Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could not resolve host: download.opensuse.org

Default Could not resolve host: download.opensuse.org

Code:
    Ophalen: libkdepim-21.08.2-1.1.x86_64.rpm .......................................................................................................................................................................[fout] 
    Fout bij downloaden (curl) 'http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/libkdepim-21.08.2-1.1.x86_64.rpm':
    Foutcode: Curl error 52                                                                                                                                                                                                
    Foutbericht: Empty reply from server                                                                                                                                                                                   

Afbreken, opnieuw proberen, negeren? [a/o/n/...? alle opties tonen] (a): o 
    Ophalen: libkdepim-21.08.2-1.1.x86_64.rpm .......................................................................................................................................................................[fout] 
    Fout bij downloaden (curl) 'http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/libkdepim-21.08.2-1.1.x86_64.rpm':
    Foutcode: Connection failed                                                                                                                                                                                            
    Foutbericht: Could not resolve host: download.opensuse.org                                                                                                                                                             

Afbreken, opnieuw proberen, negeren? [a/o/n/...? alle opties tonen] (a): 

I would like to know if I am just unlucky or if there is a bigger problem.

This happens a lot lately, about 1 in 2 times, when I try to update (zypper dup). Do I maybe need to switch to a different download server ?

Default Re: Could not resolve host: download.opensuse.org

After waiting for 20 min or so I tried again

It contunued but:

Code:
    Ophalen: plasma-nm5-pptp-5.23.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm ..................................................................................................................................................................[fout]
    Time-out overschreden bij toegang tot 'http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/plasma-nm5-pptp-5.23.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm'.
    Afbreken, opnieuw proberen, negeren? [a/o/n] (o): 
    Opnieuw proberen...
    So I picked retry, and then the update did finish.

This happens sometimes. I normally do what you do, perhaps do not even wait 20 mins, and things go well afterwards. I do not think it is normally something to worry about, unless it persists.

Two remarks about posting between CODE tags.
    • Please always include the line with the command. Now we have only output, but we have no idea what you did to get it. Do not make it more problematic for your potential helpers.
    • When you use a non-English system and want to post here in the English section, then precede your command with LANG=C, e.g.
      Code:
       LANG=C zypper up
      , then others can also understand the output.
    Henk van Velden

I had already posted in my first post, I was doing zypper dup.

I also set the terminal to English.

Code:
    ~> sudo zypper dup 
    [sudo] password for root:  
    Retrieving repository 'Packman Repository' metadata .............................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Building repository 'Packman Repository' cache ..................................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE:Tumbleweed' metadata ............................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Building repository 'openSUSE:Tumbleweed' cache .................................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss' metadata ....................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Building repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss' cache .........................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss' metadata ........................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Building repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss' cache .............................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 
    Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command. 
    Computing distribution upgrade...

Code:
    Retrieving: libKF5DBusAddons5-lang-5.87.0-1.1.noarch.rpm ..........................................................................................................................................................[error] 
    Download (curl) error for 'https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/noarch/libKF5DBusAddons5-lang-5.87.0-1.1.noarch.rpm':
    Error code: Curl error 16                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    Error message:                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/...? shows all options] (a): 

As I said it happens a lot, I wonder if I should ignore it ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gps2010 View Post
    If you ignore (with "I"), then when it has finished downloading it will tell you that there were errors and it skips actual installing. You have to rerun the command for that (which uses the packages that you already downloaded).

You might instead try "r" (for retry). If that works, it will be the easiest.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

As I said it happens a lot...
    Perhaps try temporarily specifying a mirror directly instead of download.opensuse.org and see how it goes.

Mirrors are listed here: https://mirrors.opensuse.org/

But note the message at the top of the page, regarding direct use of a mirror.
    Regards, Paul

Interesting, I see servers in my country (Netherlands) and in a neighbor country ( gemany).

Its worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If you ignore (with "I"), then when it has finished downloading it will tell you that there were errors and it skips actual installing. You have to rerun the command for that (which uses the packages that you already downloaded).

You might instead try "r" (for retry). If that works, it will be the easiest.
    I usual pick retry, but sometimes that does not help, and then after 3 times I give up.

Yesterdays update did finish, but I had to choose retry twice. It twice got stuck.

I had already posted in my first post, I was doing zypper dup.

I also set the terminal to English.

Code:
    ~> sudo zypper dup 
    [sudo] password for root:  
    Retrieving repository 'Packman Repository' metadata .............................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Building repository 'Packman Repository' cache ..................................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE:Tumbleweed' metadata ............................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Building repository 'openSUSE:Tumbleweed' cache .................................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss' metadata ....................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Building repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Non-Oss' cache .........................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Retrieving repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss' metadata ........................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Building repository 'openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss' cache .............................................................................................................................................................[done] 
    Loading repository data... 
    Reading installed packages... 
    Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure these repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about this command. 
    Computing distribution upgrade...

Code:
    Retrieving: libKF5DBusAddons5-lang-5.87.0-1.1.noarch.rpm ..........................................................................................................................................................[error] 
    Download (curl) error for 'https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/noarch/libKF5DBusAddons5-lang-5.87.0-1.1.noarch.rpm':
    Error code: Curl error 16                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    Error message:                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/...? shows all options] (a): 

In case of error run the following command to identify the mirror causing the problem:
    Code:
    i3-4130:~ # wget http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/plasma-nm5-pptp-5.23.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm 
    --2021-10-22 14:26:56--  http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/plasma-nm5-pptp-5.23.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm 
    Resolving download.opensuse.org (download.opensuse.org)... 2001:67c:2178:8::13, 195.135.221.134 
    Connecting to download.opensuse.org (download.opensuse.org)|2001:67c:2178:8::13|:80... connected. 
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found 
    Location: http://opensuse.schlundtech.de/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/plasma-nm5-pptp-5.23.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm [following] 
    --2021-10-22 14:26:56--  http://opensuse.schlundtech.de/tumbleweed/repo/oss/x86_64/plasma-nm5-pptp-5.23.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm 
    Resolving opensuse.schlundtech.de (opensuse.schlundtech.de)... 2001:67c:299c:3999:91:237:88:60, 91.237.88.60 
    Connecting to opensuse.schlundtech.de (opensuse.schlundtech.de)|2001:67c:299c:3999:91:237:88:60|:80... connected. 
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK 
    Length: 104233 (102K) [application/x-redhat-package-manager] 
    Saving to: ‘plasma-nm5-pptp-5.23.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm’ 

plasma-nm5-pptp-5.23.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm                               100%[=================================================================================================================================================================>] 101.79K  --.-KB/s    in 0.08s    

2021-10-22 14:26:56 (1.25 MB/s) - ‘plasma-nm5-pptp-5.23.0-1.1.x86_64.rpm’ saved [104233/104233] 

i3-4130:~ #

AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (2020), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast