Thread: Guide for custom kernel

Question Guide for custom kernel

Hi,

I'm pretty new to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and since I come from the Gentoo territory I was wondering if there's an (un)official guide on how to compile your own custom kernel. I know how to compile the kernel (create the config, run make, etc.) but what I need is to also create the rpm for it. I know that the kernel updates are pretty frequent (as they also were in Gentoo) and compiling your custom kernel is probably pointless, but I'm eager to know the procedure.

Any links to guides...?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Guide for custom kernel

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyX View Post
    Hi,

I'm pretty new to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and since I come from the Gentoo territory I was wondering if there's an (un)official guide on how to compile your own custom kernel. I know how to compile the kernel (create the config, run make, etc.) but what I need is to also create the rpm for it. I know that the kernel updates are pretty frequent (as they also were in Gentoo) and compiling your custom kernel is probably pointless, but I'm eager to know the procedure.

Any links to guides...?
    Hi
    Easiest way is to copy link on the openSUSE Build service to your home project, tweak and build... choice of kernel head as well....

Start here and create and account, documentation links to the right: https://build.opensuse.org/
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: Guide for custom kernel

There's also README.SUSE inside the kernel source package (/usr/src/linux...) that describes the procedure.