Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There is no official package available for openSUSE Leap 15.3

Default There is no official package available for openSUSE Leap 15.3

It's me or there are a lot of packages in leap 15.3 with this problem?

I have upgraded recently from 15.2 to 15.3 and I'm experiencing this a lot. It seems that 15.3 not only lacks community and additional repos, it is taht a lot of packages that in 15.2 where in the official repos are not in 15.3 official repos.
    I don't remember something like this when upgrading before (maybe I have forgotten it).

Default Re: There is no official package available for openSUSE Leap 15.3

When you do not mention even one of those packages you are missing, how can people here investigate?
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Hi
    Likely packages that have moved to the SLE side (or repo name changes to 15.3) and using software search.... better to use zypper search or or cnf....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    When you do not mention even one of those packages you are missing, how can people here investigate?
    I was expressing a feeling because I think it has happened to me several times since I have upgraded. I will collect them from now on. Searching in the history of firefox now I can find:

python3
    Leap 15.2 -> official update
    Leap 15.3 -> community

gnuradio
    15.2 -> hamradio.repo
    15.3 -> inexistent

calibre
    15.2 -> standar repo
    15.3 -> inexistent (I did install it but I don't remember how)

tigerVNC client
    15.2 -> standar repo

telegram-desktop
    15.2 -> standar repo
    15.3 -> inexistent (I did install it using snappy)

I know there were some more but I don't remember which ones.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what you are looking for.

All of those show up when I use the search box in Yast software management. I have calibre installed here from the main repo. And tigervnc is installed here, presumably by default because I did not explicitly install it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5.24.4;
    testing Tumbleweed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fperal View Post
    I was expressing a feeling because I think it has happened to me several times since I have upgraded. I will collect them from now on. Searching in the history of firefox now I can find:

python3
    Leap 15.2 -> official update
    Leap 15.3 -> community

gnuradio
    15.2 -> hamradio.repo
    15.3 -> inexistent

calibre
    15.2 -> standar repo

tigerVNC client
    15.2 -> standar repo

telegram-desktop
    15.2 -> standar repo
    15.3 -> inexistent (I did install it using snappy)
    How were you searching for these? They are all available for Leap 15.3.

For example...
    Code:
    dean@linux-4k1z:~> zypper se -s tigervnc telegram-desktop
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S | Name             | Type    | Version          | Arch   | Repository
    --+------------------+---------+------------------+--------+---------------------
      | telegram-desktop | package | 2.5.8-bp153.1.14 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-15.3-2
      | telegram-desktop | package | 2.5.8-bp153.1.14 | x86_64 | Main Repository
    i | tigervnc         | package | 1.9.0-19.9.1     | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-15.3-2
    i | tigervnc         | package | 1.9.0-19.9.1     | x86_64 | Main Repository
      | tigervnc-x11vnc  | package | 1.9.0-19.9.1     | noarch | openSUSE-Leap-15.3-2
      | tigervnc-x11vnc  | package | 1.9.0-19.9.1     | noarch | Main Repository
    dean@linux-4k1z:~>
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

Hi
    The gnuradio package is there;

Code:
    zypper if gnuradio

Information for package gnuradio:
    ---------------------------------
    Repository     : Main Repository
    Name           : gnuradio
    Version        : 3.8.1.0-bp153.1.96
    The backports repo... unless you want the devel repo version which is there...

https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...e:sdr/gnuradio

repo: https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...USE_Leap_15.3/

Python 3.6 is there?

Code:
    ls -la `which python3`
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 31 03:49 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.6

zypper if python3-base

Information for package python3-base:
    -------------------------------------
    Repository     : Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
    Name           : python3-base
    Version        : 3.6.13-10.3.1
    Did you disable the SLE repos, or never got added?
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 07-Dec-2021 at 22:11.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm not sure what you are looking for.
    C'mon, really. That s.o.o search does not work for 15.3 is known for months (since release of 15.3), it briefly appeared to be fixed and became broken again. Moreover, due to underlying reasons it will probably remain broken forever for all future releases.

Of course you can continue to tell users that it's their own fault for not using the right tool. But the fact is, that every other Linux distribution I am aware of has web site where you can look up packages available in release. And users may be using such site before installing - to decide whether this distribution has necessary software. With software.opensuse.org they are told that this distribution does not have anything.

Quote Originally Posted by fperal View Post
    It's me or there are a lot of packages in leap 15.3 with this problem?

I have upgraded recently from 15.2 to 15.3 and I'm experiencing this a lot. It seems that 15.3 not only lacks community and additional repos, it is taht a lot of packages that in 15.2 where in the official repos are not in 15.3 official repos.
    I don't remember something like this when upgrading before (maybe I have forgotten it).
    https://search.opensuse.org/packages/ currently offers search for Tumbleweed, Leap 15.1 and Leap 15.2 only. You may verify this by viewing e.g. https://software.opensuse.org/package/fetchmail Use zypper search instead. The command will find uninstalled packages in the enabled repositories:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # zypper --reposd-dir /mnt/@/.snapshots/1/snapshot/etc/zypp/repos.d/ --releasever 15.3 search thunderbird 
    Warning: Enforced setting: $releasever=15.3 
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 

S | Name                                   | Summary                                                      | Type 
    --+----------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------+----------- 
      | MozillaThunderbird                     | An integrated email, news feeds, chat, and newsgroups client | srcpackage 
      | MozillaThunderbird                     | An integrated email, news feeds, chat, and newsgroups client | package 
      | MozillaThunderbird-debuginfo           | Debug information for package MozillaThunderbird             | package 
      | MozillaThunderbird-debugsource         | Debug sources for package MozillaThunderbird                 | package 
      | MozillaThunderbird-translations-common | Common translations for Thunderbird                          | package 
      | MozillaThunderbird-translations-other  | Extra translations for Thunderbird                           | package 
    erlangen:~ #
    Omit the bold text when running the command on Leap 15.3.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    C'mon, really. That s.o.o search does not work for 15.3 is known for months (since release of 15.3), it briefly appeared to be fixed and became broken again. Moreover, due to underlying reasons it will probably remain broken forever for all future releases.

Of course you can continue to tell users that it's their own fault for not using the right tool. But the fact is, that every other Linux distribution I am aware of has web site where you can look up packages available in release. And users may be using such site before installing - to decide whether this distribution has necessary software. With software.opensuse.org they are told that this distribution does not have anything.

I found this to be the case also, many packages on the find a packge pages only cater for leap upto 15.2 and a note saying no package available for 15.3

I have switched to Tumbleweed as a result. My opinion is that Leap is now a freebie server OS and not suitable for ordinary users as a desktop version.

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast