which you can tune in openSUSE) which might explain the difference. In openSUSE the "Line Out Source',0 is configured to "Stero". But in Arch Linux it is configured to "Mono Differential".

In openSUSE "ADC Gain" set to 43%. In arch set to 100%

in openSUSE "AIFI Slot 0 Digital DAC" playback set 'OFF'. In archlinux, set 'ON'.

I also note the loaded kernel modules are different. openSUSE linux has a couple of sound modules loaded that archlinux does not have loaded, which are:
    Code:
    snd_compress
    snd_soc_hdmi_codec
    Unfortunately the archlinux script output does not tell me what packages are installed, so I can't get any hints there.

As near as I can see, the major differences, which could explain why no audio in the Tumbleweed are :
    • Arch linux has a newer kernel, ergo newer drivers could explain why
    • openSUSE Tumbleweed was likely sending audio to card-0 , which means you would hear nothing unless you redirected it to card-1.
    • the ArchLinux mixer has a different configuaration with sound working, which could also explain the difference

Honestly, the reason for no sound in Tumbleweed could be anyone of those 3, where 2 of them are things that you can configure yourself. Updating the kernel on this non-intel device may not be as easy.

I found the problem and just now i am updating Kernel to 5.16.1 and also fixing Audio.

We has to move directory to a folder inside /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/Pine64/PinePhone intead older one tree that it was /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhone and then create some simbolic links like this:

sudo ln -sf /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/Pine64/PinePhone/PinePhone.conf /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/conf.d/simple-card/PinePhone.conf
    sudo ln -s /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/Pine64/PinePhone/ /usr/share/alsa/ucm2/PinePhone

The problem was with an update from alsa-ucm to 1.2.6

So this solution solves the problem with audio in Pinephone Tumbleweed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alefnode View Post
    I found the problem and just now i am updating Kernel to 5.16.1 and also fixing Audio.
    Interesting solution.

I never would have guessed that.

Thank you for sharing your solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12