Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to start gnome-terminal at login

Blog Entries

Default Re: how to start gnome-terminal at login

Quote Originally Posted by r_putzu View Post
    Thanks.
    Using pre-defined gnome apps like Tweaks works, thank you.
    However I'm wondering how to start a graphical application at login can be done using methods like systemd services or init.d scripts.
    thanks
    Hi
    If the application is running, then in GNOME Tweaks, scroll to the Startup Applications, click on the + sign, scroll the list for the application you want to autostart and add. Else create a desktop file and place in ~/.config/autostart.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

I'll add my two cents.

I have an "xterm" session that starts automatically. I set it up with Gnome Tweak tool. It created a ".desktop" file in "$HOME/.config/autostart". And it starts that "xterm" session in either Gnome or KDE (and probably other desktop environments, but not in Icewm).
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'll add my two cents.

I have an "xterm" session that starts automatically. I set it up with Gnome Tweak tool. It created a ".desktop" file in "$HOME/.config/autostart". And it starts that "xterm" session in either Gnome or KDE (and probably other desktop environments, but not in Icewm).
    Hi
    I use tilda here on Xorg, if on wayland then there is a dropdown shell extension available...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Each user has systemd instance that is started with first login session. It can be used to start user specific programs. Actually, today gnome session runs mostly as systemd user services.
    How can it be done for the case of gnome-terminal ? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r_putzu View Post
    How can it be done for the case of gnome-terminal ?
    I am afraid I do not have Leap 15.2 with GNOME so I cannot check how GNOME session is managed there. The problem is starting program at the right time, which means only when you login graphically and after gnome-terminal-server has been launched. In current GNOME there gnome-session.target so you could make your service WantedBy it.

I think for pure GUI programs it is better to stick with autostart mechanism. Systemd also includes generator that converts autostart into systemd service units (again, I am not sure about Leap 15.2, it may be too old for this).

I run XFCE. In there, in settings, is "Session and Startup". I would guess there will be something very similar in Gnome. You *could* just use xterm, simply click on whatever button would "add" a new startup service, and in the run box type simply
    Code:
    xterm
    Of course, if you want gnome-terminal, you would do similar. To find the exact command, if you do not know it, simply right click on it in your main Gnome menu and choose "Edit ...". You can get the command from there. Or, if you have it in your Panel (Gnome has a panel, doesn't it?) or on your desktop, right-click that and check properties or similar to get the command.

Hehe, of course: Do not change either of those when looking, and just to be certain, hit cancel.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12