Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot SSH into network device

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cannot SSH into network device

OK so all plugged in and using PuTTY but how do I find which connection to use. All I have offered so far is
    Code:
    /dev/ttyS0
    . How do I find which is connecting to my USB port?
    I think I have it with /dev/ttyUSB0. Will press on.

Blog Entries

Not getting on very well. As soon as I touch the keyboard Putty closes. I presume I have the wrong settings or protocol. I have set serial to /dev/ttyUSB0 with the required Baud rate of 57600, 8 bits data, no parity, 1 stop bit no flow control. Then in Sessions screen I have selected Serial and enabled logging and enabled never close. I hope all the rest will use working defaults so have opened the application and that gives me a new black terminal window.
    Getting the next bit right is where I fall down. The instructions say;-
    1. Press the Reset button on the NMC (or reseat - unplug/replug the NMC back into the card slot) then immediately and consistently press the Enter key on the keyboard.

As soon as I do that the Putty window closes. Poof!

Blog Entries

Hi
    So you can ping the ip address Yes or No?

If so have you tried the following Yes or No?

Code:
    ssh -c 3des-cbc user@ipaddress
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

OK. All good after I found an FAQ which gave me the info I needed for a full manual installation. Nothing else APC advised worked and the "wizard" must have broken his wand! Fortunately the static IP I had set remained and I was able to install the three files needed using ftp.

It took me more time to find the right set of binaries because the APC filter system for downloads is rubbish and I had to wade through 40+ pages of download links until I found what has turned out to be an acceptable candidate. (My UPS is now well out of date and superseded by hundreds of more recent models).

However I am not quite at the happy ending because the NMC I borrowed turns out to be several points behind on the version numbers, so I want to upgrade this before I put it back whence it came.

My problem is that this NMC refuses my ftp connection thus:-

Code:
    alastair@localhost:~> ftp 192.168.169.132 
    ftp: Can't connect to `192.168.169.132:21': Connection refused 
    ftp: Can't connect to `192.168.169.132:ftp' 
    ftp> 

As far as I a concerned the cards are essentially identical with the same IP (only one is live) so what do I look for to get ftp access please? The Firewall etc has not been changed but I have done the work with the card plugged into my laptop nic, not over the network, which is what I did before.

Blog Entries

All sorted now. There is a setting in the NMC config file for ftp which had not been enabled. Now all working fine and up to date.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12