after last patch (kernel up date) lost the scrolling text at start up and shut down (disapper)

from 3 days or more i remove the splash image by next steps:

- uninstall plymouth completely (using yast)
- Change the kernel boot option "splash=silent" to "splash=verbose" (se YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options to change the kernel boot options)

and all work good(the splash image removed and can see the boot command sequence(scrolling text ), until i run last patch (just from 8:12 hours). after patch there’s no any scrolling text appears at startup or shut down, only black image then show me something like terminal(you know when hit “ctr+alt+F1” and ask you to log in you can say it the same. then it start (go direct to graphical log in windows).

last patch it update kernel to “5.3.18-59.30-default” (also install paunch of other kernels), i take copy for what installed:

~> sudo zypper patch
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 8 items are locked and will not be changed by any action:
 Installed:
  kernel-firmware-nvidia libdrm_nouveau2 nvidia-computeG04
  nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default nvidia-glG04 suse-prime x11-video-nvidiaG04
  xf86-video-nouveau

The following package is going to be upgraded:
  kernel-macros

The following 5 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  kernel-default-5.3.18-59.30.1 kernel-default-devel-5.3.18-59.30.1
  kernel-default-extra-5.3.18-59.30.1 kernel-default-optional-5.3.18-59.30.1
  kernel-devel-5.3.18-59.30.1

The following NEW patch is going to be installed:
  openSUSE-SLE-15.3-2021-3655

The following patch requires a system reboot:
  openSUSE-SLE-15.3-2021-3655

The following package requires a system reboot:
  kernel-default-5.3.18-59.30.1

1 package to upgrade, 5 new.
Overall download size: 130.8 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation,
additional 228.3 MiB will be used.

Note: System reboot required.
Continue? [y/n/v/...? shows all options] (y): y

1- so can find help to know why this happen and how fix it?
2- why other kernel installed(not just added to repo.), did i need uninstall them?
3- did i should lock the kernel so no change happen to it?

thanks in advance

important note: before go to tty1 screen there’s message say loading ramdisk or something like this then three line in every line there’s number and kvm and disabled by bios). then it start (go direct to graphical log in windows).

I am guessing that plymouth was somehow reinstalled.

The kernel update should not have been a problem. Maybe you need to uninstall plymouth again, and then lock plymouth so that it won’t be reinstalled.

i search for plymouth using yast software management and find it did not install a gain.

but i notice wired behavior from yast software management, normally it open on search tab but after patch it open on package classification tab:

did i need remove those kernels?

That is unrelated to your problem.

You can leave those as they are for the moment, the kernel version was marked as retracted because of this bug: 1192549 – Kernel 5.3.18-lp152.98-default breaks getdents(2) system call on NFS shares

There is a new update in progress.

Although if you use NFS you may want to temporarily boot with the previous kernel.

• i use “yast > boot loader > boot-loader options” to boot with previous kernel and it work (the scroll text is back and the “[some numbers] Kvm disabled by bios” message are hidden).

• it first time hear about NFS, when go to yast find there’s three package for NFS installed(attached image). when search find it “network file system: protocol that allow access to files on a server”, but i do not run server or connect my machine to any other group machine (network) only connect to the internet. did i need to uninstall them?

As you’re not using NFS there’s no reason to temporarily boot to a previous kernel. (Although it was interesting to note that restored the boot/shutdown text, can’t immediately think why that could be so.)

You need to undo that change, so again use “yast > boot loader > boot-loader options” to change it back to the way it was. - that’s not the way to temporarily boot to a previous kernel; to do that:

During reboot, when the initial “grub” screen is displayed you have a menu option for “Advanced options for openSUSE 15.3”, select that, you will then be presented with a further menu to enable you to choose the kernel to boot with. That will remain in effect until you again reboot, when, unless you select otherwise it will boot with the “normal” current kernel.

• it first time hear about NFS, when go to yast find there’s three package for NFS installed(attached image). when search find it “network file system: protocol that allow access to files on a server”, but i do not run server or connect my machine to any other group machine (network) only connect to the internet. did i need to uninstall them?

No, no need to remove those. There will be quite a lot of packages that are installed but, by nature of how you use your machine, are not “needed”. In general it’s best to leave them installed, but unused.

greeting
just from one or two hours when check for update find new kernel release “5.3.18-59.34.1” plus some other package, installed them. and after reboot back to yast and change kernel to opensuse 15.3 default kernel (in our case will be 5.3.18-59.34.1), and when reboot the boot/shutdown text are hidden again like what happen with previous kernel version (attached boot image).

also when go to yast find it still open on package classification tab, so i uninstall(remove) “5.3.18-59.30.1 kernel” and that make yast software management back to it’s normal behavior (open on search tab).

but still when use new kernel release “5.3.18-59.34.1” the boot/shutdown text diaper and see the attached image.
is there’s way to know why that happen, the reason behind it?
also if did not find solution, is there’s a problem if keeping “5.3.18-59.27” kernel as default kernel and lock it?

I don’t know why you are having this problem.

I’ll describe what I do. I leave plymouth installed. But I remove the string “splash=silent” from kernel boot options. And I do get to see the boot information – maybe not as much as with “splash=verbose”, but enough to satisfy me. Kernel updates do not change this, at least in my experience.

splash=verbose + uncheck graphical console box (in kernel parameters tab, using yast boot loader), work for me with original kernel (first kernel installed with the distro) but did not work with new updated kernel. i do not know the reason but i believe it something like bios do not give updated kernel full permission you know something like this.

also you can say am little bit familiar with cinnamon environment, so after install suse with gnome environment i install cinnamon using zypper and only use cinnamon. so i think maybe because the kernel update happens from cinnamon environment that make this problem.

in past i see video say there’s vanilla kernel that may try it in case face some problem, did i need give it a try?

Regarding the “kvm: disabled by bios” message. If you want to suppress that you can blacklist the kvm modules.

create a file named “50-blacklist-kvm.conf” in “/etc/modprobe.d” with the following content:

# blacklist kvm modules (suppresses "kvm: disabled by bios" message at boot)
blacklist kvm
blacklist kvm_intel
blacklist kvm_amd

Alternatively, just enable kvm in the bios.

after create the file “kvm: disabled by bios” message disappears, it work. but still shutdown/boot text is hidden, only see tty1 windows.

is there’s some how to see the kernel parameters options from outside of the cinnamon environment.

this the current parameters from inside the environment using yast(is it correct):

splash=verbose resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/fb735f35-4f57-4bef-a338-3a8b25b63ba2 quiet 
cat /proc/cmdline

will show the command line used on boot.

this the current parameters from inside the environment using yast(is it correct):

splash=verbose resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/fb735f35-4f57-4bef-a338-3a8b25b63ba2 quiet 

There’s a surplus “quiet” at the end of the line.

As a follow up on this, and relating to your “missing” boot/shutdown test, all my own systems are set up to have:

All “plymouth” packages removed.

The “splash=” and “quiet” options removed and “loglevel=3” added.

Which gives console boot messages sufficient for my requirements.

For reference these are the available loglevels:

loglevel=       All Kernel Messages with a loglevel smaller than the
                console loglevel will be printed to the console. The
                loglevels are defined as follows:

0 (KERN_EMERG)          system is unusable
                    1 (KERN_ALERT)          action must be taken immediately
                    2 (KERN_CRIT)           critical conditions
                    3 (KERN_ERR)            error conditions
                    4 (KERN_WARNING)        warning conditions
                    5 (KERN_NOTICE)         normal but significant condition
                    6 (KERN_INFO)           informational
                    7 (KERN_DEBUG)          debug-level messages

Ref: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html

remove “quiet”, return the scroll text again. but also i believe it show the scroll text for loading ramdisk. also set “loglevels”, give same results. in general it good enough for me.

still my advice for any one read the thread in feature, just do not install “plymouth” from the beginning (if you do not need the flash image).

many thanks for support