Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: can not open "NVIDIA x server setting", how know it work

Blog Entries

Default Re: can not open "NVIDIA x server setting", how know it work

Hi
    Offload won't work because no output from xrandr.... whilst I'm an AMD, also have an nvidia card (this is a desktop)...

Code:
    xrandr --listproviders

Providers: number : 2
    Provider 0: id: 0x58; cap: 0xf (Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload); crtcs: 5; outputs: 4; associated providers: 1; name: Radeon RX550/550 Series @ pci:0000:02:00.0
        output HDMI-A-0
        output HDMI-A-1
        output HDMI-A-2
        output HDMI-A-3
    Provider 1: id: 0x215; cap: 0x2 (Sink Output); crtcs: 2; outputs: 2; associated providers: 1; name: NVIDIA-G0
        output DVI-D-1-0
        output HDMI-1-0

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor"

OpenGL vendor string: AMD

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=NVIDIA-G0 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia  glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor"

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Offload won't work because no output from xrandr.... whilst I'm an AMD, also have an nvidia card (this is a desktop)...

Code:
    xrandr --listproviders

Provider 0: id: 0x58; cap: 0xf (Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload); crtcs: 5; outputs: 4; associated providers: 1; name: Radeon RX550/550 Series @ pci:0000:02:00.0
        output HDMI-A-0
        output HDMI-A-1
        output HDMI-A-2
        output HDMI-A-3
    Provider 1: id: 0x215; cap: 0x2 (Sink Output); crtcs: 2; outputs: 2; associated providers: 1; name: NVIDIA-G0
        output DVI-D-1-0
        output HDMI-1-0

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=NVIDIA-G0 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia  glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor"

1- so i follow the instruction in https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

Code:
     sudo zypper in bumblebee bbswitch (Installing bumblebee)  

sudo usermod -aG bumblebee mk (Add user to the bumblebee group)

sudo usermod -aG video mk (Add user to the video group)

sudo systemctl enable bumblebeed (enable bumblebee)
    sudo systemctl start bumblebeed (start bumblebee)

echo "blacklist nouveau" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf (Blacklist nouveau)
    sudo mkinitrd
    2- after that they say "If you plan to use 32bit apps (like steam), install required libraries". as i do not plan so i do not install it.

3- after that they say "optional: install NVIDIA driver (If you want to use the advanced features of the secondary Nvidia graphics card, you can install the proprietary NVIDIA driver as follows). but as i already install them before i stop and go back to run lspci and xrender command and the result as next:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D"
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3977]
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
    --
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 620M/630M/635M/640M LE] [10de:0de9] (rev ff)
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3975]

xrandr --listproviders
    Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyProviders: number : 1
    Provider 0: id: 0x46; cap: 0xf (Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload); crtcs: 3; outputs: 4; associated providers: 0; name: modesetting
        output LVDS-1
        output VGA-1
        output HDMI-1
        output DP-1
    4- if i understod correct our disscion, so depend on lspci and xrander results nividia did not in use. even it look like when use nividia dfault kernal with os preempt kernal. so i go back to follow the "optional: install NVIDIA driver".

5- first step in "optional: install NVIDIA driver" they say "Make sure all lines in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nvidia-gfxG*.conf", but this directory only one file his name is "graphviz.conf". even when i search for all system i did not find file named nvidia-gfxG*.conf (i search for gfxG4, 5 and also with *).

6- did i need to create it or just go to next step. also as the title is "optional: install NVIDIA driver", so did i need unistall the current nvidia drivers?

you know it's first time deal with graphic card, it's very hard to set it with linux.
    knowledge seeker

Quote Originally Posted by naive2021 View Post
    side question, just for feature what is the type of this NVIDIA card. you know there's a lot number (108, 620, 630, 635, 640). so when i go to this page https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us , i did not know what i should choose.
    Hi again,

@naive2021, Thank you very much for the compliments. I'm doing my best. But I have to point out that Malcolm is much more experienced and sophisticated than I am. I'm just an interested user trying to help. However, your question and the result of this:
    Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 620M/630M/635M/640M LE] [10de:0de9] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3902]
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
    made me think.
    I have been searching for GF108M without result. I'd assume it's the GeForce 100M series. GeForce GT 620M/630M etc. lead me here:
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/177153/en-us
    The G05 driver.
    Searching for 100M series leads me here:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/156193/
    Now, that's the G03 driver which has been discontinued. And even on that page I can't find GF108M but only 105M and 110M.
    This one tells me the 108 is "fermi": https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gf108.g82

And on an NVidia Forum page which I can't find anymore the support said in one thread "fermi is not supported (anymore?)". So, I'm not sure what this exactly means:
    GF108M [GeForce GT 620M/630M/635M/640M LE]
    It seems to be misleading. If 108M is the GPU I'm afraid you might not have a driver from the repository available.
    This is where I'm at my wits' end and Malcolm may have more profound knowledge.

Funfact: I wanted to show my optimus config but I seem to have lost my intel due to the last line of my dmesg "broken atomic...":
    Code:
    [  983.089103] broken atomic modeset userspace detected, disabling atomic

pluto:~ # inxi -G

Graphics:  Message: No device data found.  
               Device-1: Quanta type: USB driver: uvcvideo  
               Display:server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver:loaded: modesetting,nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz  
               OpenGL:renderer: GeForce MX150/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.144 
    So I'm left with my nvidia card which is fine by me now. However, can you post your "inxi -G"? Just to see if it is referring to GF108M only, or to GT6xx as well?

Quote Originally Posted by kasi042 View Post
    Hi again,

@naive2021, Thank you very much for the compliments. I'm doing my best. But I have to point out that Malcolm is much more experienced and sophisticated than I am. I'm just an interested user trying to help. However, your question and the result of this:
    made me think.
    I have been searching for GF108M without result. I'd assume it's the GeForce 100M series. GeForce GT 620M/630M etc. lead me here:
    https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/177153/en-us
    The G05 driver.
    Searching for 100M series leads me here:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/156193/
    Now, that's the G03 driver which has been discontinued. And even on that page I can't find GF108M but only 105M and 110M.
    This one tells me the 108 is "fermi": https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gf108.g82

you know

And on an NVidia Forum page which I can't find anymore the support said in one thread "fermi is not supported (anymore?)". So, I'm not sure what this exactly means:
    GF108M [GeForce GT 620M/630M/635M/640M LE]
    It seems to be misleading. If 108M is the GPU I'm afraid you might not have a driver from the repository available.
    This is where I'm at my wits' end and Malcolm may have more profound knowledge.

Funfact: I wanted to show my optimus config but I seem to have lost my intel due to the last line of my dmesg "broken atomic...":
    Code:
    [  983.089103] broken atomic modeset userspace detected, disabling atomic

pluto:~ # inxi -G

Graphics:  Message: No device data found.  
               Device-1: Quanta type: USB driver: uvcvideo  
               Display:server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver:loaded: modesetting,nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz  
               OpenGL:renderer: GeForce MX150/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.144 
    So I'm left with my nvidia card which is fine by me now. However, can you post your "inxi -G"? Just to see if it is referring to GF108M only, or to GT6xx as well?
    all thanks for you both, really thanks. as this first time deal with graphic card + system administration, it's impossible to do any thing without support of you and our friend @Malcolm.

out pout of inxi -G (show same result, if i understand correct)

Code:
    inxi -G
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
      Device-2: NVIDIA GF108M [GeForce GT 620M/630M/635M/640M LE] driver: N/A 
      Device-3: Acer Lenovo Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: modesetting FAILED: nvidia 
      resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2) 
      v: 4.2 Mesa 20.2.4
    i keep thinking if installing opensuse generic version, then cinnamon one click can be connected with this problem. also is there's chance if i install opensuse gnome the problem solve.
    i do not know a lot about "broken atomic...", but i hope you can find a solution and solve it easily (English my second language so did not catch all words, but still can get the over all meaning).

in my case the Funfact the laptop was come with preinstalled win os and work good, but i decide test linux on it. and the problem i follow in love with opensuse + debian OS and the most amazing environment from my side "cinnamon".
    knowledge seeker

I find it rather confusing this reference to GPU or "GPU product". I think I mistook both:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gf108.g82
    So, gladly, your card is supported - I had a wrong apprehension:
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...rtedchips.html
    Here, with a different card but the same GPU, there is one hint:
    https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...on-free/176178

Please set kernel parameter
    nvidia-drm.modeset=1
    It might be worth a try? Else, I don't know. Probably Malcolm can give more advice?

Quote Originally Posted by kasi042 View Post
    I find it rather confusing this reference to GPU or "GPU product". I think I mistook both:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gf108.g82
    So, gladly, your card is supported - I had a wrong apprehension:
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...rtedchips.html
    Here, with a different card but the same GPU, there is one hint:
    https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...on-free/176178

It might be worth a try? Else, I don't know. Probably Malcolm can give more advice?
    many thanks friend. i will try with live cd (preset environment) and see what will happen. i normally run the machine without graphic card (do not need graphic card) but during assemble the machine find it so added it and try use it.

again many thanks for both of you
    knowledge seeker

Hi

Code:
    xrandr --listproviders

output HDMI-A-0
        output HDMI-A-1
        output HDMI-A-2
        output HDMI-A-3
        output DVI-D-1-0
        output HDMI-1-0

i reinstall opensuse but this time with gnome environment, then install cinnamon using terminal "sudo zypper in cinnamon". after that run xrandr, lspci, uname -a. and gives me new results. if i understood correct that's the normal results.

Code:
    xrandr --listproviders
    Provider 0: id: 0x8e; cap: 0xf (Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload); crtcs: 3; outputs: 4; associated providers: 1; name: modesetting
        output LVDS-1
        output VGA-1
        output HDMI-1
        output DP-1
    Provider 1: id: 0x62; cap: 0x7 (Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload); crtcs: 2; outputs: 1; associated providers: 1; name: nouveau
        output VGA-1-2
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D"
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3977]
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
    --
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 620M/630M/635M/640M LE] [10de:0de9] (rev a1)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:3902]
        Kernel driver in use: nouveau
        Kernel modules: nouveau
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux localhost.localdomain 5.3.18-57-default #1 SMP Wed Apr 28 10:54:41 UTC 2021 (ba3c2e9) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    1- so with this new resualts is there's chance to set it?
    2- did the fourm rules require make new thired, or it's ok to stay here?
    3- this time i do not come near to nvidia, to be sure no interference happen betwwen what i do and your instration.
    knowledge seeker

Blog Entries

Hi
    The xrandr output looks good now

So does the following work with nouveau?

Code:
    __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=nouveau __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nouveau  glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor

Hi
    The xrandr output looks good now

So does the following work with nouveau?

Code:
    __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=nouveau __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nouveau  glxinfo | grep "OpenGL vendor
    also the other problem (open as root) work correct now

simple note: i did not do any thing for NVIDIA. by other words i did not add NVIDIA repository or install NVIDIA drivers. so should i run your command directly or should i install x11-video-nvidiaG04 and nvidia-glG04 first (before run your command)?
    knowledge seeker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by naive2021 View Post
    also the other problem (open as root) work correct now

simple note: i did not do any thing for NVIDIA. by other words i did not add NVIDIA repository or install NVIDIA drivers. so should i run your command directly or should i install x11-video-nvidiaG04 and nvidia-glG04 first (before run your command)?
    Hi
    Yes, run that command as it is and see if it offloads with the nouveau driver.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast