Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT How can I connect to anonymous device with only MAC address known.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT How can I connect to anonymous device with only MAC address known.

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Actually my attempt to use the serial connection was with the AP9630 but I have those cards sorted now. My problem on one AP9819 is that there is no serial port on that card!
    Hi
    I would use wireshark and look for the MAC address (add a filter) to see what's what...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT How can I connect to anonymous device with only MAC address known.

A lot of reading for wireshark!!! I think I have it now and scanning is working but a couple of queries.

How do I set the filter to include arp and dhcp traffic and how do I filter output to look for the MAC address I have. No sure how to do this.

I assume I start the scanning and then turn on the UPS which will boot the NMC and look for the results. Is that right?

Blog Entries

A lot of reading for wireshark!!! I think I have it now and scanning is working but a couple of queries.

How do I set the filter to include arp and dhcp traffic and how do I filter output to look for the MAC address I have. No sure how to do this.

I assume I start the scanning and then turn on the UPS which will boot the NMC and look for the results. Is that right?
    Hi
    Yes, need to have it running, you would add `eth.addr == xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx` as the filter.

Blog Entries

Well wireshark is brilliant and now I have the IP address. Trouble is my resetting did not reset the password. The instructions suggest using serial but I have not bee able to get that working because there is no RS232 or any other socket that works so...
    Back to the reading. It is possible that the reset button only works for a short time and then reverts on next boot so will keep trying.
    I can't yet find the coffee button on wireshark but it must be there somewhere as it does everything!
    Regards and thanks for the help.

Blog Entries

Well wireshark is brilliant and now I have the IP address. Trouble is my resetting did not reset the password. The instructions suggest using serial but I have not bee able to get that working because there is no RS232 or any other socket that works so...
    Back to the reading. It is possible that the reset button only works for a short time and then reverts on next boot so will keep trying.
    I can't yet find the coffee button on wireshark but it must be there somewhere as it does everything!
    Regards and thanks for the help.
    Hi
    Did you try the arp and then the additional ping command (very important) to change the ip address?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Did you try the arp and then the additional ping command (very important) to change the ip address?
    I understand and yes but could not get a ping response. I suspect the various firewalls in between but since I had the device to hand and knowing the configured IP, I was nearly there. I had to use the serial port, which I found, in this case not on the card but on the machine into which it fits and that enabled me to change the pw. I could then access the device using browser and change the IP.
    Then an hour upgrading each bin file through several upgrade versions and rebooting between each "put" command so now all devices are up to date and accessible.
    So far so good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12