Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: X won't show anything if the monitor hasn't been on since system boot - Monitor blank on console 7th

Default Re: X won't show anything if the monitor hasn't been on since system boot - Monitor blank on console

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    BTW, does unplugging and re-plugging the DP cable get the display active at all? I've also seen a couple of reports that suggest turning off DCC/CI (Display Data Channel/Command Interface) in the monitor settings (if present). YMMV.

https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comm...layport_sleep/

Which brand/model is the monitor in question?
    Have unplugged the DP cable in the past as well, will try it again though.
    I did disable the DDC/CI just now and will test rebooting.
    My monitor is ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ.

Default Re: X won't show anything if the monitor hasn't been on since system boot - Monitor blank on console

BTW, does unplugging and re-plugging the DP cable get the display active at all? I've also seen a couple of reports that suggest turning off DCC/CI (Display Data Channel/Command Interface) in the monitor settings (if present). YMMV.

https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comm...layport_sleep/

Which brand/model is the monitor in question?
    Unplugging results in the same DP NO Signal message.
    Disabling DDC/CI doesn't help either.

While in console 1, I did a ps ucx and the only processes running were systemd and sd-pam none of the X-server stuff weren't running!

Quote Originally Posted by simorgh View Post
    I used to have the .run file with the same problem, a week ago I updated my GeForce 3070 to an AMD Radeon RX 6800:
    Code:
    Machine:   Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: N/A v: N/A serial: <superuser/root required>  
               Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME Z490-A v: Rev 1.xx serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2301  
               date: 07/13/2021  
    CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: Intel Core i7-10700K bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 16.0 MiB  
               Speed: 4772 MHz min/max: 800/5100 MHz Core speeds (MHz):1: 3427 2: 3830 3: 3851 4: 3709 5: 3683 6: 3829 7: 3748  
               8: 3776 9: 4153 10: 3357 11: 3756 12: 3616 13: 3635 14: 4032 15: 4205 16: 3711  
    Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Navi 21 [Radeon RX 6800/6800 XT / 6900 XT] driver: amdgpu  
               v: 5.11.32.21.40  
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: amdgpu unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 2560x1440  
               OpenGL:renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (SIENNA_CICHLID DRM 3.43.0 5.3.18-59.34-default LLVM 12.0.1)  
               v: 4.6 Mesa 21.3.0-devel

I just asked because I had this similar problem with nvidia just recently.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    I just asked because I had this similar problem with nvidia just recently.
    I had an NVIDIA GeForce 3070 before, experiencing the DP No Signal thingy, and upgraded to Radeon RX 6800 thinking AMD is probably better with Linux based OS.
    Did you fix your issue?

I had an NVIDIA GeForce 3070 before, experiencing the DP No Signal thingy, and upgraded to Radeon RX 6800 thinking AMD is probably better with Linux based OS.
    Did you fix your issue?
    Yes I had fixed it. I am using the .run driver and the nvidia systemd which is installed by the driver was the culprit.
    There is an option to not install it and that was I did and now it is behaving as it should.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Yes I had fixed it. I am using the .run driver and the nvidia systemd which is installed by the driver was the culprit.
    There is an option to not install it and that was I did and now it is behaving as it should.
    Interesting. Can you please expand on that?
    I wonder if there is an equivalent option for AMD (amdgpu) driver as well.

I can only recommend sending a bug report to AMD...
    https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.i...l-bugrep.html#
    It's not an openSUSE issue.
    I did a full MX Linux 21 installation on my test SSD and booted the system while the monitor is off (same SSD that I tested openSUSE Tumbleweed on). It doesn't matter which stage of the system boot I turn on the monitor on, there is DP signal and no problems at all with MX Linux.

So now I have my doubt that IT IS openSUSE (both Leap and Tumbleweed, I've tested both) that causes the problem. Is it systemd? Because systemd is disabled by default on MX Linux.
    I have used openSUSE since 2016 and don't want to use any other distribution. Should I test the issue with another distro WITH systemd and see if it is systemd?!

Would greatly appreciate help.

Regards

Is it systemd?
    Of course. It is the reason of everything bad that happens in Linux. What else?
    Would greatly appreciate help.
    Start with determining whether kernel detects your display.
    Code:
    grep . /sys/class/drm/*/{enabled,status}
    Do it first in your good distribution before and after you switched on monitor. Is there any difference? Then do it in openSUSE. Is there any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Of course. It is the reason of everything bad that happens in Linux. What else?

Start with determining whether kernel detects your display.
    Code:
    grep . /sys/class/drm/*/{enabled,status}
    Do it first in your good distribution before and after you switched on monitor. Is there any difference? Then do it in openSUSE. Is there any difference?
    Thank you so much for your reply.

After MX install, my openSUSE grub menu is gone. So I am figuring out how to rescue my main openSUSE Leap drive (it is on an m.2 drive).
    What do you mean "good distribution"? On MX? How do I do that when the monitor is off? Do I SSH into it?

Right now, I am on MX and this is the output:
    Code:
    $ grep . /sys/class/drm/*/{enabled,status}
    /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-1/enabled:disabled
    /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-2/enabled:disabled
    /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-3/enabled:enabled
    /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/enabled:disabled
    /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-1/status:disconnected
    /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-2/status:disconnected
    /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-3/status:connected
    /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status:disconnected
    Thank you

How do I do that when the monitor is off? Do I SSH into it?
    Well, you can blindly type but yes, ssh into system will certainly be easier. You can also run cron job or systemd timer that executes it shortly after boot.
    Code:
    $ grep . /sys/class/drm/*/{enabled,status}
    /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-3/enabled:enabled
    /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-3/status:connected
    Is it your correct monitor (or, better, video input where monitor is connected)?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast