Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: network and dns is working but no internet

Default Re: network and dns is working but no internet

Quote Originally Posted by kleajmp View Post
    now what is the difference between su and su - ?
    I really don't know?
    Well, the first thing one should o before one uses any command in the shell that is mentioned "somewhere on the internet", is reading the man page.
    Code:
    man su
    There you will read that the - is short for the option -l and is equivalent to the long option --login:
    -, -l, --loginStart the shell as a login shell with an environment similar to a real login:
    . clears all the environment variables except TERM and variables specified by --whitelist-environment
    . initializes the environment variables HOME, SHELL, USER, LOGNAME, and PATH
    changes to the target user's home directory
    . sets argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make the shell a login shell
    In short it will then use the environment of the root user and not of the original user. Using the, often not really understood, user environment as root may be lethal. Just go to bed and dream about all the havoc one could create with a PATH variable that lets root execute other programs then those intended. It could become a nightmare.

It may be one of the first things a system manager will learn on a basic Unix system managers course since ~50 years.
    Henk van Velden

No commercial brand is doing that for it's customers
    Just to be sure you understand fully.
    There may be employees of openSUSE or SUSE here, but they not here as representatives of either.
    We are ALL regular users here and NOT customers.
    "The time is always right to do what's right." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    openSUSE 15.3 5.3.18-59.40-default x86_64

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Here is the problem. This is the second report on this forum. Something went wrong during some package installation/update. If you can remember when this problem started you could try to guess suspected package (version).

[NOTFOUND=return] is expected to be after mdns_minimal. You could also check the difference between /etc/nsswitch.conf and /usr/etc/nsswitch,conf and probably just delete /etc version.

You do not really need mdns unless you have local network with many hosts and want to avoid maintaining /etc/hosts or local DNS manually.
    Eventually the stuff will hit the fan. That's why I stick to KISS.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by kerijan2003 View Post
    Just to be sure you understand fully.
    There may be employees of openSUSE or SUSE here, but they not here as representatives of either.
    We are ALL regular users here and NOT customers.
    yes i know
    what I was saying was that you really provide helpful help, it was a compliment, as i don't give them so often.
    not worthless copypaste "support" as they provide on websites of commercial os'ses with expensive licences.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    Eventually the stuff will hit the fan. That's why I stick to KISS.
    It hit me, so now I became a fan.

but still, [NOTFOUND=return] was this piece of code causing a loop? or what exactly went wrong in the routing?
    I try to understand;

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19683-01...565/index.html

NOTFOUND
    The source responded with “No such entry.” In other words, the table, map, or file was accessed but the needed information was not found.

return
    Stop looking for the information.
    So [NOTFOUND=return] in the first position for hosts, it was not even trying to resolve names. This action becomes useful after at least one service (e.g. dns).
    openSUSE Tumbleweed

You mean you do not know whjat nsswitch.conf is supposed to do?

Code:
    man nsswitch.conf
    Henk van Velden

[NOTFOUND=return] was this piece of code causing a loop?
    What loop?
    what exactly went wrong in the routing?
    What routing? If you asking "why name resolution failed" - I assume initial state of name resolution is NOTFOUND and misplaced directive caused it to stop looking further right away.
    Linux is not Solaris, although in this case functionality is similar enough. But in general you should try to use native Linux documentation. Devil is in details.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    I assume initial state of name resolution is NOTFOUND and misplaced directive caused it to stop looking further right away.
    The reason is slightly different. Parser failed to find service name in the beginning and stopped looking further so the effect was empty list. As if nothing could provide name resolution. It did not really try to interpret this action.

Basically this is invalid syntax; action is meaningful only after service name and applies to preceding service name. Except invalid syntax would have resulted in glibc using default which is to use DNS. So it is arguably bug in glibc.

It hit me, so now I became a fan.
    Nscd caused some issues here. I now have:
    Code:
    erlangen:~ # systemctl status nscd.service systemd-resolved.service  
    ○ nscd.service - Name Service Cache Daemon 
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nscd.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled) 
         Active: inactive (dead) 

systemd-resolved.service - Network Name Resolution 
         Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled) 
         Active: active (running) since Tue 2021-11-23 18:28:12 CET; 4h 5min ago 
           Docs: man:systemd-resolved.service(8) 
                 man:org.freedesktop.resolve1(5) 
                 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-network-configuration-managers 
                 https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-resolver-clients 
       Main PID: 746 (systemd-resolve) 
          Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915) 
            CPU: 160ms 
         CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-resolved.service 
                 └─746 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-resolved 

Nov 23 18:28:12 erlangen systemd[1]: Starting Network Name Resolution... 
    Nov 23 18:28:12 erlangen systemd-resolved[746]: Positive Trust Anchors: 
    Nov 23 18:28:12 erlangen systemd-resolved[746]: . IN DS 20326 8 2 e06d44b80b8f1d39a95c0b0d7c65d08458e880409bbc683457104237c7f8ec8d 
    Nov 23 18:28:12 erlangen systemd-resolved[746]: Negative trust anchors: home.arpa 10.in-addr.arpa 16.172.in-addr.arpa 17.172.in-addr.arpa 18.172.in-addr.arpa 19.172.in-addr.arpa 20.172.in-addr.arpa 21.172.in-addr.arpa 22.172.in-addr.arpa 23.172.in-addr.arpa 24.172.in-add>
    Nov 23 18:28:12 erlangen systemd-resolved[746]: Using system hostname 'erlangen'. 
    Nov 23 18:28:12 erlangen systemd[1]: Started Network Name Resolution. 
    erlangen:~ #
    Networking is now reliable, fast and virtually maintenance free.
    i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), 5600X (2022) openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12