Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot SSH into network device

Blog Entries

Default Cannot SSH into network device

I am trying to connect to a network device using ssh.

I get the following result:-

Code:
    Unable to negotiate with 192.168.169.132 port 22: no matching host key type found. Their offer: ssh-rsa

I have spent a long time on Google trying to find solution but still not getting a connection.

Please can somebody help.

Default AW: Cannot SSH into network device

Is this your Server?
    Code:
    Change on the Server:
    PasswordAuthentication no
    to
    PasswordAuthentication yes

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Restart the ssh-Server.

Default Re: Cannot SSH into network device

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Code:
    Unable to negotiate with 192.168.169.132 port 22: no matching host key type found. Their offer: ssh-rsa

I have spent a long time on Google trying to find solution but still not getting a connection.
    Code:
    ssh -o "HostKeyAlgorithms ssh-rsa" user@hostname
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Is this your Server?
    Code:
    Change on the Server:
    How is host key related to authentication? Authentication happens after connection to host is established.

Blog Entries

Default Re: AW: Cannot SSH into network device

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Is this your Server?
    Code:
    Change on the Server:
    to
    PasswordAuthentication yes

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Restart the ssh-Server.
    Many thanks. A couple of questions:
    The IP address is the fixed address of the remote (client?) network device.
    My laptop is on another dhcp address on same subnet.
    I have no sshd_config file, only two directories ssh_config.d and sshd_config.d
    I assume I create a sshd_config file but am not sure about syntax and context. Should I just create the sshd_config file and have one line PasswordAuthentication yes?

Blog Entries

I have tried the suggested fix and now I get a different error:-
    Code:
    Unable to negotiate with 192.168.169.132 port 22: no matching cipher found. Their offer: aes256-cbc,3des-cbc

What is missing here. Is it a problem with out of date firmware on the network device or some setting on my laptop?

Blog Entries

Hi
    So you need to be more clear in describing the issue

The target system is 192.168.169.132, your on a host at the same ip address 192.168.169.xxx?

Say you want to setup root user access;

Code:
    ssh-copy-id root@192.168.169.132
    If just your user to the same user on 192.168.169.132 then just copy-id to the ip address.

No local configuration required....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    I have tried the suggested fix and now I get a different error:-
    Code:
    Unable to negotiate with 192.168.169.132 port 22: no matching cipher found. Their offer: aes256-cbc,3des-cbc

What is missing here. Is it a problem with out of date firmware on the network device or some setting on my laptop?
    Hi
    The cipher option.....

Code:
    ssh -Q cipher

ssh -c aes256-cbc user@host

ssh -c 3des-cbc user@host

Blog Entries

I shall explain in more detail.

I have an APC UPS which has a Network Management Card (NMC) on which I was trying to update the firmware. This was supposed to be done using an APC Windoze app and I implemented this using a copper connection from NIC configured on the same subnet.

Unfortunately the update crashed before completion and left me with a broken system which I was not able to revive but which I could still access because the IP remained working and I was able to access using ftp. Looking round all the accessible directories on the device it seems that there could be quite a lot missing including the config.ini file.

My plan is therefore to copy the config.ini from another NMC borrowed from a working system. There are instructions for doing this in the APC manuals but I need to access both devices using ftp.

I had been trying to access the working device first using ssh because I am working across network with wifi and managed switches in between and was not sure about ftp. This is where I have reached.

The ssh exercise was me being side tracked as I really should be using ftp but I do need to follow the APC instructions for getting the good config.ini from my working device and all attempts get me connection refused thus:-
    Code:
    alastair@localhost:~> ftp 192.168.169.132 
    ftp: Can't connect to `192.168.169.132:21': Connection refused 
    ftp: Can't connect to `192.168.169.132:ftp'

This was with the working machine plugged into the network but I have physical access so could use a copper connection if that would be better. This is where I am stuck.

If my plan fails and the damaged NMC still fails, there are instructions for how to start over using a serial connection. These are clear but I shall need help with using the USB to serial adaptor which I have but have no idea how to configure and then I have to root the machine!

If you have time helping me to ftp to the working machine please tell me where I should start as that would at least get me a copy of the working config.ini file.

Regards,
    Budge.

Blog Entries

Hi
    Surely there is a way to restore from such a situation? Like a factory reset, recover from being bricked etc....?

Blog Entries

Not found a factory reset but only one link on the APC website which seems hopeful:-
    Video: Using Network Management Card 2 (NMC2) bootmonitor to recover/upgrade firmware
    This requires using serial port connection. On further searching and reading I think I should go straight to this but will need help with setting up the USB-serial connection. It gives me the port parameters but finding which connection is the one on my laptop is a challenge. This is how it starts...

Resolution
    The BootMonitor is roughly equivalent to the BIOS in a computer system. It offers users the ability to connect to it by using a serial communications cable. Once connected the user can query the BootMonitor for NMC related information, upload firmware files and reset/format the NMC by issuing relevant commands (a full list of commands is available in Appendix A at the end of this guide).
    The following steps highlight how to connect to the NMC BootMonitor (Steps 1 - 3), how to reset the card to the default factory settings (Steps 4 - 5) and how to upload firmware files by using XMODEM (Steps 6 - 10).
    I shall try and follow this and call for help when connected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast