Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New computer

Default Re: New computer

Quote Originally Posted by filip76 View Post
    Hi!

At the moment I have 2 M.2 drives:

1) original, 256 GB with Windows
    2) new, clean 1TB for data (music, movies, photos) - I want to share this disk on the network (samba, DLNA) and between Windows and Linux.

I decided to use dual boot for now and check the virtualization of the other on each system. This way I will check which combination will be optimal for me.

Originally, I planned to split 1 disk between Windows and Linux and use the second disk only for data, but 256 GB may not be enough for two systems with virtual machines.

What do you think?
    Hi filip76,
    Once you get a decent dual boot working, I really wonder why you'd keep trying to go for virtualization - and even double, as it seems after reading this post. AFAIK dual boot is the most common approach here. Just considering a "regular" install, I'd say 256G is plenty for two OS if you have a whole drive for all data.
    I'd use that drive as you planned for dual boot and put /home/ on the 1TB drive - full thing. As you said you need win10 basically for Garmin software. You wouldn't need a lot of data in a specific "windows data", right? So all you need is your /home/. You can share relevant folders with samba to access them from windows.
    Unless you need the virtualization for other things. I have to admit I didn't read all posts in full detail...

kasi

Hi!

At the moment I have 2 M.2 drives:

1) original, 256 GB with Windows
    2) new, clean 1TB for data (music, movies, photos) - I want to share this disk on the network (samba, DLNA) and between Windows and Linux.

I decided to use dual boot for now and check the virtualization of the other on each system. This way I will check which combination will be optimal for me.

Originally, I planned to split 1 disk between Windows and Linux and use the second disk only for data, but 256 GB may not be enough for two systems with virtual machines.

What do you think?
    Presumably most users would want to try native installs first and use double boot. Partitioning should rely on disk performance. See Ars recommended tests https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...-way-with-fio/
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Hi,

thank you for all the answers. Unfortunately, I haven't had much free time lately, but this weekend I want to finally move to a new computer.

Quote Originally Posted by clementishutin View Post
    At first i thought you bought a new computer.
    Yes, I bought a new one, but I still have an old computer.

I had no idea what the "architecture" of the new computer should be. In addition - as I wrote - life has verified many of my assumptions, such as the need to buy special frames for HDDs, which are not officially sold. Therefore, the new computer is still not ready, and I am experimenting with virtualization on the old one.

Unfortunately, in the old computer the network card on PCIe broke (the one built into the motherboard broke a few years ago), so the migration turns into a rush evacuation.

Quote Originally Posted by kasi042 View Post
    Hi filip76,
    Once you get a decent dual boot working, I really wonder why you'd keep trying to go for virtualization - and even double, as it seems after reading this post. AFAIK dual boot is the most common approach here. Just considering a "regular" install, I'd say 256G is plenty for two OS if you have a whole drive for all data.
    I'd use that drive as you planned for dual boot and put /home/ on the 1TB drive - full thing. As you said you need win10 basically for Garmin software. You wouldn't need a lot of data in a specific "windows data", right? So all you need is your /home/. You can share relevant folders with samba to access them from windows.
    Unless you need the virtualization for other things. I have to admit I didn't read all posts in full detail...

kasi
    As you have noticed, I have no sensible idea for the development of this new computer. I wanted to plan everything in advance - with your help - and then implement it.

However, I wanted to try both basic options, i.e. dual boot and virtualization.
    I would prefer to install only OpenSUSE, transferring to the new computer all my patents that have been tested over the years, i.e. partitioning, ext4 file system, encryption of some of them.
    Then I would install Windows in the virtual machine (karlmistelberger showed me how - thanks again!).
    I consider this solution to be the best.

However, I have a completely legal Windows system with Dell support on the disk, which - on reflection - I consider a minor bonus. Perhaps in six months' time I will change my mind, checking it in practice.
    Dual boot also has the advantage that my wife, who is reluctant to use her OpenSUUSE account on my old computer, could simply log into her Windows account without any problems.

Finally, with regard to the idea of ​​using disks - I want to put both operating systems on one 256 GB disk.
    The /home partition may end up on this as well, since I only have my personal documents on it. Music, movies, photos are on the /data partition that is shared on the network and the corresponding /home folders like Movies, Music, Photo are linked to their counterparts on the /data partition
    I want to use this layout on a new computer.
    I hope that the translator coped with the translation and what I wrote has some sense

Regards!

It's more difficult than I thought.
    1. To install Linux, you need to change the RAID to AHCI in the BIOS. Unfortunately, this causes Windows to not boot. Changing AHCI to RAID causes Windows to start but not OpenSUSE ...
    2. WSL is some kind of prosthesis, I do not think that with its help I got access to ext4 disks, encrypted in addition. Maybe in Virtualbox but I don't feel like checking it out. Linux virtualization in Windows is unlikely to work with my proprietary partition system.
    3. The KVM on the old computer is not sharing connected Windows USB devices in the virtual machine. I think it would be the same on the new computer. Probably it is fixable, but it doesn't work out of the box.
    4. Will try again but this time install Linux on the second disk.
    5. I am seriously thinking about switching to Windows completely on the new computer, if necessary I will still have OpenSUSE on the old one

It's more difficult than I thought. To install Linux, you need to change the RAID to AHCI in the BIOS. Unfortunately, this causes Windows to not boot. Changing AHCI to RAID causes Windows to start but not openSUSE ....
    1. Start with Tumbleweed / AHCI on partitions sda1 and sda2 ;
    Code:

i3-4130:~ # fdisk -l /dev/sda 
    Disk /dev/sda: 232.89 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors
    Disk model: CT250MX500SSD1   
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes 
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes 
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes 
    Disklabel type: gpt 
    Disk identifier: 3B04C452-DAD9-45C6-9BD3-AE398288F628 

Device        Start      End  Sectors  SizeType
    /dev/sda1       2048   1026047   1024000   500M EFI System 
    /dev/sda2    1026048 283596799 282570752 134.7G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sda3  283596800 385996799 102400000  48.8G Linux filesystem 
    /dev/sda4  385996800 386029567     32768    16M Microsoft reserved 
    /dev/sda5  386029568 488396799 102367232  48.8G Microsoft basic data 
    i3-4130:~ #
    2. Test thoroughly.

3. Install Windows from .iso on sda1, sda4 and sda5.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

It's more difficult than I thought.
    1. To install Linux, you need to change the RAID to AHCI in the BIOS. Unfortunately, this causes Windows to not boot. Changing AHCI to RAID causes Windows to start but not OpenSUSE ...
    It is not difficult, you posted a solution for this in #47. It just needs to be acted upon.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

Quote Originally Posted by awerlang View Post
    It is not difficult, you posted a solution for this in #47. It just needs to be acted upon.
    Thanks, it helped. Probably until the next Windows update?

I'll be honest - for a couple of years my system just worked on my old computer. It took no effort on my part.

But today I feel tired and discouraged: the sound is not working, I found a similar problem here:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-does-not-work

I just don't feel like sticking with Linux anymore. I'll just switch to Windows and if nothing dramatic happens, I'll stay on it.

@filip76 If you decide to give Linux another try you could always buy a System 76. Or a Tuxedo, I have a tuxedo, there is also Slimbook. All of these make machines with Linux pre installed. Having said that I wasn't keen on the preinstalled Ubuntu Budgie my Tuxedo came with so it now runs Fedora. What I am saying is there's more than Dell available.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567